Working & Living in Amsterdam

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:32 am

Pinocchio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working & Living in Amsterdam

Good Morning All,

It is my first day so I would like to say Hello and thank you for having me.

I am about to accept a long term contract in Amsterdam with an investment bank and wanted some advice on what Amsterdam is like as I have never been. Information such as Cost of living for those who have lived there and any information that you think will be good for me.

Many thanks in Advance

Pino
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working & Living in Amsterdam

Originally Posted by Pino
Good Morning All,

I am about to accept a long term contract in Amsterdam with an investment bank and wanted some advice on what Amsterdam is like as I have never been. Information such as Cost of living for those who have lived there and any information that you think will be good for me.

Many thanks in Advance

Pino
Hello Pino

I have never lived in Amsterdam, but have been there for a few long weekends, and just wanted to say hello and welcome. And I fancied straying into the Europe threads for a change!

How long is long term? Won't be so bad I guess as it's not too far from home, not like me stuck in Australia.

Best wishes to you.

Rosie Cheeks
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Hello Pino

I have never lived in Amsterdam, but have been there for a few long weekends, and just wanted to say hello and welcome. And I fancied straying into the Europe threads for a change!

How long is long term? Won't be so bad I guess as it's not too far from home, not like me stuck in Australia.

Best wishes to you.

Rosie Cheeks
Hi Rosie,

Thank you for being the first person to reply me, this is all so exciting.

The contract will be up to a year and I have a telephone interview today that will determine whether I get it or not. I would like to go as I have never been to Amsterdam before and it will be good to get the experience as well.

Will you ever live Australia to live abroad?

Thanks

Pino
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pino
Hi Rosie,

Thank you for being the first person to reply me, this is all so exciting.

The contract will be up to a year and I have a telephone interview today that will determine whether I get it or not. I would like to go as I have never been to Amsterdam before and it will be good to get the experience as well.

Will you ever live Australia to live abroad?

Thanks

Pino
I am originally from Wiltshire. I would like to live back in the UK one day. We are very settled in Australia, with work and the kids, and moving back home is much more frightening proposition than it ever was when making the decision to move to Australia. Weird really.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:58 am

Wink Re: Working & Living in Amsterdam

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I am originally from Wiltshire. I would like to live back in the UK one day. We are very settled in Australia, with work and the kids, and moving back home is much more frightening proposition than it ever was when making the decision to move to Australia. Weird really.
Wiltshire, Oh its so lovely there but I understand what you mean by been frightened.As you are settled in Aus with the family and kids there is no point. But if you win the lottery then that will not be an issue.

I have no committments at the moment so I can up and leave anytime.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 6:26 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Pino.

I've lived in Holland for the last 20 years, and can give you some good info on Holland in general. My sister in law lived in amsterdam for a number of years, and its a great place to live, but it is expensive. Living outside Amsterdam and commuting is similar to London. Heavy traffic, unreliable (but decent) trains, but it is cheaper to buy or rent property. It is also possible that your employer can give advice on renting.

I posted some help to another poster recently with info about Holland & Amsterdam here : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402238

If there is anything more specific you want to know, just let me know

Paul
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi there Pino.

I've lived in Holland for the last 20 years, and can give you some good info on Holland in general. My sister in law lived in amsterdam for a number of years, and its a great place to live, but it is expensive. Living outside Amsterdam and commuting is similar to London. Heavy traffic, unreliable (but decent) trains, but it is cheaper to buy or rent property. It is also possible that your employer can give advice on renting.

I posted some help to another poster recently with info about Holland & Amsterdam here : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402238

If there is anything more specific you want to know, just let me know

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for that information. I shall check out the link and let you know If I have amy more questions.

Thank you

Pinocchio
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Pinocchio
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for that information. I shall check out the link and let you know If I have amy more questions.

Thank you

Pinocchio
Hi Paul,

That link was very helpful thank you . Can you kindly explain the expate 30% tax rule to me as I have had so many explanations.

Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:49 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul,

That link was very helpful thank you . Can you kindly explain the expate 30% tax rule to me as I have had so many explanations.

Thanks
Not quite sure what you mean.

I have always paid full Dutch tax, but when I came over I was 20, and I didnt worry about tax and that sort of rubbish.

Do you mean a special tax for foreigners for a certain period of time while in Holland ?

I can ask a neighbour (Also British with a Spanish wife) who works for the Patent office over here, and also has special tax rates if thats what you mean
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:13 pm

Not quite sure what you mean.

I have always paid full Dutch tax, but when I came over I was 20, and I didnt worry about tax and that sort of rubbish.

Do you mean a special tax for foreigners for a certain period of time while in Holland ?

I can ask a neighbour (Also British with a Spanish wife) who works for the Patent office over here, and also has special tax rates if thats what you mean

Hi Paul,

Yes I mean tax for non dutch residents? I understand its 30% .

Pinocchio.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:25 pm
Going for a ride

Hi Paul,

Yes I mean tax for non dutch residents? I understand its 30% .

Pinocchio.
Is it possible to ask you future employer if he has any previous experience in the matter with other expats ?

Ill find out what I can

Paul
Old Nov 7th 2006, 8:53 pm

Is it possible to ask you future employer if he has any previous experience in the matter with other expats ?

Ill find out what I can

Paul
I will do

Thanks

Paul
Old Dec 9th 2006, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

OK it's been a while but basically the 30% rule is a something certain expats can get, whereby the first 30% of your salary is paid tax free and you pay normal tax on the rest. It's a lot harder to get than it was 10 years ago, and normally you should ask your employer to mention it on your contract. If you end up buying a home the benefit will be pretty much wiped out anyway.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

carmenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! Cost of living is similar to all major european cities I'd say. In terms of accomodation; I rent space to people like you, and if you are looking for a place to live email me by clicking on my username
Good Morning All,

Many thanks in Advance

Pino

Last edited by jdr; Jan 18th 2007 at 9:38 am.