Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

102-year-old quitting Britain for New Zealand

102-year-old quitting Britain for New Zealand

Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Post 102-year-old quitting Britain for New Zealand

London - A 102-year-old man was setting sail on Saturday to start a new life in New Zealand, becoming Britain's oldest emigrant in the process, BBC television reported.

Eric King-Turner and his New Zealander wife Doris, 87, have decided to leave their village in Hampshire, southern England, for the city of Nelson on the South Island, seeking adventure and a cure for her homesickness.

"I think I possibly like wandering about a bit. I somehow thought that it might be rather fun to move to New Zealand," said sprightly retired dentist Eric, who served on HMS Invincible during World War II.

"We haven't seen all the things in England we would have liked but we've also seen a lot on the continent and in the Mediterranean and I thought she was a little bit homesick.

"I have to live from day to day. I can't seriously look past tomorrow morning because at my age, at 102, people go to bed at night and they don't make up in the morning.

"I am resigned to that but I've made no arrangements to die at all," he joked.

"When I'm 105 I don't want to be thinking, 'I wish I had moved to the other side of the world when I was 102'."

The couple, both widowed, have been married for 13 years and shared the same surname. They met when the New Zealand King-Turners researched their ancestry in Britain.

They set sail from Southampton on Saturday.

Courtesy of iol.co.za
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 102-year-old quitting Britain for New Zealand

"When I'm 105 I don't want to be thinking, 'I wish I had moved to the other side of the world when I was 102'."

Priceless! What a great optimistic kinda guy. And heres my OH aged 39 sitting in Scotland sayin.......... What if ??