British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   *HELP!* Need antibiotics but still on waiting list for a doc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/%2Ahelp-%2A-need-antibiotics-but-still-waiting-list-doc-516428/)

Maz Feb 22nd 2008 7:45 pm

*HELP!* Need antibiotics but still on waiting list for a doc

How can I get a prescription?...

Phil came down with strep throat and was generous enough to give it to me. Rather expecting Lauren to get it too. :(

Do we go to A&E at our local hospital? Rather need to knock this on the head today.

luvwelly Feb 22nd 2008 7:59 pm

Re: *HELP!* Need antibiotics but still on waiting list for a doc

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5970348)
How can I get a prescription?...

Phil came down with strep throat and was generous enough to give it to me. Rather expecting Lauren to get it too. :(

Do we go to A&E at our local hospital? Rather need to knock this on the head today.

I would go to the out of hours GP service as you would if you were a tourist and why not consider registering with one of the docs in the CBD in the meantime to avoid waiting?

Maz Feb 22nd 2008 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5970404)
I would go to the out of hours GP service as you would if you were a tourist and why not consider registering with one of the docs in the CBD in the meantime to avoid waiting?

Thanks LW! Out of hours GP service? Sorry, I have no idea what their number is or anything. Would you happen to have their number? Thanks LW. :)

bourbon-biscuit Feb 22nd 2008 8:01 pm

Could try just calling a local GP and failing that I'd go to A&E too. Hope you feel better soon!

mickey_d Feb 22nd 2008 8:15 pm

Most areas have a clinic called "The Doctors", you can just walk in & be seen.

As the husband of an A&E nurse please don't use them, they are busy enough already, they get loads of people come in with colds, sore throats & aches etc. Just getting in the way of more important cases really.:thumbup:

luvwelly Feb 22nd 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5970408)
Thanks LW! Out of hours GP service? Sorry, I have no idea what their number is or anything. Would you happen to have their number? Thanks LW. :)

Here in Wellington it is at 17 Adelaide Road just down from the hospital tel 04 384 4944.
At your end of town, I don't know but in the White pages this looks like the same thing for Kenepuru hospital it gives this phone number for Kenepuru hospital 04 385 5999 (called accident and medical clinic 24hr)

In Lower Hutt the number for the After Hours Medical Centre is 04 567 5345.

The GP we used on the terrace in the CBD when we were in temporary accommodation was The Terrace Medical Centre, 50 The Terrace Tel 04 472 5723 but there are other GPs who display their sandwich board on the pavement in the CBD....you should be able to be seen at one of those until you get something closer to home.

Hope you get sorted.

Maz Feb 22nd 2008 8:26 pm

Thanks ever so much for all the suggestions. :thumbup:

I ended up calling one of our local medical centres and because it's out of hours, it got redirected to Healthline (0800 611 116) and had an over-the-phone consultation with a nurse. :)

Because the spots on my tonsils are red, not white or yellow, it's viral not bacterial, so no antibiotics for me. That's a relief, they have their place but they're evil things too. ;)

luvwelly Feb 22nd 2008 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5970515)
I ended up calling one of our local medical centres and because it's out of hours, it got redirected to Healthline (0800 611 116) and had an over-the-phone consultation with a nurse. :)

Marvellous..I wonder who thought up NHS Direct nurse consults over the phone first NZ or UK? I bet it was NZ.

Maz Feb 22nd 2008 8:37 pm

Heh... might well have been! ;)

Batty Feb 22nd 2008 8:41 pm

Maz (and everyone really) get a bottle of Collodial Silver to have in the house. It's a natural antibotic and take it as soon as you feel you're getting a cold. I've got out of bed with a sore throat at 6, taken a teaspoon and it's gone completely by 11! I've also used it on cold sores and infected insect bites - brilliant stuff. Anyone I've encouraged to use it are complete converts :thumbup:

mickey_d Feb 22nd 2008 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5970535)
Marvellous..I wonder who thought up NHS Direct nurse consults over the phone first NZ or UK? I bet it was NZ.

No, NHS direct started in 1997, Healthline in 2003:thumbup:

Maz Feb 22nd 2008 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 5970586)
Maz (and everyone really) get a bottle of Collodial Silver to have in the house. It's a natural antibotic and take it as soon as you feel you're getting a cold. I've got out of bed with a sore throat at 6, taken a teaspoon and it's gone completely by 11! I've also used it on cold sores and infected insect bites - brilliant stuff. Anyone I've encouraged to use it are complete converts :thumbup:

I have to pop in to town anyway, so I will stop by a pharmacy and get that too, Thank you! :thumbup:

Batty Feb 22nd 2008 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5970624)
I have to pop in to town anyway, so I will stop by a pharmacy and get that too, Thank you! :thumbup:

No worries. Not all pharmacies may have it (although I do get it at my local) but all health stores will.

Maz Feb 22nd 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 5970663)
No worries. Not all pharmacies may have it (although I do get it at my local) but all health stores will.

Sweet as, thanks for that tip! :thumbup: Hehe... Phil just said "Collodial Silver" sounds like a retirement plan :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

luvwelly Feb 22nd 2008 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 5970615)
No, NHS direct started in 1997, Healthline in 2003:thumbup:

That's as it should be then :D!