£ v $

Old Oct 6th 2008, 9:55 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default £ v $

Just looked at exchange, now standing at $2.80 to the £, so if anyone has money in Blighty or rellies are promising cash for Crimbo, keep looking, cos today could be your lucky day
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £ v $

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Just looked at exchange, now standing at $2.80 to the £, so if anyone has money in Blighty or rellies are promising cash for Crimbo, keep looking, cos today could be your lucky day
Hi Kev&Sarah

Where have you seen $2.80? I have looked on www.tranzfers.com and it says $2.73. The reason I am asking is that we put money into our son in laws bank account in the UK and then he transfers it to his NZ account to get us a good rate. We are coming for Christmas and I keep looking so that I can deposit the money when I think it is good enough. We were lucky in 2007 and got $2.80 but this year in February we only got $2.40.

June
Old Oct 7th 2008, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wish to pour cold water on the good rate..we have been waiting for yonks. BUT the word is that unless you need the money here for a special reason its safer in the UK where as from to day each person named on the account has govt.compo for up to £50k, was £35k as of yesterday.

There is NO cover in NZ for any bank going down. Its unlikely that the Fed. Reserve Bank would allow it but who would have thought 12 months ago all this shit would hit the fan???

I would bring it to spend on select items but for now methinks money is best where it is safest..for now that's any UK bank..especially the N Rock which is now the safets one to have your dough in as the govt will guarantee EVERY PENNY!

NB if you need to stash your £ around a variety of UK banks ensure they are not linked..the £50k per person is per banking licence..ie The Bloggs bank and the Jones bank would only cover one lot od compo if you had £50k in each in the same name. Confusing innit!!??

Eire guarantees ALL deposits..but you have to change your £ into euros..lots of admin apparently.

NZ is looking at introducing similar assurances and the pressure is on the UK to be like Eire guarantee all funds.

This is supposed to be a belt and braces to stop 'runs' on banks like we saw at N Rock.

Apparently the new compo limit covers 98%!!!!!! of all UK investors.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:19 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
..especially the N Rock which is now the safets one to have your dough in as the govt will guarantee EVERY PENNY!
I thought they had stopped taking deposits as of last week, because it was getting embarrassing that there were queues running from the doors of the main street banks to their doors.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Bloody poo for sending money to the UK though
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:07 am
Banned

Davies. Libby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by owen
Bloody poo for sending money to the UK though
I don't see much difference though. - from my note.

27. Aug 2008

I spent 120.99 GBP = 317.982 NZD

United Kingdom Pounds New Zealand Dollars
1 GBP = 2.62817 NZD 1 NZD = 0.380493 GBP

---------------------
7. Oct 2008

Morning:
1 GBP = 2.76719 NZD 1 NZD = 0.361377 GBP

Evening:
1 GBP = 2.74267 NZD 1 NZD = 0.364608 GBP

now -- 120.99 GBP = 331.836 NZD oh. crap

you are right! Owen

thought I would make another transaction today, but certainly shouldn't. until when???

Last edited by Davies. Libby; Oct 7th 2008 at 9:27 am.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Good detailed information there Genesis. Although the rate may be good at the moment, the question is - how safe is your money in a NZ bank, especially at the moment?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Good detailed information there Genesis. Although the rate may be good at the moment, the question is - how safe is your money in a NZ bank, especially at the moment?
Indeed!! Such is my state of awareness having had a large amount 'frozen' or f@@ked as some might say with Hanover I no longer intend to rest a recent inheritance in NZ. My money is staying in the Uk for now and I am accessing it via a debit card..no charge either end and get the fairly good daily rate..not as good as HIFX but they only deal in larger sums and as you say the wedge over here is not guaranteed. We have £1ook covered in the UK in our joint account which leaves the balance equally unsafe in the UK. Even though they are a huge mutual society I no longer have any faith in the monetary system thus i am getting it over here $800 a day to try and pay off our huge NZ debts!!! Don't want any more than that because as you say quite rightly wedge in any NZ bank is open to uncompensated loss. Been there done that!!!!

By God what has the world come to? Could never ever have seen this even 3 months ago aye?? Cheers!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NB if you need to stash your £ around a variety of UK banks ensure they are not linked..the £50k per person is per banking licence..ie The Bloggs bank and the Jones bank would only cover one lot od compo if you had £50k in each in the same name. Confusing innit!!??

Apparently the new compo limit covers 98%!!!!!! of all UK investors.[/QUOTE]

Sorry not very clear. New comp limit is £50 k per individual ..thus a joint account would have you up to £100k..per name, not account...ie we have one joint account and another in my name in the one bank..but we still only have £100k cover You also have to ensure that two differnet banks are not owned under the same licence as is the case with some organisations..one licence different trading names. The compo is only per each licence. To spread your risk (if you have over £100k) you have to be with banks that have separate licences..like the ASB and Westpac over here.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Davies. Libby
I don't see much difference though. - from my note.

27. Aug 2008

I spent 120.99 GBP = 317.982 NZD

1 GBP = 2.62817 NZD 1 NZD = 0.380493 GBP

---------------------
7. Oct 2008

Morning:
1 GBP = 2.76719 NZD 1 NZD = 0.361377 GBP

Evening:
1 GBP = 2.74267 NZD 1 NZD = 0.364608 GBP

now -- 120.99 GBP = 331.836 NZD oh. crap

you are right! Owen

thought I would make another transaction today, but certainly shouldn't. until when???
My regular payments of £500 back to the UK has increased $130 since Jan 2008, Ah well
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

2.96 now
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:22 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mickey_d
2.96 now
Where are you getting this rate? www.xe.com isn't that high?!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Where are you getting this rate? www.xe.com isn't that high?!

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/currency...rom=GBP&to=NZD

Use this all the time, it's always up to date & pretty accurate.

Down to 2.90 again now
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

it had reached 2.99 at noon today just checked now and its 2.93 .. we going to lock some in with hifx, and swap xmas money over while its so high
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mickey_d
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/currency...rom=GBP&to=NZD

Use this all the time, it's always up to date & pretty accurate.

Down to 2.90 again now
Hi

These rates that we see on HIFX etc, are these rates what you actually get or are they just an indication??

Cheers Jads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.