Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

[NZ] strictness of authorities re minor Rust on import tools

[NZ] strictness of authorities re minor Rust on import tools

Old Feb 16th 2019, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

ThePineMarten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default [NZ] strictness of authorities re minor Rust on import tools

Hi all, I am packing up getting ready for the move to NZ, our shipper has told us that NZ authorities are uber strict on cleanliness of items, and as part of this regard rust as a serious no no.
I have many, many, tools both hand. electric and air. All of which have a degree of oxidation where there is bare metal. I am happy to deal with flaky rust. Brush down and paint. But to return all my tools to a reflective shine could take me months. Do any of your members have experience and tales of bringing work tools into the country and the response of the authorities, regarding oxidation and cleanliness? Thank you in advance.
ric..

Old Feb 16th 2019, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [NZ] strictness of authorities re minor Rust on import tools

Originally Posted by ThePineMarten View Post
Hi all, I am packing up getting ready for the move to NZ, our shipper has told us that NZ authorities are uber strict on cleanliness of items, and as part of this regard rust as a serious no no.
I have many, many, tools both hand. electric and air. All of which have a degree of oxidation where there is bare metal. I am happy to deal with flaky rust. Brush down and paint. But to return all my tools to a reflective shine could take me months. Do any of your members have experience and tales of bringing work tools into the country and the response of the authorities, regarding oxidation and cleanliness? Thank you in advance.
ric..
A good wipe down to get rid flakes and then oil em up and you'll be right
Old Feb 17th 2019, 4:20 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a brilliant futurecym has a brilliant futurecym has a brilliant futurecym has a brilliant futurecym has a brilliant futurecym has a brilliant futurecym has a brilliant futurecym has a brilliant future

it's more to do with insects and the like than rust. just make sure you have no spider webs......that's like opening up your wallet and saying help yourselves!
Old Feb 18th 2019, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Bobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond reputeBobogib has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested in hearing feedback on your experience. We are hoping to make the move in around 6 months and I'm seriously considering leaving my toolkit behind as I don't want any extra hassle.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Thanks all. that is reasurring, It 's a lot easier to put the work in if there is a rasonable chance of a positive outcome .

cheers.

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Bobogib, I will update you when we get there, but we may be there just before you, as although the ship container is packing in april, we wont be leaving till june /july and the container may take up to 6 months to arrive.. all the best for the move,..
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol View Post
Thanks all. that is reasurring, It 's a lot easier to put the work in if there is a reasonable chance of a positive outcome .

cheers
Old Feb 24th 2019, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of seriously rusty old American cars imported every year, a bit of discolouration on a couple of spanners and sockets isn't going to be an issue. Just make it obvious to the eye that you've cleaned em