****..?

Old Dec 8th 2016, 12:26 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ****..?

Originally Posted by Luzon
Totally accept everyone has a different opinion, but it seems that the views on ***** are incredibly strong with a very negative bias.
There you have it: they are incredibly strong with a negative bias. Some may have experiences that support such views and bias; others may have experiences that entirely contradict them; most will likely have experiences somewhere between paradise and hell.

A good example of this would be education. From my research, I believed that education standards in NZ are high (important as I have 2 v young boys). ***** talks about the immigration propaganda and how education isn't so great, kids don't make it to tertiary education and its all lies by the govt to get people over.. selling the NZ dream.
Education standards in NZ are high. Not as high as in some countries, yet higher than in many. My own understanding is that a NZ-educated kid has more chance of attending a NZ university and at much lower cost than a UK-educated kid has of attending a UK university at much higher cost. The 'catch' is that the NZ student loans system is one of the most punitive in the world for graduates who spend more than six months overseas. This played a role in us moving to Oz with our uni-aged daughter as I was very unsure about her having the ball-and-chain T&Cs on her student loan that I have. Another 'catch' for potential emigrants from the UK is that you may find your teenager classed as an international student in the UK, which may be a problem for your family, depending on finances and if your teen expresses a wish to go back for uni or you want to move back as a family.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Totally accept everyone has a different opinion, but it seems that the views on ***** are incredibly strong with a very negative bias.

I am expecting to be worse off in NZ - husband will be taking a pay cut, and I know about cost of living, house standards etc. I guess I was surprised at the barrage of reports/articles/blog posts etc posted that talk of crisis level stuff in NZ which is quite different to some of the research I have done.

A good example of this would be education. From my research, I believed that education standards in NZ are high (important as I have 2 v young boys). ***** talks about the immigration propaganda and how education isn't so great, kids don't make it to tertiary education and its all lies by the govt to get people over.. selling the NZ dream.

We have spent time in NZ, know people who live in various places in NZ so thought I had a fairly balanced view of what to expect.. this site has thrown me off balance so just asking what all your views are of it (if you have come across it)... is there something to it or is it just an outlet for those who aren't happy to moan?
I know the site you are talking about. They are always trying to do the legs of NZ. Look, you only have to spend a few minutes perusing this site to see its hardly balanced eh? More like the Basil Fawlty of country assasination.

No doubt these posters have had a bad time here, some folk do. It is not everyone's cuppa. NZ has many issues. Just like anywhere else.

It is not a magical country where life is perfect. Its just different. I have been here 11 years, there is stuff I do not like about NZ but on balance I really enjoy my life here.

I have had some monumentally bad times here, divorce, lost a pile of cash etc. etc but shit happens. The greatest thing about NZ is that it really is different. Its far away, its very unpopulous, it is beautiful and a fantastic place for kids to grow up.

I do not have rosy glasses on either, life has not always been a bed of roses for me here. But I am still here and my life is very good here. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, I live in a very modest bungalow in an even more modest town.

But the quality of my life has never been better. The only way you will ever know if NZ is for you and your partner is to give it a go, just like I did 11 years ago. What have you got to lose? I am sure whatever the outcome you will be pleased you did it and gave it a go. NZ is a very beautiful country. I would recommend it to anyone. He who dares eh? And only ever regret the things you DONT do rather than the things you do.

Good luck, I look forward to your thread saying 'We have arrived'!!!!

Last edited by Genesis; Dec 8th 2016 at 3:05 am.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
There you have it: they are incredibly strong with a negative bias. Some may have experiences that support such views and bias; others may have experiences that entirely contradict them; most will likely have experiences somewhere between paradise and hell.

Education standards in NZ are high. Not as high as in some countries, yet higher than in many. My own understanding is that a NZ-educated kid has more chance of attending a NZ university and at much lower cost than a UK-educated kid has of attending a UK university at much higher cost. The 'catch' is that the NZ student loans system is one of the most punitive in the world for graduates who spend more than six months overseas. This played a role in us moving to Oz with our uni-aged daughter as I was very unsure about her having the ball-and-chain T&Cs on her student loan that I have. Another 'catch' for potential emigrants from the UK is that you may find your teenager classed as an international student in the UK, which may be a problem for your family, depending on finances and if your teen expresses a wish to go back for uni or you want to move back as a family.
I am pretty 100% sure your boys will be eternally thankful you made the move. I bought my three over when the girls (who are twins) were 2 and my boy was 4. I became a home dad too. My kids have had the most amazing life here, thus far. A way better childhood methinks than they would have had in Northampton....or Devon, or Newcastle. Educationally it has been excellent too. All my kids are a great schools. Junior schools were great too.

Last edited by Genesis; Dec 8th 2016 at 3:06 am.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

The new PISA (international education rankings) put Nz higher than UK I think.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again,
We're here and we know it all.

