Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

14 year old charged with backpacker murder

14 year old charged with backpacker murder

Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default 14 year old charged with backpacker murder

Not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7302012.stm

I know there was a lot of interest about it initially.

G
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:33 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Default Re: 14 year old charged with backpacker murder

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Too much reality for this little neck of the woods I'm afraid.
But thanks, didn't see that in the nzherald this morning?

The parents of that 'child' should be dealt with too:curse:awful

Condolences to the family.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:37 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

G
Not sure it has been on the forum but I certainly heard it on the radio today. Never a good thing, wherever it happens
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:00 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

14 is too young to be charged with murder in New Zealand, yes?

Looks like he'll have to stay at home for a few years......
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank you Grayling. Yes, it was reported this evening.

I'm sure the BE community will echo my heartfelt condolences to the family for the terrible, jagged loss they have suffered. I do hope this family find some peace somehow in the weeks, months and years to come .
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:17 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Avid
14 is too young to be charged with murder in New Zealand, yes?

Looks like he'll have to stay at home for a few years......
Don't know about that Avid, 12 year old Bailey somebody been locked up since he was 12, now 19 for being party to a bashing to death of a Chinese pizza delivery guy?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Thank you Grayling. Yes, it was reported this evening.
I only posted it because it was on BBC news this morning and I had not read anything about it on here.

G
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I only posted it because it was on BBC news this morning and I had not read anything about it on here.

G
No worries Grayling. I only caught it on the late news myself. The thanks was genuinely meant.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BEVS here
No worries Grayling. I only caught it on the late news myself. The thanks was genuinely meant.

Sorry Bev.....I did not think you meant otherwise

I do remember that the original thread, at the time of the murder, did generate a few bad feelings though.

G
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:40 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a headline on UK Skynews a couple of hours back - a 14 year old. What on earth motivates a kid to do something like this?
her family must be relieved that the person responsible for their daughter's death has been charged.

Just what a child of his age was doing out on the street at small hours of the morning does make one question as to whether his parents/carers should bear some responsibility for his actions.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Am Loolah, I believe he (Bailey Junior Kurariki ) was the youngest 'convicted killer' ever to be sentenced; his was for manslaughter, but I know little about the case or circumstances as to why it was manslaughter and not murder.

The criminal age of responsibility is 10, the only difference is in which jurisdiction of court they are dealt with. I understand they are dealt with by the Youth court up to the age of 14 and then after that, the law would consider any responsiblity for action in the same way as an adult and he will be treated as an adult in terms of the court process, but possibly not in terms of sentencing.

It'll be interesting to hear the whole story, how a 14 year old boy from Auckland can be out at that time of night in Rotorua to have committed such a crime. Shameful!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:41 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Taupo, not Rotorua. That's where he was in court.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

emmiegiggles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Am Loolah, I believe he (Bailey Junior Kurariki ) was the youngest 'convicted killer' ever to be sentenced; his was for manslaughter, but I know little about the case or circumstances as to why it was manslaughter and not murder.

The criminal age of responsibility is 10, the only difference is in which jurisdiction of court they are dealt with. I understand they are dealt with by the Youth court up to the age of 14 and then after that, the law would consider any responsiblity for action in the same way as an adult and he will be treated as an adult in terms of the court process, but possibly not in terms of sentencing.

It'll be interesting to hear the whole story, how a 14 year old boy from Auckland can be out at that time of night in Rotorua to have committed such a crime. Shameful!
i have a 14 year old son and i would never dream of letting him out that late. mind you he would never even dream about anything like this.

all i can think is "what has he been exposed to?"