$2.13 = £1.00

Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:20 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $2.13 = £1.00

Originally Posted by colandros
i didnt ask anyone to feel sorry for me, that was the point.
I dont feel sad or bitter, it is what it is. just as todays rate is what it is.
For all the talk of where the rate should be, it isnt.
Those who are hanging out for higher rates need to be realistic.
Its no different to me saying I'm not going to exchange unless i get 3 to 1.
I could sit and wait forever cos it aint going to happen.
The same goes for now, the 2.4+ to 1 rates are well behind us and i dont
think they will be seen again for a long long time.

It doesnt matter how much an individual brings, money does not bring or buy happiness.
Some of the happiest people i know are piss poor
Well said, money can become an obsession and I for one didn't move to NZ for financial reasons. Don't let life past you by just get on with it and make the most of what you've got
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Not everyone comes to NZ with lots of cash to spend. Some only have a reasonable deposit for another house. So it's rather unfair to think that all Brits are cash rich. Perhaps some have made it too well-known that they got a good price for their UK property and may have been taken advantage of by eager estate agents, but this is not the case now with houses prices falling in the UK. And they are falling no matter what the hype says.

As to the weak pound and high dollar. It's no use feeling smug that the rate is great for Kiwis going back to the UK. No country can survice long with an over-priced currency, especially one that needs tourism like NZ. Where are the tourists coming from if the dollar is too high? How long can folks keep their jobs that depend on tourism? Who will buy the houses if folks cannot afford to bring their money in? Think how much the exporters have to pay with this over-priced Kiwi dollar. No, nothing to gloat about here.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Not everyone comes to NZ with lots of cash to spend. Some only have a reasonable deposit for another house. So it's rather unfair to think that all Brits are cash rich. Perhaps some have made it too well-known that they got a good price for their UK property and may have been taken advantage of by eager estate agents, but this is not the case now with houses prices falling in the UK. And they are falling no matter what the hype says.

As to the weak pound and high dollar. It's no use feeling smug that the rate is great for Kiwis going back to the UK. No country can survice long with an over-priced currency, especially one that needs tourism like NZ. Where are the tourists coming from if the dollar is too high? How long can folks keep their jobs that depend on tourism? Who will buy the houses if folks cannot afford to bring their money in? Think how much the exporters have to pay with this over-priced Kiwi dollar. No, nothing to gloat about here.
Correct. The overvalued kiwi is shafting the country. It is not a good look and long term (if the kiwis value remains high) it will damage the economy. Unfortunately with interest rate hikes in the pipeline it could get stronger and a hung parliament in the UK could further weaken the old quid. Bad, bad, bad. Naughty dollar.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:38 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

again just dont see the $2 for one pound thing being that big of a tourism buster as again its stil 2 for one!

sell an average house in the UK and you still can get an average house here in NZ at that conversion.

Job loss from lack of tourists is more down to lack of money the world over and not becuase its 2-1 for the pound! heck its not just propped up here by visits from the people of the UK!

NZ is so small so isolated that in the end we will become an Aussie state and for me all I reckon is important is getting more in line with them than worrying about what the bloody UK rates are doing or how much poor old Mr smith n jones is going to loose on his hard earned pound not conversion!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman
again just dont see the $2 for one pound thing being that big of a tourism buster as again its stil 2 for one!

sell an average house in the UK and you still can get an average house here in NZ at that conversion.

Job loss from lack of tourists is more down to lack of money the world over and not becuase its 2-1 for the pound! heck its not just propped up here by visits from the people of the UK!

