Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

1 Year in NZ and loving it. Click here for assistance

1 Year in NZ and loving it. Click here for assistance

Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light
Default 1 Year in NZ and loving it. Click here for assistance

Hi All

We have been in New Zealand a full year now and wanted to give you our thoughts on life right now.
Also we wanted to offer out any help and support to anyone thinking of moving, in the process of moving, or have just arrived in our area and would like some advise or top tips.
This website was really good for us, so its time to give something back.

So what’s life like after one year? Well it would take far too long to write in one forum and I will save all the detail for a book I am going to write!!!
The highlights for me have to be around our children, a boy just turned 6 and daughter nearly 10. They have changed so much and for the better. Now you could say they would have changed anyway, however looking at our life back in the UK I don’t think so much of a difference. They are so sociable. There friends are lovely and polite. As others have said on other postings, they are not growing up as fast and are children do childish things. They love being outdoors and hardly watch the TV. We spend much more time with them, and always think we should do more!!! They do at least two sports each and we have got really involved with them. When our son started playing soccer, our group of friends doubled and we have so much fun. We have got involved in the school and again made loads of friends. As anyone with kids will know, it’s much easier to make friends. Yes there are those parents who like to talk the “Mum rubbish” (as my wife would say), talking about ironing and mundane stuff, but there are also those who are so positive and just love life.

I am doing a similar job as I was in the UK and it is a lot less stressful and less of a commute. I work with a great bunch of people who share the same values and attitude to life. We live in Birkenhead on the north shore. We are the first to admit this wasn’t our first choice to live and we are only here because the only people we knew in NZ were there. What we did know was that we didn’t want to live in an area full of poms or other countries e.g. Albany and Browns Bay. We wanted to live with Kiwi’s and live a kiwi life where possible. Birkenhead is a great location to get into the city and an easy commute on the bus over the bridge. It’s really easy to get anywhere and doesn’t take long to be out and about on an adventure.

The key to our success comes in a long list. However I would give one bit of advice to everyone. Get on Skype. We see and talk to family and friends every week. We never use our landline to call outside of NZ. We feel we are included in what’s happening in the UK and everyone gets to see what we are doing. Obviously it doesn’t replace the cuddles and kisses, but it goes a very long way to helping settle in a new country. Best of all its free for those already on Skype in the UK, or a really small cost for those who are not yet on Skype. www.skype.com

We have just got our first home and unpacking boxes with stuff we haven’t seen for over a year. Infact we were unpacking a year after we were packing it all up.
We have had serious issues with a house we have been trying to sell in the UK. After accepting an offer 12 weeks ago, the couple decided to pull out on the day of completion. You just have to love the UK system for house buying!!!!
We have got another buyer and made conditions for a non refundable deposit. It you can sell your house before you leave, do. If you cant then still come and start enjoying the experience. I have become an expert on managing two properties, so let me know if you need some tips and secrets on how to juggle the money.

We love New Zealand and it’s been really good to us. The way we always describe NZ is “Just Different” That isn’t meant in a negative way. What we are trying to say is that most things are different. Positive or negative. So if you can except that everything will be different and not compare against the UK or other countries, you will get on really well and settle quickly. It’s not easy to do this. I used to work for Sainsbury’s and hated shopping at Countdown and New World. Where were all the ready meals!!!!

As I said, I could write for hours as we have achieved and experienced so much in the last 12 months and can’t wait for the next year and what adventures we will have.

Have fun everyone and remember life is for living, laughing and loving, not winging, whining and worrying.

Please do send us a message if you need any help or advice.

Paul

P.S. More than happy for constructive feedback on my posting, however if you are one of those grumpy, negative and totally unconstructive posters, please keep your comments to yourself and get a life, infact just do something with your life!!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:04 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: 1 Year in NZ and loving it. Click here for assistance

Originally Posted by Pastor Flaps
P.S. More than happy for constructive feedback on my posting, however if you are one of those grumpy, negative and totally unconstructive posters, please keep your comments to yourself and get a life, in fact just do something with your life!!
May I make a small suggestion? The word you are looking for is nonconstructive. Unconstructive isn't a word as far as I know.
At any rate, everything sounds like it is going swimmingly. Well done.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:21 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Are you really a pastor?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Are you really a pastor?

I like Pastor !

Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash1
I like Pastor !

With pesto sauce
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:08 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Hello there

Just out of curiosity as you didnt say do you like living in Birkenhead now or do you still see it as a place you didnt really want to go to? Just asking as we live near you in Birkdale and places like Birkdale, beachaven, Birkenhead get a pretty bad rap and I personally think most of it is unjustified. I love where we live and think its a great area so was just wondering what you thought.

Glad your loving NZ, its always nice to hear.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Loved reading that thread Pastor.

Will be keeping in touch me thinks as we are just about too do the same. House now sold here and heading out in Jan08.

Its great to read such a positive story when people around us are telling us not to leave here.

Nici
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

congrats on 1 yr in NZ, glad you & yours love it , we do too.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Lovely post. We may well be contacting you about that house sale business with the state of the market here at the moment.

Keep enjoying NZ

Alison
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:33 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Pastor Lamb Flaps...probably...

Top tip....use an internet phoneline that cuts out every 5 seconds or has you shouting 'Hello? Hello? Hello?' at your family and friends until everybody gives up and goes back to watching the PartyPoker on TV.

P.S. More than happy for everybody to openly applaud my posts and all the girls to throw themselves at me, however if you are one of those posters who thinks the sun shines out of their arse please keep your comments to yourself and EAT MY SMILIES!!!!

Last edited by Avid; Oct 11th 2007 at 10:40 am.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:46 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Avid are you smoking something other than the cigars tonight??
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by lardyl
Avid are you smoking something other than the cigars tonight??
I wish.....
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

not doing a bill clinton then........??
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by lardyl
not doing a bill clinton then........??
Funnily enough my wife, Mrs Avid, is the spitting image of Hillary Clinton.

But without the warmth..
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Avid
Funnily enough my wife, Mrs Avid, is the spitting image of Hillary Clinton.

But without the warmth..
strewth - so where's Monica??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.