Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

100% Pure Rip-off NZ

100% Pure Rip-off NZ

Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100% Pure Rip-off NZ

Originally Posted by colandros
Why are people comparing the uk ecconomy with NZ ?
They are tottally different and its wrong to use one to make a point about the other.
Yep, I think the thread has wandered a bit.

Back to the original Peter Bills article entitled Rip-off New Zealand, it has caused quite a stir around the country and not only on this forum. It seems every man, minor celeb and his wife, including the PM John Key have responded with their two cents worth.

This one's quite good: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10660816

Of my "dirty dozen" rip-offs in New Zealand in 2005, at least nine still stand. That includes bank fees, fund charges, share dealing, books and magazines, consumer imports and domain names. All of these cost much more here than overseas.
The lady refers back to an article she wrote in 2005: 'Godzone: where ripoffs rule' and she concluded back then:

Sure our economy is small. But I can't ignore the fact that average household earnings are less here than in the UK, Australian and US.

But the reality is that I am paying more, whatever, just about every time I pull my credit card out.
Linky thing: Godzone: where ripoffs rule
Old Jul 26th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yep, I think the thread has wandered a bit.

Back to the original Peter Bills article entitled Rip-off New Zealand, it has caused quite a stir around the country and not only on this forum. It seems every man, minor celeb and his wife, including the PM John Key have responded with their two cents worth.

This one's quite good: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10660816

The lady refers back to an article she wrote in 2005: 'Godzone: where ripoffs rule' and she concluded back then:

Linky thing: Godzone: where ripoffs rule
Do you feel this article has at least started a good debate in NZ (not just on here )? Will change arise as a result? I'm interested to know
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Well Peter Bills himself wrote a response, which has received some good humoured support:

Peter Bills: Don't shoot the messenger, guys

He ends by saying:

I just hope, however, that when I'm next here, marvelling at the sights of the countryside in both islands, going for a training run around Wellington Harbour or just enjoying a yarn with someone about the All Blacks, some of those more outlandish prices have been trimmed back a bit.

If that proves to be the outcome of this little winter storm of 2010, then it will all have been worthwhile.
People are coming to realise and will ultimately, I guess, start to look further afield when shopping and take advantage of what's on offer overseas. An example from the comments:

Agree with Peter Bills. An All Black Rugby Jersey in UK retails for 50 UK pounds, which at todays exchange rate is NZ$ 107. In New Zealand the same jersey retails for NZ $180 or 68% dearer
We can only hope that NZ retailers will be forced to react accordingly.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and the guy wasn't kidding!! Spot the difference?

$180 Shirt

http://www.allblackshop.com/the-jers...rt-sleeve.html

The 50 quid shirt

http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/collections/allblacks

With £10.00 delivery charge is still at least 50 bucks cheaper overall.

Even I find that quite shocking.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jul 26th 2010 at 9:07 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:53 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

and the guy wasn't kidding!! Spot the difference?

$180 Shirt

http://www.allblackshop.com/the-jers...rt-sleeve.html

The 50 quid shirt

http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/collections/allblacks

With £10.00 delivery charge is still at least 50 bucks cheaper overall.

Even I find that quite shocking.
Surely you cannot expect the demand in England for a NZ National Rugby Jersey to command the same price as the home country?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

No you cant but why does an England football shirt cost $160 here in NZ and £40 in the uk.
Surely you cannot expect the demand in NZ for an England National football Jersey to command the same price as the home country.

With such low demand here you'd think they'd be giving them away eh!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:16 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

No you cant but why does an England football shirt cost $160 here in NZ and £40 in the uk.
That's a rip-off!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
That's a rip-off!!
yes it is
One of the biggest rip off's we saw was school uniforms. 2 shops have the monopoly and you pay extremely extortionate prices (even compared to Marks and Spencer!!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:43 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
yes it is
One of the biggest rip off's we saw was school uniforms. 2 shops have the monopoly and you pay extremely extortionate prices (even compared to Marks and Spencer!!!!!
Not wanting to drag this off topic again, but we have the same situation in Manchester. Only one shop stocking the approved uniform. You can't substitute either because the jumper has a school crest embroidered. Bloody annoying, and expensive, but not limited to NZ. Worse than that, the shop wasn't even local so you had to drive there and pay for parking.

Anyway, speaking of sport shirt rip-offs. Any Man United supporters in the house?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:27 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you cannot expect the demand in NZ for an England National football Jersey to command the same price as the home country.

With such low demand here you'd think they'd be giving them away eh!!
Not sure that that is a good comparison judging by the number of Ex English football followers now living in NZ compared with the number on Kiwi rugby supporters living in England
Pretty sure volume sales figures compared with shipping costs has to be a major factor here, a pop of 4 million is going to raise delivery costs compared with 65 million?

Last edited by Stormer999; Jul 26th 2010 at 11:30 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Surely you cannot expect the demand in England for a NZ National Rugby Jersey to command the same price as the home country?
Oh silly me, I am even more confused!

So what are you saying, I don't understand? That less demand in the UK should go totally against the NZ ethos, oft spouted in this thread and elsewhere, that less demand equals a higher price.

Or do you think there are more people in the UK who would buy an ABs shirt than in NZ?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

You're wasting your time BJ. Some people have the blinkers on and the answer to everything is UK = Bad, NZ = Good despite the evidence to the contrary. Of course having a population of 4 million excuses all.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:16 pm

Oh silly me, I am even more confused!

So what are you saying, I don't understand? That less demand in the UK should go totally against the NZ ethos, oft spouted in this thread and elsewhere, that less demand equals a higher price.

Or do you think there are more people in the UK who would buy an ABs shirt than in NZ?
No there is not a lesser demand for Rugby shirts in the UK a very large demand that will easily fill a container or two but the price of the contries strip will be governed by the demand for the product. Unfortunately cost wise for NZ the total demand for rugby shirts will be less.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Leither
You're wasting your time BJ. Some people have the blinkers on and the answer to everything is UK = Bad, NZ = Good despite the evidence to the contrary. Of course having a population of 4 million excuses all.
Useful.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormer999
No there is not a lesser demand for Rugby shirts in the UK a very large demand that will easily fill a container or two but the price of the contries strip will be governed by the demand for the product. Unfortunately cost wise for NZ the total demand for rugby shirts will be less.
Don't think it stacks up Stormer Dude. Nike/Addidas/sports gear in NZ seemed a lot more expensive to me.

Two examples on unrelated items.

Bike tyres 130NZD UK=23GBP.
Weekly shop Tesco/Asda 135 GBP
NZ shop 400 NZD
Just off the top of my head. I used to ship the tyres for half price.

If it's not gonna eat you up being screwed over, then you may be happy in Gods Zone.

On a positive (ish) note my wife misses the place as she had good friends there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.