NZ is so small so isolated that in the end we will become an Aussie state and for me all I reckon is important is getting more in line with them than worrying about what the bloody UK rates are doing or how much poor old Mr smith n jones is going to loose on his hard earned pound not conversion!
Highly doubtful we will become an Ozzie state in the near future OR distant, waaaay too much rivalry going on. Not going to happen in this generation. Re the kiwis value it will impact tourism as everything is 25% more as the kiwi is overvalued agin all currencies not just the pound. If people do come their cash only make 75% of what it would have made ergo the tourism business is missing 25% of its income. Look at the following example. Some one who has earmarked 10k GBP on a dream NZ hol will only be putting 20k NZ$ into the economy at the current rate. A year ago it would have been closer to $30k going back into NZ tourism coffers. So it is impacting and it will continue to do so until it finds a more realistic value.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 5:56 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Tourism UK to NZ will be hit as hard as the Euro has done to GBP. Brits now look to travel to none Euro countries as buying in the usual haunts, Spain, Greece, Italy etc is so, so costly. The likes of Turkey are reaping the benefits as are the Brits that travel there. The other winners are of course the Brit holiday resorts. Tourism NZ is your biggest export with 2.1/2 million visitors every year, luckily the Rugby cup will help out 2011, however with the GBP/$NZ staying poor the situation will be bleak for 2012.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Tourism UK to NZ will be hit as hard as the Euro has done to GBP. Brits now look to travel to none Euro countries as buying in the usual haunts, Spain, Greece, Italy etc is so, so costly. The likes of Turkey are reaping the benefits as are the Brits that travel there. The other winners are of course the Brit holiday resorts. Tourism NZ is your biggest export with 2.1/2 million visitors every year, luckily the Rugby cup will help out 2011, however with the GBP/$NZ staying poor the situation will be bleak for 2012.
Tourism to NZ is worth 9 billion $s a year. More or less what our dairy market is worth. Anyone who thinks it ain't going to take a hit at the current forex rates is quite an optimist. It will be interesting to se what the figs are in a few months time.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:34 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8612287.stm
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:47 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

yep NZ does need tourism agreed.

But lets face it the world changes so NZ will need to go with the flow and adapt.

In the end wether its this lifetime or my daughters or their kids the aussie/NZ join will happen and for all of the reasons you state above.

What if tourism cuts in half? would NZ cease to be here? I think not I reckon we will do just fine and adapt.

Maybe i'm dreaming who knows but once things get to the doom and gloom no tourist point i'm sure the powers that be will sort it out.

Time to start digging up the land for all the gold and stuff we have here that might help a bit if we can get past the greenies dont ruin the land crap!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis
Tourism to NZ is worth 9 billion $s a year. More or less what our dairy market is worth. Anyone who thinks it ain't going to take a hit at the current forex rates is quite an optimist. It will be interesting to se what the figs are in a few months time.
Well as usual I was wrong! Apparently I have heard today that tourist visitor numbers are up. Bang goes my theory on the kiwi's strength having a negative effect on tourism. I'll get my coat.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Well as usual I was wrong! Apparently I have heard today that tourist visitor numbers are up. Bang goes my theory on the kiwi's strength having a negative effect on tourism. I'll get my coat.
Woah there cowboy, before you go, I believe although the numbers may be up, they consist of low spending back packers. Because graduates can't get the jobs they want, they are loaning up and travelling waiting for the jobs to pick up. The higher spending ones I suspect aren't here.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by owen
Woah there cowboy, before you go, I believe although the numbers may be up, they consist of low spending back packers. Because graduates can't get the jobs they want, they are loaning up and travelling waiting for the jobs to pick up. The higher spending ones I suspect aren't here.
One hopes yer right cos that makes me less wrong. Which would be nice. I am afraid if have come round to all this talk of even at 2 for 1 you are up on the deal..and buy one get one free. Sod it, its only cash aye. I'd like to bring 50% of Kates money over now and get it behaving properly in the interest dept. Alas Kate still has her heels firmly stuck in the dirt. Onlt time will tell if she is right. Honestly whatever I am kind of past caring now. I have seen the light thanks to the comments from fellow posters.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

One hopes yer right cos that makes me less wrong. Which would be nice. I am afraid if have come round to all this talk of even at 2 for 1 you are up on the deal..and buy one get one free. Sod it, its only cash aye. I'd like to bring 50% of Kates money over now and get it behaving properly in the interest dept. Alas Kate still has her heels firmly stuck in the dirt. Onlt time will tell if she is right. Honestly whatever I am kind of past caring now. I have seen the light thanks to the comments from fellow posters.
Thats what we did bringing over all our money a couple of weeks ago.

Better to be earning $125 per month interest sitting over here than earning 12quid in 1 year back in the UK!!!!