Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

100% Pure Rip-off NZ

100% Pure Rip-off NZ

Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:24 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100% Pure Rip-off NZ

Agree that generally cost of living is high vis-a-vis incomes. I disagree it is because of rip-offs. Its more because incomes are low, that many costs are global costs; eg. oil, electronics, food etc, that land is in demand (perhaps overpriced), and that it is hard to get economies of scale like ASDA, Tescos, IKEA and the like can achieve. Tax is the same scale thing at work, it costs more per person to run a small country.

The only potential rip off that I am aware of is the surpermarket duopoly, but even then people can shop around if they want.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:57 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Averages are pretty meaningless in this discussion, everyone will look at their own income and expenses before coming to an opinion, that is why there are no single answers to these sorts of discussions here.

Also, peeps who want to emigrate and are on here are statistically a self-selecting sample who have largely already come to the conclusion that NZ is better for THEM, irrespective of the UK average wage vs UK RPI or the NZ equivalents...

UK is a rip off for some things, NZ no doubt is for some things....which you buy affects you view as does your personal price sensitivity to those items....

No harm in the discussion obviously but you canĀ“t expect everyone to fall into line with a view based on averages, everyone will compare their own cirumstances, thats what makes it fun!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:25 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
thats what makes it fun!
Oh it's fun! Now I'm starting to get it

Regarding the tax rate starting at zero.... the other side of the coin is that taxpayers in the UK can calim they are being ripped off because those on lower incomes get to enjoy the sate-provided benefits without contributing to the tax pot.

Not a view I particularly subscribe to, but just wanted to throw in another angle, there doesn't seem to be enough to argue about...

Maybe the problem is that coins are designed with two sides?? (or three if you're a pedant and include the edge, or one if your a topologist and consider only the surface... oh the possibilities are endless)
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom

Regarding the tax rate starting at zero.... the other side of the coin is that taxpayers in the UK can calim they are being ripped off because those on lower incomes get to enjoy the sate-provided benefits without contributing to the tax pot.

Not a view I particularly subscribe to, but just wanted to throw in another angle, there doesn't seem to be enough to argue about...

Maybe the problem is that coins are designed with two sides?? (or three if you're a pedant and include the edge, or one if your a topologist and consider only the surface... oh the possibilities are endless)
and you are priceless!
Bringing a smile to my face despite my virus wracked body. Cold Virus!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Originally Posted by WhingingPom

I think benefits have been taxed in the UK since Thatcher came to power!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:47 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoglet
I think benefits have been taxed in the UK since Thatcher came to power!
Ha ha! so being taxed on a benefit equals a contribution does it???? So if your children gave you back 20% of their pocket money would you class that as helping towards the family income?
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ha ha! so being taxed on a benefit equals a contribution does it????
I seem to remember that was the justification of the time.

[/QUOTE] So if your children gave you back 20% of their pocket money would you class that as helping towards the family income?[/QUOTE]

I'd class it as a bloody miracle!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

I have just heard an advert for a TV3 programme tonight at 7pm which is looking at this very issue. Comparing whether NZ rs are actually getting ripped off. Going to compare things like houses, supermarket shopping, days out etc - using Sydney, Auckland and London as a guide to work it out. Could prove interesting.

I reckon, as its made in NZ - the view will probably be that NZ is not a rip off - its just us that like to moan alot
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
I have just heard an advert for a TV3 programme tonight at 7pm which is looking at this very issue. Comparing whether NZ rs are actually getting ripped off. Going to compare things like houses, supermarket shopping, days out etc - using Sydney, Auckland and London as a guide to work it out. Could prove interesting.

I reckon, as its made in NZ - the view will probably be that NZ is not a rip off - its just us that like to moan alot
Would like to find out the results of that one if you dont mind doing a review
Old Aug 1st 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wilester
Will see what i can do, i have set the planner to record it
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychopandy

Of course it will, especially when it's comparing to 2 areas which we already know are more expensive.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Im glad its not just me thats a bit sceptical
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

For an accurate comparison they should compare auckland with bradford or wakefield
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wilester
As it turns out it was about 10 minutes worth of a half hour consumer affairs programme.
They compared the value of
a day out - a trip up the London Eye
A trip up the Sky Tower
A trip up a larger tower in Sydney

Auckland won - Just
but having done the London eye and the sky tower - i would rather do the london eye.

a basket of shopping
milk - cheapest in London
cheese - london
beef - Auckland
Lamb - London
Chicken breasts - Sydney
Bread - Auckland
Quite ironic considering the amount of cheese, milk and lamb we have here!!

Bar charges - pint of beer, glass of wine, regular coffee

beer - comparatively the same all round
Coffee - Auckland
Wine - Around the same

But on the same programme, it also looked into how much of a pint you actually get if you order a pint of beer in NZ = most were around 3/4 pt - could you imagine trying to get away with that in the UK so maybe not so cheap after all.

Public transport
Auckland seemed to come out on top price wise but also provided a rather inferior service compared to the other two cities. Sydney was most expensive.

Car rental - cheaper in London by around $100 compared to Auckland.

Books and DVDs - Cheaper in London by around $10 for new releases.

Cinemas - per ticket - Auckland wins

Auckland $15.50
London $20
Sydney $22

Big mac
$7.70 Auckland
$8.50 Sydney
$8+ London

I find it curious that they used London, Sydney and Auckland rather than Wellington as that is the capital of NZ. It was also a programme with the bias on the tourist - as in how much they are paying for things having earned their money elsewhere and converted it to the NZ $.

They did confirm that the average NZ er is getting a pretty raw deal when you compare the average $100 per week less earnings than in the UK and $580 less per week compared to Sydney.

In Campbells own words - For the average Kiwi earning and spending the Kiwi $ it could - "Almost argueably make NZ a rip off"

And so say I x

I think Col has a point. Auckland may be our biggest city but if you are comparing it size wise and stuff - London is way out of its league. Just my opinion - no one needs to jump on my back

Psycho x
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Thanks for taking the time to do that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.