British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   [b] so im in Dunedin Nz anybody out there that may want to be my mate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/%5Bb%5D-so-im-dunedin-nz-anybody-out-there-may-want-my-mate-490493/)

whirly Oct 30th 2007 5:26 am

[b] so im in Dunedin Nz anybody out there that may want to be my mate

Basically I'm new to this site and getting a feel for it,, just wondering if there are any new people that have come to Dunedin that would wanna chat etc,, i could even take you out for a tour if you want,, show you some sites and views etc,,,Id be really happy if anybody replied as I'm kinda lonely,, I have work mates but it would be nice to meet some people that i don't actually work with hahahah finding it a little difficult really,,, Any info would be great also on what i can do , thanks people and enjoy your stay ,,,:):thumbsup:

donnaf Oct 30th 2007 8:48 am

Re: [b] so im in Dunedin Nz anybody out there that may want to be my mate

Hi whirly,
we're in Welly so not close enough for a meet up unfortunately. How long have you been in Dunedin?

eileen35 Oct 30th 2007 10:44 am

hi there Whirly
We are heading over to the south island hopefully begining december,as long as house buyer doesnt have any last minute changes .
We are hiring a camper van and going a tour around the xmas, new year period. Having a few nights in Dunners,would love someone to show us around.:thumbup:

Wessa Oct 30th 2007 2:09 pm

Hello Whirly, im due out to Dunedin in Feb, if thats any good to ya. Im sure by then you would have made some friends. I'l probably give you a shout for info nearer the time tho mate. Chin up fella, the hard work is done.. Relax a bit more. ;)

whirly Oct 30th 2007 5:51 pm

Yeh Eileen it would be an honour to show yas round ,, if your lucky i may even cook you a roast for xmas lunch,, saves you eating bacon butties in the camper aye,,,,And wessa that would be cool,, if need be i have a spare room you could use for a while if interested b4 you get settled,,,I got some work mates like i say but it can be hard to brake into the friend cycle at times,, you know people have found there friends etc for life :) but im sure time will be good to me and i will meet more :thumbsup:

whirly Oct 30th 2007 5:53 pm

did ya feel the big earth quakes about two weeks ago? they were awesome it was a roller not a banger,, man i woke up at 1.30am shaking side to side so i went outside and had a look and the road was literally rolling up and down,not heaps but you could see it on the long street aye,,, bloody awesome i love them,, catch ya soon peeps, an feel free to contact me on msn:thumbup:

southerner Nov 6th 2007 6:18 am

have PMed you

JoanneD Jan 9th 2008 12:13 am

Hi there, not been on the site for quite a while and thought I would have a quick look and found your post. Me and my husband and 2 kids moved to Dunedin last August and I have found it hard to meet people outside work which makes it hard to settle. I am orginally from Ireland but lived in Manchester for 11 years before coming to Dunedin for work. So if you are still looking for some more mates give us a shout we would love to here from ya:thumbsup:

Puppypower Jan 21st 2008 4:53 am

Hi all,
Been in Dunedin since Feb 2007 and lovin' it.
This is a great little town if you don't mention the Two murders, the many bank robberies and the earthquakes (enjoyed them really!!)
Murphy's bar on High Street does the best pint of Guinness in New Zealand and i have tried a lot of them:beer::beer:

JoanneD Jan 21st 2008 8:11 pm

Yip been in Murphy's Bar on High Street a few times dont know about the black stuff but the vodka and the craic aren't too bad. It a lot better since its been done up. Have you been to the Bog Pub on George Street? Haven't tried it yet but believe its a mad night out as well:thumbsup:

Puppypower Jan 21st 2008 9:22 pm

No, haven't been to the Bog yet in Dunedin but have been to the one in Christchurch and wasn't impressed. it's a franchise for the wannabes.
Plus it is too far to walk from Murphy's.:thumbdown:

JoanneD Jan 21st 2008 9:35 pm

yeah its a bit of a track alright. But at least the Duke of Wellington is across the road and the Empire is up on Princes Street for a small pub crawl:thumbup:

Puppypower Jan 21st 2008 9:54 pm

Had a bad experience in the Welly!
Had got so used to kiwi beer that i over indulged in the uk stuff and i apparently lost coordination in my legs, vision and speech????
i blame the big niuean fellow i was with!!

JoanneD Jan 21st 2008 10:08 pm

:rofl::rofl: yip had a few of those nights here as well!!! although drinking some of the local stuff has the same effect, especially after about 4 bottles of Pinot Noir which I have found to be lethal. Total memory loss. Not recommended :eek:

mandolin5 Feb 22nd 2008 7:18 am

Originally Posted by whirly (Post 5487196)
Basically I'm new to this site and getting a feel for it,, just wondering if there are any new people that have come to Dunedin that would wanna chat etc,, i could even take you out for a tour if you want,, show you some sites and views etc,,,Id be really happy if anybody replied as I'm kinda lonely,, I have work mates but it would be nice to meet some people that i don't actually work with hahahah finding it a little difficult really,,, Any info would be great also on what i can do , thanks people and enjoy your stay ,,,:):thumbsup:

Hi
Am new to Dunedin- would be good to know some1 new- do get in touch.

mandolin5 Feb 23rd 2008 4:02 am

Originally Posted by JoanneD (Post 5820293)
Yip been in Murphy's Bar on High Street a few times dont know about the black stuff but the vodka and the craic aren't too bad. It a lot better since its been done up. Have you been to the Bog Pub on George Street? Haven't tried it yet but believe its a mad night out as well:thumbsup:

Regarding The Bog went for the first time last week- excellent atmosphere.

JoanneD Feb 26th 2008 8:38 pm

I have sent you a private message:)