Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

14 year olds education!!

14 year olds education!!

Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ninja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really nice
Smile 14 year olds education!!

Hi Everyone,

We are planning to emigrate to NZ in approx 3 years time when i leave the Army. I am un-decided at the moment with what i plan to do as a career, but my wife is a qualified ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) and is fairly confident of getting a job.

My problem is that our son will be 14 years old when we decide to make the move. He is currently at a boarding school and loves it!!! I am concerned that his education may suffer.
When would he start the NZ equivelent of GCSE`s?
What age will he leave school?(DOB 06/07/97)
What are the higher education options in NZ?

If we decide to stay in the UK until he finishes his GCSE`s, i will have to stay in the Army for another 2-3 years (sick of Iraq!) and my wife is concerned that we will be a bit too old to start afresh in NZ! (I am 41 and my wife is 42)
HELP!!! We really want to move to NZ but we can`t decide whats for the best!
Has anybody else been in the same situation?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: 14 year olds education!!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I can, I have a 17 year old and a 14 year old in college (high school) myself. Year 11 is the year that kids take their exams. NCEA (http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/ncea/) is what he will be taking or some schools offer the international Cambridge course http://www.acsnz.org.nz/. Looking at your sons DOB I am sure he will start year 11 in the February when he is 15, turning 16 in July and then taking his exams from October the same year. Kids generally stay on at school for two years of further study before looking at going on to further education at university, a polytechnic or institute of technology http://www.newzealandeducationguide.com/. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You will not be too old at all. You are not too old until you are 56.

Perhaps you should ask your teenager what he wants. I have seen several instances of unhappy teenagers here making a right hash of their lives because they were uprooted from happy school and social lives.

If you are coming , make it sooner rather than later. Of course, this is just my opinion based on personal experience and what I have seen of expats with teenagers around me. The earlier the kids come , the better they can settle.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You know, the above sounds a wee bit harsh doesn't it ^^ Sorry for that. It wasn't meant like that at all. I was probably up too late . Have some karma and I hope you manage to make a good family decision, whatever that is.

As your wife is an ODP , I also don't see any probs with her finding a job offer here when the time comes.