British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   16 year old moving to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/16-year-old-moving-nz-933553/)

helen roberts Jul 2nd 2020 10:25 am

16 year old moving to NZ

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone could help. We are hoping to move to NZ but it will depend on my husband’s job. (Thats probably another thread - he’s an Infrastructure Architect for BNY (the Bank of New York) and he won’t give this job up unless he can get something equally good. Anyway, back to this post... my 16 year old daughter is keen for an adventure whether we go or not and so wants to do sixth form in NZ and live with my cousin in Auckland. I would be happy for her to do it even though I would miss her but don’t know how possible it is as she’s under 18. Can anyone advise? Thank you so much.

scot47 Jul 2nd 2020 4:04 pm

Re: 16 year old moving to NZ

Student visa ? Who will support her ?

helen roberts Jul 2nd 2020 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12875343)
Student visa ? Who will support her ?

we would support her. Yes student visa I guess!!

spouse of scouse Jul 2nd 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by helen roberts (Post 12875170)
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone could help. We are hoping to move to NZ but it will depend on my husband’s job. (Thats probably another thread - he’s an Infrastructure Architect for BNY (the Bank of New York) and he won’t give this job up unless he can get something equally good. Anyway, back to this post... my 16 year old daughter is keen for an adventure whether we go or not and so wants to do sixth form in NZ and live with my cousin in Auckland. I would be happy for her to do it even though I would miss her but don’t know how possible it is as she’s under 18. Can anyone advise? Thank you so much.

Hi Helen. This NZ government website re coming to NZ to study may be of assistance, I've linked to the parents advice page but there is a lot of other information there, including a chat bot to answer questions https://www.studyinnewzealand.govt.nz/why-nz/parents

Justcol Jul 3rd 2020 7:34 am

School years are out of sync, would possibly be placed in a year she has just completed

Curriculums are completely different, would spend a lot of time fluctuating between frustration and bewilderment.

If the sole purpose is to gain University entry then it wouldn't be too bad but the standard of education would suffer..

Mine was 17 in arrival. Ex Selective Grammer school in the UK. Hated the school system here. Went back to UK for uni and stayed

carcajou Jul 4th 2020 6:30 am

There are lots of study abroad programs that allow high school students to study for 3 months or so, somewhere else. I think that is probably more viable in this case.

Then if she still wants to go she can apply for a place at an NZ uni. The University of Auckland and the University of Otago are both top-100.

BEVS Jul 4th 2020 6:55 am

Skip that idea entirely IMVHO. Stick with school where she is.
Afterward uplift an working holiday visa, if and when that happens post COVID, and have an adventure

AFAIK international student visas are on hold for now. COVID 19.

christmasoompa Jul 4th 2020 7:00 am

Another thing to factor in is that if she wanted to return to the UK for uni, you could end up paying international tuition rates as she wouldn’t have been resident there for the 3 years prior.

Depends on your financial situation of course, but that may be something to consider.

scot47 Jul 4th 2020 7:09 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12876272)
Afterward uplift an working holiday visa, if and when that happens post COVID, and have an adventure

AFAIK international student visas are on hold for now. COVID 19.

Bevs is right

Pulaski Jul 4th 2020 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12875702)
School years are out of sync, would possibly be placed in a year she has just completed

Curriculums are completely different, would spend a lot of time fluctuating between frustration and bewilderment. ....

:goodpost: This!

There is a corps of us here on BE who consistently recommend against moving teenagers between countries and educational systems if it is reasonably avoidable. So moving a 16 year old to another country for no discernible reason other than "they feel like it," is definitely something that a number of us would recommend be avoided.

KOH2 Jul 6th 2020 7:21 am

Anyway, back to this post... my 16 year old daughter is keen for an adventure whether we go or not and so wants to do sixth form in NZ and live with my cousin in Auckland. I would be happy for her to do it even though I would miss her but don’t know how possible it is as she’s under 18. Can anyone advise? Thank you so much.

What plans has your daughter got for her future? Is she social, outgoing? Has she travelled/lived around the UK/Europe/world much?
Both our kids spent a year in the Canadian education system (living with a family member) prior to moving to NZ and they loved it (they were 13 & 11 at the time). Upon moving to NZ they both hated the local education system (bullying played a part too) and the older one evacuated back to Canada and the younger one decided to home school following the British curriculum. Granted we ended up in a small provincial town after living in the south east with weekly trips to London and such like.
If you look at it as an eye-opening experience (and you don't need to focus on the grades so much) I'm all for it although as others have suggested she could also easily do that within a year or two on WHV.

garethwm Jul 6th 2020 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12876272)

Agree. There is so much uncertainty at the moment. What happens if Covid takes off further? She should be with her family in these uncertain times IMO.

Charismatic Jul 7th 2020 6:03 am

We are hoping to move to NZ but it will depend on my husband’s job. (Thats probably another thread - he’s an Infrastructure Architect for BNY (the Bank of New York) and he won’t give this job up unless he can get something equally good.

Kiwibank where hiring for similar roles recently. Someone there asked me about it but I wasn't interested because their track record varies between miserable and abject failure, if your husband is looking for a challenge though...
​​​​​​