*Waves hello*

Old May 21st 2012, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

jjmcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default *Waves hello*

Hi all

I'm going to hop over to the Immigration threads as I read on another post there would be more info there but I just wanted to say hello!

My husband works in construction and has seen there are a fair few jobs in Canterbury with all the reconstruction work that's going on. We've had a few companies say they are "interested" in him so I'm just trying to do all the legwork and see what's what.

Mostly - I am now terrified! I'd always heard good things about NZ until I started reading expat forums and now I am expecting something horrendous. We are quite an outdoor family (have two small children aged 1 and 3), and had always thought that NZ would be a fantastic place for our children to grow up.

My biggest concern tbh is what I've read about the housing...mould, freezing cold...with two small children that would be a nightmare...

Anyway I digress...I know there are varying opinions and it's each to their own but I'd love to hear from anyone in the Canterbury/Christchurch area who could offer some advice on it all - esp. good places to live.

Last edited by jjmcglynn; May 21st 2012 at 2:56 pm.
Old May 21st 2012, 8:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Waves hello*

on the housing front you need to look at getting a place that at least has some sort of heating in it. Unfortunately it was my husband who got the rental, as he was already over here, and it was summer time when he took on the contract and didn't even think about the winter time. But luckily we like living here, for now, so have bought a place and move in in 6weeks which has heat pumps, wood burner and double glazing so expecting things to improve re the cold, weepy window and condensation.
Old May 21st 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome!

Renting in ChCh is going through a mad time at the moment, with so many properties red zoned and people having to move out for repairs. Most newcomers seem to head for the west/north suburbs, however, don't write off the eastern side of the city!
Homes generally do not have double glazing or central heating. Most rentals at best have a heat pump which will heat the living area but not the bedrooms. Electric blankets are very popular over here and we have all got them in our house! The single ones we bought at Briscoes for $14.00 each, so not too bad.
We are still having aftershocks - most you hardly feel but on Sunday there was a 4.8 - very wobbly but not damaging.
As for construction - yes, there is obviously a lot of work going on. However, insurance companies and engineer checks are holding back a lot of projects. The company my husband works for has 120 projects waiting to start but they need the nod from insurers/engineers before they can start.
But, we love ChCh . We love being 10 mins walk from the beach and an hour and half from the ski slopes, we love the rugby (go Crusaders!), we love the friendliness of everyone we meet.
So, it won't suit all and if I could change anything, it would be to add central heating and double glazing to our rental.
Check the ChCh thread on here - it has lots of good info.
Old May 22nd 2012, 10:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome to our NZ forum.

What kind of work does your husband do jjmcglyn? As you have seen there are a fair few folk down Christchurch and Canterbury way.

There is poor housing stock here in NZ. No doubt about that. Especially within the rentals but there is also good stuff out there. Just need to take time to pick well.

Anyway, welcome again and happy posting to the site.