Just stop and give the lass a straight answer

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 9th 2016 at 4:21 am. Reason: Eerrrmmmm
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

I find this forum can be filled with negative posts. Some users can be very patronising. I'm going over myself as a 27 year old to start a new life and see if it works out. If not I can come back. I've did my research and I'm well prepared. I figure we only get one chance in life. No point looking back thinking what if...?

One of my pet peeve posts is when someone asks about NZ life and detail their plan to move to NZ then you have certain posters quizzing them on why they want to move here and proceeding to be negative further stating that they have all that in their home country therefore they haven't thought this through. Almost as if they work for immigration.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:06 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Just stop < snipped > and give the lass a straight answer
Where's yours then?

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 9th 2016 at 4:21 am.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I will give a straight answer a go. Dont take what you read on the internet as gospel. If you search long enough you may find material describing NZ as though its akin to a third world country, or you may come across the Legatum Prosperity Index which rates NZ the most prosperous country in the world. That sums up the internet. You can find what you want to find and what you want to prove about any topic be it climate change or whatever. Your experiences while you were here are likely to be the most accurate assessment for YOU.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

SkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

Good luck, I look forward to your thread saying 'We have arrived'!!!!
Thanks Genesis - not only has your reply been a welcome friendly response but really useful info/insight. I really appreciate the time you've taken to reply 😊
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

SkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond reputeSkylarkR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the new replies today - they are really helpful and I appreciate all your time. i know there will be a lot of rollercoaster times ahead but exciting times too!
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kotare
The new PISA (international education rankings) put Nz higher than UK I think.
Yes, it's a few places higher and in the top 10 - which the UK isn't. One of the reasons I questioned the purpose of the other site
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mishclark
Hi OP,

I don't think Buzzy Bee is trying to be rude or insulting, just stating it how it is.

I was married to a Kiwi and am from Australia, I do like NZ and am planning on moving back there, but even over the ditch and having spent a lot of time there, many of the points Buzzy Bee and others have mentioned rang true for me as well..I thought Australia and Nz being so similar would make things easy, but hell no, it still was a culture shock! And all of the points made by Buzzy Bee as well.

All the time in the world spent there was nothing like trying to buy a house, buying groceries, earning money, getting my head around the schooling differences, bills and some shocks I wasn't used to at all....things were so laid back and she'll be right that even as an Aussie I was shocked!

It all worked out in the end, we ended up back in australia due to my husband needing cancer treatment that they didn't have funded in Nz and he still had a medicare card, so that was a big shock to our system as well..

I still like the place though.

Good luck with your move, I hope it all works out for the best and I'm sure it will.

Michelle
thanks Michelle, I hope your husbands treatment has been successful. Thanks for your advice
Old Dec 9th 2016, 4:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi everyone, my husband has just accepted a job in Auckland and we are awaiting our selection from the next eoi pool.

We've been talking about moving to NZ for years so by no means a rash decision. We've researched well and just got back from a 3 week reccy trip.

I'm going through phases of excitement - omg this is really happening! To panic - omg this is really happening! Lol...!
OK. So would you perhaps like the thread title altered now to encourage other posters to chat with you about your move? I can help with that.

It could be " OMG - moving to Auckland - so excited" or similar.

TBH no-one really wants to talk much about some other site somewhere or other. There are so many of them anyway & each one has its own feel and audience. As garethwm says , what is one person's truth is another person's untruth really as experience and so opinion , stem from each individual NZ life and times.

If you want to chat about coming to NZ, then most of us will be all ears and want to share .

Entirely up to you of course.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 4:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Shirrom
I find this forum can be filled with negative posts. Some users can be very patronising. I'm going over myself as a 27 year old to start a new life and see if it works out. If not I can come back. I've did my research and I'm well prepared. I figure we only get one chance in life. No point looking back thinking what if...?

One of my pet peeve posts is when someone asks about NZ life and detail their plan to move to NZ then you have certain posters quizzing them on why they want to move here and proceeding to be negative further stating that they have all that in their home country therefore they haven't thought this through. Almost as if they work for immigration.
I emigrated to NZ over 12 years ago and my view these years is that BE , all across all country boards , wants its posts to be kind but realistic.

If there is something or someone that you feel has tried to put you off on the chat forums or in private in some way, please do contact me so I can review the posts.

To my knowledge no-one on the NZ board works for NZIS.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
OK. So would you perhaps like the thread title altered now to encourage other posters to chat with you about your move? I can help with that.

It could be " OMG - moving to Auckland - so excited" or similar.

TBH no-one really wants to talk much about some other site somewhere or other. There are so many of them anyway & each one has its own feel and audience. As garethwm says , what is one person's truth is another person's untruth really as experience and so opinion , stem from each individual NZ life and times.

If you want to chat about coming to NZ, then most of us will be all ears and want to share .

Entirely up to you of course.
I have no idea why the profanity filter started out my choice. I used no expletives. I wanted to ask a question about a site I had seen. Surely I can ask queationa I would like views ok in this forum?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.