Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

100% Pure NZ, clean and green

Wikiposts

100% Pure NZ, clean and green

Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:41 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100% Pure NZ, clean and green

Thinking about what Bellasmum said I had a Copernic search and found that what I had suspected is probably true - "clean and green NZ" in marketing terms at least extends well beyond tourism and far enough for the Minstry of the Environment to commission research as far back as 2001 on what the "image" is worth to different sectors:
http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/...e-value-aug01/

which the Govt. proclaimed to all who would listen in a press release:

Monday, 20 August 2001, 3:58 pm
Press Release: New Zealand Government

New Zealand's 'Clean And Green' Image Worth Billions - Report

New Zealand’s clean green image could be worth billions of dollars in export earnings, Environment Minister Marian Hobbs said today.

"New Zealand's on-going export success depends on us living up to our marketing claims and the perceptions that lie behind people's interest in our products," she added, commenting on a report released today by the Ministry for the Environment. "We must all do more to make a clean, green New Zealand a reality if we are to protect and promote our highly valuable image."

The 144 page report, produced by PA Consulting Group and commissioned by the Ministry for the Environment, looks at three key export sectors and puts a dollar value on New Zealand’s clean green image. Sectors included in the study were tourism and the dairy and organics industries.

The report, based on a series of consumer surveys, found 'that our clean green image does have a significant export value and our environmental image is a key driver of the value of goods and services in the international market place.'

Marian Hobbs said a substantial percentage of New Zealand's income and employment depends on agriculture, horticulture and tourism. They in turn depend, to some extent, on people wanting to buy products produced in a clean and healthy environment.

She described the report as a wake-up call to everyone to do more to protect the environment or face the consequences.

"Overall, if New Zealand were to damage its clean green image, it would have a huge effect on our economy," Marian Hobbs said. "Positioning New Zealand to take maximum advantage of its clean green image and underpinning that image with clean green 'reality', will not only benefit New Zealanders' quality of life, but will have clear, long-term economic benefits."
and for greenpeace to get in on the act:

http://www.greenpeace.org/new-zealan...-and--briefing

those of us who love dusty libraries full of periodicals can look at the discussion about "clean & green" and its status in NZ's culture here:

http://researcharchive.lincoln.ac.nz...place_myth.pdf

so it is a "place myth" that helps to sell food, other commodities and tourism and is being used by those who want us to do what they think is right......
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by janek
you could do a lot more for your credibility if you backed up these kinds of statements with links to the facts, I don't actually know if it is the second most wasteful county on earth, it may well be, you haven't shown me how it is so I am non the wiser,
but what I do know is that there are people living out side of Auckland so the second part of your sentence is an out and out lie therefore it makes me wonder about your claim in the first part of the sentence...

I think there are quite a lot of clean green people in this country [maybe its just where I live] they seem to get seats in Parliament too, but I think the dairy industry may have something to do with the pollution

The Economist reported it.

The "second part of my sentence" was simply hyperbole. Lost on some people, but not at all a lie. Take away the major cities (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, etc) and you are left with less than 1 million people in the entire country (a country larger than the UK with approx 60 million people). This to most of us is RELATIVELY no people. And compared with global large cities this is 1/35th of the population of Tokyo, 1/30th of Mexico City, etc, which are single metropolitan areas. And you can whistle if you think I am going to reference these statistics - go do the maths yourself.

Also I have referred to "wasteful" not "pollution".
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:06 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrCFD

The "second part of my sentence" was simply hyperbole. Lost on some people, but not at all a lie. Take away the major cities (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, etc) and you are left with less than 1 million people in the entire country (a country larger than the UK with approx 60 million people). This to most of us is RELATIVELY no people. And compared with global large cities this is 1/35th of the population of Tokyo, 1/30th of Mexico City, etc, which are single metropolitan areas. And you can whistle if you think I am going to reference these statistics - go do the maths yourself.

Less people sounds cool to me.....
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:10 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

more sheep though
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
more sheep though
Truth is there are less sheep

Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Having been to both Mexico and Tokyo .. I am wondering what excatly your point is.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

No I wouldn't expect any work from you, and you're certainly not worth whistling about, the whole statement is totally inaccurate, and you are back peddling, you did not use 'RELATIVELY' at the time of your statement.

There is plenty of life out of Auckland, Wellington and Chch [not mentioned at the time of your posting]

So we are very wasteful, that's odd because we are all poverty stricken [according so some on here]
Its not usual to find poverty and waste in the one nation, a population who is wasteful is usually associated with wealth, but not in the case of New Zealand, well, well....
Old Sep 10th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Having been to both Mexico and Tokyo .. I am wondering what excatly your point is.
I don't think you will get a straight answer there Bellasmum, but my guess is he is telling us all how insignificant we are.

I wonder if the people of Tokyo are wasteful....
Old Sep 10th 2008, 8:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

...I wonder if the people of Tokyo are wasteful....
yes and no, and as you are such an intelligent Kiwi I'm sure you can figure out why.............
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl
yes and no, and as you are such an intelligent Kiwi I'm sure you can figure out why.............
I am not a Kiwi, I am a New Zealander, and I never said I was 'such an intelligent Kiwi - you did.

Imo waste and pollution are very closely linked.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

I am not a Kiwi, I am a New Zealander, and I never said I was 'such an intelligent Kiwi - you did.

Imo waste and pollution are very closely linked.
Wow...you are obviously after an argument here!

As I said before hyperbole is simply lost on some people. The comparison with more significant global urban areas was to show that there are no people in NZ! A very silly point to argue I'm sure you will agree.

Being a fellow kiwi I can understand the chip on your shoulder being in the South Island and thinking I am calling you insignificant.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Having been to both Mexico and Tokyo ...
Great.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Great.
so I take it there is no significance.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:13 pm
you dewty owld maan!

so I take it there is no significance.
Roll up roll up ....

Anyone else want to make a point about someone not making a point other than the point they have made and reitterated.........?

/pauses for comic effect/

lala la laah la laah la la laaaah la.....
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:20 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Oh my god this is where people sometimes come to new countries with little understanding, Foxton beach is a designated road, it even has speed limit signs for those that take notice, it goes back to when the stage coaches used that route to go up and down NZ, so of course it has cars going up and down it like any other road, and it is a bit of what makes NZ special and , how many other counties have roads on the beach !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.