British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   1st Kiwi Christmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/1st-kiwi-christmas-645292/)

AndyR Dec 18th 2009 5:54 am

1st Kiwi Christmas

OK, tomorrow the misses and I will be landing in Auckland which will hopefully be the start of our new life.

We had originally applied for PR in OZ but this hasn't worked out as OZ immigration changed the rules after we applied and now it won't come through, so we are coming to NZ instead and are both really looking forward to it!

As its getting close to xmas, is there anything specific that New Zealander's do for Christmas? Just so we can feel part of it really as like in the UK you do Turkey, in Oz people told us its bacon butties on the beach. So what's the Kiwi Christmas?

Much appreciated!

Andy

Justcol Dec 18th 2009 6:43 am

Re: 1st Kiwi Christmas

Most of the people we know are doing the traditional xmas dinner thing.
For many kiwis the xmas break is when they take their annual holiday
so there is a mix of stay at home traditional stuff and by the beach with the family.
We dont get the same weather as oz so while it may be warm theres no
guarrenteing it wont be overcast or even a little rain.
If your staying in auckland i would go to the beach whatever the weather
just to get it out of way, and it looks good when you email pictures back to the uk

AndyR Dec 18th 2009 9:06 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8182216)
Most of the people we know are doing the traditional xmas dinner thing.
For many kiwis the xmas break is when they take their annual holiday
so there is a mix of stay at home traditional stuff and by the beach with the family.
We dont get the same weather as oz so while it may be warm theres no
guarrenteing it wont be overcast or even a little rain.
If your staying in auckland i would go to the beach whatever the weather
just to get it out of way, and it looks good when you email pictures back to the uk

Thanks for the reply, much appriciated!

Anyone recommend any good beaches to go to in the Auckland area for xmas, would prefer public transport if poss?

pricklykina Dec 18th 2009 9:16 am

Public transport is free on Christmas day in Auckland...How responsible is that!

pricklykina Dec 18th 2009 9:18 am

Cornwall Park is lovely on Christmas day...better if you can bag a barbie...otherwise a picnic will do

Not sure how busy Long bay is on Christmas Day
But with Public transport ...Mission bay is always pretty neat...or Takapuna or Cheltenham Beach

Stormer999 Dec 18th 2009 10:29 am

Far as I can gather a lot of Kiwi's do something with a BBQ, a can of beer and a chicken.....you will have to ask a Kiwi where they put the can of beer! :o:rofl:

BEVS Dec 18th 2009 8:47 pm

A large ham is traditional Christmas fare. Baked or cold. They have that and then take it on their hols with them when they go camping up and over the New Year.

Mostly they don't leave for their hols until after Christmas and Boxing day. After that the camp sites start to fill up and will be very full.

MooMoo290373 Dec 18th 2009 9:30 pm

1!st Kiwi Christmas for us too !!!:eek:

Although it won`t be quite the same we are gonna do the traditional roast as hubby wants one, and as he has to work christmas day i feel that i should give in and do one !!!! What we would really like to of done was BBQ on the beach :D:D

kiwinow Dec 19th 2009 2:41 am

To whoever wondered where to stick the can of beer on the chicken: I think Beer Butt Chicken is an Australian thing, although Canadians seem to know about it too. I've lived in NZ for many years and I'd never heard about it until I came on this site and started looking at moving to Oz. In Australia they even sell the stands to hold the chicken upright over the can of beer, but I haven't seen them here. :thumbdown:

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 19th 2009 2:43 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 8184609)
To whoever wondered where to stick the can of beer on the chicken: I think Beer Butt Chicken is an Australian thing, although Canadians seem to know about it too. I've lived in NZ for many years and I'd never heard about it until I came on this site and started looking at moving to Oz. In Australia they even sell the stands to hold the chicken upright over the can of beer, but I haven't seen them here. :thumbdown:

They sell them in Stevens & other Kitchen & Barbie shops :)

nero Dec 19th 2009 3:47 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 8184609)
In Australia they even sell the stands to hold the chicken upright over the can of beer, but I haven't seen them here. :thumbdown:

They sell them in Bunnings and also the BBQ factory. This method of cooking is also used in South Africa and Zimbawe. Tried a few weeks ago and it was very tasty, keeps the chicken very moist and tasty. Can use beer or coke or whatever you fancy.

Stormer999 Dec 19th 2009 11:24 am

We must point out that the chicken has to be dead............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

teebrown Dec 19th 2009 6:21 pm

Our first one too, we are going to go out on the boat, with BBQ in hand, heading for quail Island in Chch, come rain or shine, we will Barbie on Christmas day (just so we can said we did it).

Have a great christmas, we are loving it here.:thumbup:

Justcol Dec 19th 2009 6:51 pm

Can someboby please explain this cooking method for me??
I'm completely lost.

nero Dec 19th 2009 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8185839)
Can someboby please explain this cooking method for me??
I'm completely lost.

Check out this website below or just pop into google 'beer in the butt chicken' and you will get lots of recipes etc

http://bbq.about.com/cs/chicken/a/aa100400a.htm