Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

$50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

$50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:10 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice
Default $50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

Hi, I'm trying to work out roughly how much I would receive in net pay per month, so I can assess whether my potential NZ salary will be satisfactory for me to live comfortably in NZ.

Research suggests I should earn approx $50,000 per yr in my occupation as a teacher. I have trawled the internet to try find out how much may be deducted in taxes but can't seem to find it. Can anyone help?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice
Default Re: $50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

Try this cost of living calculator:

http://www.emigratenz.org/cost-of-li...w-zealand.HTML

Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Antstar

$50k is about average here - you would be able to live reasonably comfortably on $50k - depending on where you live of course.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

soz - quoted wrong post
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:15 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Depends whether the $50K supports just you or you and partner or you and partner and kids ....

Also depends whether you will need a mortgage in NZ or not and if so for how much.

I would say mortgage free $50K could support a family with a few kids with reasonable ease, provided you're not giving up on a £50K+ UK income lifestyle. It will be harder if you need a mortgage and quite a stretch (but doable) if you need a mortgage of over $250K.

Also depends on the 'lifestyle' you're after- do you want to hang out in cafes and bars or kick back on the beach? Are you happy to entertain at home or like eating out? Are you happy to swim in the sea and picnic at the beach or do you want to take down the boat etc?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DGH
Hi, I'm trying to work out roughly how much I would receive in net pay per month, so I can assess whether my potential NZ salary will be satisfactory for me to live comfortably in NZ.

Research suggests I should earn approx $50,000 per yr in my occupation as a teacher. I have trawled the internet to try find out how much may be deducted in taxes but can't seem to find it. Can anyone help?
Hi, you will be taxed at 19.5 % on EVERY cent up to apprx $39k, then it jumps to about 34% for the balance up to $50k. Add another 2% roughly for ACC (nat ins) sort of thingy. Have a gander at www.ird.govt.nz

They have the exact tax rates there..just have a littel search on their home page. However what I have quoted you is fairly accurate from memory (I think!!).
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antstar

That's an interesting site thank you Antstar
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Depends whether the $50K supports just you or you and partner or you and partner and kids ....

Also depends whether you will need a mortgage in NZ or not and if so for how much.

I would say mortgage free $50K could support a family with a few kids with reasonable ease, provided you're not giving up on a £50K+ UK income lifestyle. It will be harder if you need a mortgage and quite a stretch (but doable) if you need a mortgage of over $250K.

Also depends on the 'lifestyle' you're after- do you want to hang out in cafes and bars or kick back on the beach? Are you happy to entertain at home or like eating out? Are you happy to swim in the sea and picnic at the beach or do you want to take down the boat etc?
Would you get a mortgage of 250K earning 50K? Maximum we could get (with ASB over 25 years)on earnings of 65K was 240K.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

I'm of the opinion that there is not enough information given to appreciate the individual circumstances of the poster to allow us to opine on whether $50K is enough. Frankly, I would be thinking that a household income of twice that is much more necessary. However, we don't know how well capitalised the poster is.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

newbie 667 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Just checked out the cost of living calculator - its great.

Surely you can live on any amount of money anywhere if you live within your means.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:22 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newbie 667
Hi

Surely you can live on any amount of money anywhere if you live within your means.
I just laughed a hollow laugh at that post.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newbie 667
Hi

I agree with that.

My partner and I have lived on a number of different incomes and we always manage to have a roof, some food and a few luxuries.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:09 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
I agree with that.

My partner and I have lived on a number of different incomes and we always manage to have a roof, some food and a few luxuries.
Well I remember living as a student on $50k and I did okay

Just sick of those pot noodles
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:33 pm
---

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Well I remember living as a student on $50k and I did okay

Just sick of those pot noodles
A student on $50K

Holy cow- that's what my family of four live on now and I've *never* fed them a pot noodle Do you mean $5K perhaps?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:37 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
A student on $50K

Holy cow- that's what my family of four live on now and I've *never* fed them a pot noodle Do you mean $5K perhaps?
oops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.