$95k in Auckland

Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default $95k in Auckland

is this a salary you can live on comfortably in Auckland and its surrounding areas as long as you don't stretch yourself too far with the mortgage?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $95k in Auckland

Yes, that should do it. You might not get overseas holidays on that alone, but living in Auckland, you should be sweet as.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Big Gord is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stephen

I/we are a bit like you guys and wanting to escape the UK!
Quite spooky actually as I was going to post something similar.
I've been offered a job and the salary will be between $75-80k and I wondered if this sounds reasonable for the suburbs to the west of Auckland.

Ps it's a sales role

G
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:59 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

With a family to support you might struggle. It sounds a good salary (in NZ at least, sorry.)

Factor in how much percentage of that goes in rent or mortgage. Then there's 'voluntary' school fees.

The list of costs goes on and on. You think the cost of living in Britain is sky high ? It's not a lot better in NZ either. Oh, that's right, the scenery is nicer, apparently. It's winter here atm. It rained earlier today and will rain again later today and tomorrow and the day after that. There's four seasons in my part of NZ. However, if you're heading for the 'winterless north' that is supposed to be Auckland you will only have the humidity to deal with.

I'm not sure what you're hoping to escape in Britain but coming to NZ might see you in the jaws of something else.

Good luck with the move.

All I'm trying to say is $95k even with less income tax to pay and no National Insurance requirement will not seem as much as the equivalent 47,500GBP might in Britain.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 17th 2014 at 2:04 am. Reason: humidity
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
With a family to support you might struggle. It sounds a good salary (in NZ at least, sorry.)

Factor in how much percentage of that goes in rent or mortgage. Then there's 'voluntary' school fees.

The list of costs goes on and on. You think the cost of living in Britain is sky high ? It's not a lot better in NZ either. Oh, that's right, the scenery is nicer, apparently. It's winter here atm. It rained earlier today and will rain again later today and tomorrow and the day after that. There's four seasons in my part of NZ. However, if you're heading for the 'winterless north' that is supposed to be Auckland you will only have the humidity to deal with.

I'm not sure what you're hoping to escape in Britain but coming to NZ might see you in the jaws of something else.

Good luck with the move.

All I'm trying to say is $95k even with less income tax to pay and no National Insurance requirement will not seem as much as the equivalent 47,500GBP might in Britain.
Crikey Snap Shot! Tell it like it is!!

But yes, I agree - it really depends on what you will have to spend on housing out of that salary. Auckland is very very expensive (the bits you might enjoy living in anyway), so do make sure you do some calculations on rent/property and mortgage payments. 95k is probably fine if you have plenty of equity from a house sale in the UK.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

I find it hard to believe that $95,000 pa would purchase even a reasonable standard of living in Auckland, unless you are mortgage free. Yes, I have not lived or worked in Auckland since 2001 (been back as a visitor plenty of times), but even when I left, I was earning $120,000 (plus a small wage from my wife), and although we did not struggle, the net monthly income was all spent very quickly (and certainly quicker than the equivalent UK wage).

I therefore doubt that a wage hovering around the $100k mark, would be enough to live in Auckland (with a mortgage), especially given that the house prices have more than doubled since we left.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above - great post Charlie Paynter. I was earning over 100K NZD in AKL (I moved back to the UK 3 weeks ago). On 100K, it was not sufficient to enable me to buy a house. If I had saved a 150-200K deposit, then approximately 60% of my salary would be eaten up by the mortgage. Housing is just so expensive in Auckland in comparison to salaries.

I've actually come back, will be taking around a 20-25K NZD pay CUT yet can afford to buy a house, run 2 cars and go on multiple overseas holidays. You get a lot of bang for your pound in the UK. Do not expect a lot of bang for your NZ dollar. I've previously mentioned - someone used to bang on about how you earn more as you get older - most industries are reducing salaries)
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot

The list of costs goes on and on. You think the cost of living in Britain is sky high ? It's not a lot better in NZ either.
As stated in the "Today is the Day!" thread, since being back, with the exception of petrol, I am finding a lot of things, especially food, clothing, cars around 2-4 times CHEAPER here than I did in NZ.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Big Gord is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting!!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by davros1984
I agree with the above - great post Charlie Paynter. I was earning over 100K NZD in AKL (I moved back to the UK 3 weeks ago). On 100K, it was not sufficient to enable me to buy a house. If I had saved a 150-200K deposit, then approximately 60% of my salary would be eaten up by the mortgage. Housing is just so expensive in Auckland in comparison to salaries.

I've actually come back, will be taking around a 20-25K NZD pay CUT yet can afford to buy a house, run 2 cars and go on multiple overseas holidays. You get a lot of bang for your pound in the UK. Do not expect a lot of bang for your NZ dollar. I've previously mentioned - someone used to bang on about how you earn more as you get older - most industries are reducing salaries)
Mirrors exactly my experience!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

House prices rise to ten times average salary - Telegraph

So the UK is still the land of milk and honey?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

London (like Auckland) has become ridiculous, although I can still buy a nice house for a good price in a pleasant area and commute into London in less than 45 minutes.

Certainly there appears to be more honey in the UK in comparison to Auckland if you were to take the 10 times method.... that would be similar to Auckland, where the average salary is around 55K and the average house price is in the region of 700K (this is more than 10 times). I do not want to get into this though.

Don't think that you can move to Auckland, that there isn't any traffic, its really cheap and that you are guaranteed a better life - do not assume that is what its like.

For me, the problem NZ has is that there are only a few centers that have lots of employment options, whereas the UK has many. Thus you can live in an area where there's plenty of work and find a house that is "affordable" so long as you can look beyond the M25.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:28 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your community service Davros, and no I'm not being sarcastic. I find it incomprehensible why the British believe that NZ is like Britain but without the problems. It has plenty of problems as you well know. You don't come to NZ to make your fortune and yet some people seem to believe exactly that.

From your many posts expressing your disappointment it seems to me that your expectations were somewhat raised. Now you are aware of the situation here in NZ you have made the decision to return to the UK, and that is the right decision for you. In fact, no doubt you have a new appreciation of what a great place the UK is to live and this will encourage others to consider other parts of the UK before travelling to a little country on the other side of the world.

Those of us with property to sell in London are probably doing ok, but if you are not benefiting from London property prices you need to think about where you move to if you want a better quality of life.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
I am finding a lot of things, especially food, clothing, cars around 2-4 times CHEAPER here than I did in NZ.
You dont think youre exagerating just a little bit? I know for sure that there is no difference in the prices of new cars, for example, especially Japanese and American ones. A Ford Fiesta ST costs £17250 ($34500) UK and $34990 NZ +ORC. The range of Toyota prices are also very similar. Prices 2-4 times cheaper in UK. Surely youre having a laugh?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:56 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the UK last year I found food and clothing cheaper, but it's worth checking on other stuff. I researched buying a mifi and assumed that I could get it cheaper on Amazon in the UK and pick it up while I was there. In fact I got the exact same make and model cheaper at my local NZ telecom shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.