Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

***Looks like we are coming***

***Looks like we are coming***

Old Oct 10th 2016, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Atkinson4910 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ***Looks like we are coming***

Hi all, Just had confirmation today that our visas have been approved and we will receive our passports back with them in later this week. We are looking at flying over around the beginning of March 2017, wish it could be sooner but cant start my new job until April.
Just a quick question, Does anyone have anything they wish they did before leaving that would be good advice for me and my family.

Wish I could change my profile name, I sound very boring.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Re: ***Looks like we are coming***

Isn't it just a lovely feeling! Congratualtions and good luck with the planning and moving.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Atkinson4910 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a massive weight off our shoulders! lots of planning ahead for us, I can see us having a list of lists!
We are moving to the outskirts of Auckland so at least we won't have far to travel when we finally land at least. Do not think the kiddies could handle anymore travelling after the flights over there.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

We made sure we did all the really iconic London things, even wagged school one day last week to do the Tower of London in beautiful Autumnal glory, did loads during the school holidays too. Take pics of the kids everywhere if they are unlikely to remember visiting those places! Plan to get all your catch ups and good byes done before the last two weeks or so before flying out (bar close family of course) I'm finding it stressful that everyone wants to see us when I'm so very busy with the last minute stuff (fly 22/10)... Oh and we are shoehorning a quick trip to Disneyland Paris in before we leave... I wouldn't recommend coming back to the house the night before the movers are due - it might be pushing me to my limits!!
Old Oct 10th 2016, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atkinson4910
Hi all, Just had confirmation today that our visas have been approved and we will receive our passports back with them in later this week. We are looking at flying over around the beginning of March 2017, wish it could be sooner but cant start my new job until April.
Just a quick question, Does anyone have anything they wish they did before leaving that would be good advice for me and my family.

Go for a drive round the M25 in rush hour so you are ready for Auckland traffic, take a Southern train trip (so you don't miss railways) and try to get a friendly answer from BT/Brit Gas/HMCE/Brit bank etc (so you appreciate the service in NZ more)

Last edited by Kotare; Oct 10th 2016 at 10:09 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 10:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I can sort that out for you. Just PM or email me with your new choice of username
Old Oct 11th 2016, 12:00 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have anything they wish they did before leaving that would be good advice for me and my family.
We just went to London. I remember buying, and still have, a copy of the Evening Standard Newspaper (yes, I know it's only available online now) that had news of the Christchurch earthquake on the front page.

I also remember looking up at the London Eye at all lit up at night.

A sightseeing trip to London may not be convenient.

Your next trip to London might be to the airport to catch the flight to NZ.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Oct 12th 2016 at 3:44 am. Reason: just wanted to say..../fixing quotes
Old Oct 11th 2016, 12:14 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Go for a drive round the M25 in rush hour so you are ready for Auckland traffic, take a Southern train trip (so you don't miss railways) and try to get a friendly answer from BT/Brit Gas/HMCE/Brit bank etc (so you appreciate the service in NZ more)
We have railways! Although about 90% less than the UK
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

We did some things in London with the kids - the Eye, the Monument, Globe. Also visited family and friends in the months leading up to our departure. Left some things a bit late.

We were leaving rented property so moved out 10 days beforehand (still ended up working through the night before the movers came!), and got cleaners in after the movers had been. Fill out the shipping insurance forms well in advance! Although that can be difficult to do if you change your mind about what you're shipping over.

If we could have afforded it (time & money), I would have moved out of our house and done all that earlier, then had 2-3 weeks having a holiday or chilling out.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
I'm finding it stressful that everyone wants to see us when I'm so very busy with the last minute stuff (fly 22/10)
Not long to go now! We had that too, and in the end I just had to say either come to the farewell drinks at the pub on this date, or we'll see you in NZ sometime. Hard, but I got used to it in the end.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 10:43 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maquis
2-3 weeks having a holiday or chilling out.
Pardon ? You think you could chill out with all your worldly goods in a shipping container, you're no longer living in your home, nothing familiar around you, your old job gone, pets re-homed if applicable or coming with you on their own ticket, your old vehicle disposed of, new job yet to start, gazillions of goodbyes had or to be had, the continual mantra of, 'do you think it will be alright, will it be alright' going round and round in your head and you think you can chill ?

Yeah, I know, chill out !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 11th 2016 at 11:49 pm. Reason: added more
Old Oct 11th 2016, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

See a few parts of the UK that you've never got round to. If bringing a shipping container or lots of baggage, bring a years supply of common OTC medicines. Antihistamines etc over here can be pricey.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Pardon ? You think you could chill out with all your worldly goods in a shipping container, you're no longer living in your home, nothing familiar around you, your old job gone, pets re-homed if applicable or coming with you on their own ticket, your old vehicle disposed of, new job yet to start, gazillions of goodbyes had or to be had, the continual mantra of, 'do you think it will be alright, will it be alright' going round and round in your head and you think you can chill ?

Yeah, I know, chill out !
Haha! All good in theory Actually, once the shipping container went, I was a lot more chilled. I found that the most stressful part.
Old Oct 12th 2016, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!
We've also received some positive news this morning, Hubby has a job offer on the way.... whooop!

It's starting to feel very real now, and a little scary. So much to think about.

We will be heading to Tauranga, we visited loads of places when we went to NZ but this wasn't one of them so on top of all the other questions whizzing around my head is "where do we live?!"

We are bringing 2 kids and 3 dogs and can't wait.

Along with farewells and a pub goodbye session I think we will do Yorkshire, Cornwall and London although they will be blooming chilly as we plan to fly in Feb!

Trying to sell the house to time with our move is like plaiting fog. We've had two offers already but the main issue was them wanting a pre Christmas move and we just can't do it to our little ones!
Old Oct 12th 2016, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wakwak
Hello!
We've also received some positive news this morning, Hubby has a job offer on the way.... whooop!

It's starting to feel very real now, and a little scary. So much to think about.

We will be heading to Tauranga, we visited loads of places when we went to NZ but this wasn't one of them so on top of all the other questions whizzing around my head is "where do we live?!"

We are bringing 2 kids and 3 dogs and can't wait.

Along with farewells and a pub goodbye session I think we will do Yorkshire, Cornwall and London although they will be blooming chilly as we plan to fly in Feb!

Trying to sell the house to time with our move is like plaiting fog. We've had two offers already but the main issue was them wanting a pre Christmas move and we just can't do it to our little ones!
Three dogs - ouch - I would contact a shipper asap eg Golden Arrow. Otherwise good luck with eveything.

Peter

Ps a lot of the posters swear by Tauranga as it has a good climate,good beaches and is booming (not so good for house prices though).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.