Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

% of income spent on rent???

% of income spent on rent???

Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: % of income spent on rent???

Originally Posted by onsisoppad
thanks

That gives me a little bit of an insight.... there is 2 things i am worried about - first to get a house coz it is cheap and then hating the schools it is near to or it is a small house that i am not happy with it and stuck with it....

just do what we did, offer to do short term fixed and say if love it after the 3 month will do a longer, we have been lucky they said that was fine after 3 months goes periodic.... means 21 days notice if we want to leave

caz
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

That gives me a little bit of an insight.... there is 2 things i am worried about - first to get a house coz it is cheap and then hating the schools it is near to or it is a small house that i am not happy with it and stuck with it....
I suggest you are very careful about this.
Firstly , buying a house in an area you dont know is very risky.
Secondly, there is plenty wrong with many houses in NZ, so do your research first. Plenty of information on that on this site. Watch out.
Thirdly, if you do regret your purchase and decide to sell, NZ real estate agents often charge 3.5% - 4% of the sale price.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:35 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

HI All

We will be arriving at the end of feb if all goes well and we have a hioliday rental house ready for when we arrive. We been looking on trademe for ideas for a rental property. It seems like the average rent a week for a 4 bedroom house is gonna set us back around $600 per week. We are a family of 5 and due to childrfens ages won't be able to share rooms. This is going to eat up half of our income. Is this pretty normal in NZ? how much of a family's income are spent on accommodation in NZ?

We are planning to live in North shore Auckland in the area of albany/pinhill/brownsbay.
50% of income is way too high for anyone. I would be reluctant to pay more than 10% of my monthly take home pay. In Canada, I have an Australian fellow who lets me crash at his couch because my income for the year banked after expenses is $33,000. I am worried though this year, if I would only be able to bank $20,000 a year due to the miserable economic downturn. At the age of 32, all I can show for is $142,000 Canadian saved up so far. Paying 50% rent is just not an option.