Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

$50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

$50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: $50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

Originally Posted by DGH
Hi, I'm trying to work out roughly how much I would receive in net pay per month, so I can assess whether my potential NZ salary will be satisfactory for me to live comfortably in NZ.

Research suggests I should earn approx $50,000 per yr in my occupation as a teacher. I have trawled the internet to try find out how much may be deducted in taxes but can't seem to find it. Can anyone help?
The IRD website has a good calculator, its under PAYE or something like that. Your tax code will be M most likely.
I work out that $50k gives you about $3000 - $3100 per month after deductions

otherwise try sorted.org.nz
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed. 50K a year = 3K a month.

For a single person, its fine. For a family, not so good.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by mkumar
Agreed. 50K a year = 3K a month.

For a single person, its fine. For a family, not so good.
i would not get out of bed for less than 3k per week take home after tax.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 10:03 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
Well lucky you, but that's hardly a realistic ballpark figure for most people is it? Strange sort of bragging, but whatever does it for you ...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Listen, if you make over $100,000 in NZ than you are in the top 3% of income earners. If you make more than $150,000, than you are in the top 1% (or is it 2% can't remember) but you can see that the the post I am quoting is ridiculous.

However, not knowing how well capitalised the author of this thread is, it is impossible for anyone to comment on whether $50,000 is ok for him. For us, it is not and for many families it is not.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:28 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

The income calculator is very helpful thanks. Gives me a better idea of how much I'll be taking home per week. This, along with my partner's salary seems to suggest that we'll manage!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: $50,000 enough to live on in NZ?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
A student on $50K?
Possible in Civil Engineering here two years ago though I'd worked for them for three years part time.

OP have a poke around in your field in the private sector and you may be able to make more, $50k with a family is...well...a bit basic TBH. Wish you luck, keep trying .
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Best stay well away from NZ then aye??
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

It all depends on what you've been used to.
Here in NZ, that is a reasonable salary. We support 4 kids on less than 60000
but it is tight. My Oh works full time and I work part time and do some freelance wiriting aswell. Sorry but if you want more than that you have to have a double income. Most kiwis have both partners working or you cannot afford to live
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Oops, just realised you never said whether you are on your own, whether you have kids, whether you will have a mortgage etc.

If you're on your own that should be enough to live on. With kids I think if you have another half they might have to work at least part time, to be able to afford the nicer things in life. If you have a zero or very low mortgage then you could probably live OK, depending on where you want to settle. The bigger cities pay more usually but they also cost more in rent etc.

$50,000 is an average wage. Most kiwis need two incomes to survive if they are buying a house and have kids.