Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

1 more sleep to go

1 more sleep to go

Old Aug 14th 2011, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 more sleep to go

Hi all,
Yey only one more sleep on a mattress and sitting on the floor. Container arrives at our new home tomorrow and I can't wait to have some of our own stuff around us. it left our house in the UK on the 26th May and we are only getting it now. Has taken longer than we thought and MAF want to come and examine 17 items (bikes, garden tools, christmas decorations, shoes) all of which we cleaned really well, but I guess they have a job to do and charge us $490 for the honour.
Top packing tips:
1: Why did I think I needed 7 white t-shirts (they do have laundry places here)
2: Pack only the bare min of clothes and ship the rest
3: Do bring in your baggaage allowance things that you will need like towels, tea towels and any kitchen stuff you will need straight away (we had to go buy all of these)
4: Do not think you will get away with excess bagage cause you are emigrating. We were asked to pay £550 at Heathrow. Fortunatly for us the check in guy pointed out that we were under on our carry on bags and gave us two of those stripy laundry bags to put stuff in to carry on. We had to go away with all our suitcases and re-jig the packing. Of course it was my case that was way over.
5: Can't think of any at the moment but I'm sure others can!

Are we glad we came:
I miss my friends and family but that it only natural that it will take time to make friends. But when I walk the dog on the beach on a calm sunny winter day and chat to other dog walkers on the beach then yes.
16 year old son has settled into school well and enjoying it.
Husband likes his job and the fact his commute is now on train and not up and down the M1 everyday.
21 year old misses his friends, social life and has yet to find a job. (But once he finds a job, starts meeting people and moves into a flat in town I'm sure he will be fine.

Well that is a quick update on how we are doing. Up's and down's to be expected but overall glad we came and roll on summer.
Kaz

1:
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all
Default Re: 1 more sleep to go

Hi Kaz,
Great to hear your update, it sounds like all is going well and you have survived the challenge !
we arrive with our son in Auckland in just over 2 weeks and would like him to be getting out and about as soon as possible to get a social network going. He is planning to work for a few months before uni' so may need a little help to get him out independently to meet others. It would be good to get the boys together if your anywhere near

Happy unpacking
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by babybella
Hi all,
Yey only one more sleep on a mattress and sitting on the floor. Container arrives at our new home tomorrow and I can't wait to have some of our own stuff around us. it left our house in the UK on the 26th May and we are only getting it now. Has taken longer than we thought and MAF want to come and examine 17 items (bikes, garden tools, christmas decorations, shoes) all of which we cleaned really well, but I guess they have a job to do and charge us $490 for the honour.
Top packing tips:
1: Why did I think I needed 7 white t-shirts (they do have laundry places here)
2: Pack only the bare min of clothes and ship the rest
3: Do bring in your baggaage allowance things that you will need like towels, tea towels and any kitchen stuff you will need straight away (we had to go buy all of these)
4: Do not think you will get away with excess bagage cause you are emigrating. We were asked to pay £550 at Heathrow. Fortunatly for us the check in guy pointed out that we were under on our carry on bags and gave us two of those stripy laundry bags to put stuff in to carry on. We had to go away with all our suitcases and re-jig the packing. Of course it was my case that was way over.
5: Can't think of any at the moment but I'm sure others can!

Are we glad we came:
I miss my friends and family but that it only natural that it will take time to make friends. But when I walk the dog on the beach on a calm sunny winter day and chat to other dog walkers on the beach then yes.
16 year old son has settled into school well and enjoying it.
Husband likes his job and the fact his commute is now on train and not up and down the M1 everyday.
21 year old misses his friends, social life and has yet to find a job. (But once he finds a job, starts meeting people and moves into a flat in town I'm sure he will be fine.

Well that is a quick update on how we are doing. Up's and down's to be expected but overall glad we came and roll on summer.
Kaz

1:
Great update Kaz and glad everything is going really well and you have your stuff at last .....and ooo can I borrow a white T-Shirt...if you have one to spare!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Babybella.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Kaz!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Beds up, lots of stuff put away. But another top tip, have a big clear out. Why did I send in packing used face paints (halloween last year), chipped plates and loads of other random stuff. Oh well a trip to the dump over here may be needed. I thought the place we have rented (with dog, no trouble) was big till I tried to cram our stuff in. Felt very sorry for the movers as it is a three story place with the kitchen on the top floor, and I had some very heavy Le Creuset pans. And yes it was snowing in Paraparaumu!!

Oh well they looked strong and I did give them some beer money for their efforts.
Nice to sleep in a bed and have sofa's to sit on, spending the day unpacking no doubt to find more stupid things I shoudn't have brought. The useful things like UK/NZ adaptors have yet to be located. So another tip bring lots (as they are not so easy to find here) and put them in your bring on luggage)
Kaz