Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

What's your experience in The Netherlands?

What's your experience in The Netherlands?

Old May 21st 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

LDvandenBerg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's your experience in The Netherlands?

Hi all,

Short introduction of myself: my name is Lisa and via a schoolproject I'm looking for the cultural differences between British expats and the Dutch residents.

I'm really curious for your experiences thusfar and I was wondering if I could give a few of you a couple of questions for my research project.

Thanks in forehand!
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your experience in The Netherlands?

Feel free to ask some questions. I don't mind helping.
Old May 24th 2015, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

LDvandenBerg is an unknown quantity at this point

@Red_Wine_Fairy

Thanks! I'm not allowed to send private messages yet, but I will come back to you with all the questions!
Old May 24th 2015, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent a response - let me know if you need any clarification Good luck!
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

CityLife is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had the 'privilege' of living in the Netherlands for 6 months... the Dutch are by far more functional than the Brits- how there's an app that predicts the weather, and then to realise most of the Dutch people in the office actually use it before leaving their homes...they have a greater degree of natural confidence- don't go in for buying the latest sofa or fashion for that matter, Dutch food is an absolute disaster zone- a country-wide obsession with eggs, sauce, bread and even take-away food such as Chinese can't get away from it, the infrastructure in the NL is incredible. Dutch I find are very clingy and will give the impression they are often open minded, liberal and will play to the whole Dutch cliche however I have found that beneath the surface many have what could be considered as racist views and though of course the UK has this problem too I find the Dutch issue more sinister/fake. You'll notice in the NL that many of the cars on the roads are a lot older than the UK, in the UK debt really isn't much of a problem, in the NL it's some what a taboo- so getting a new flashy BMW on finance is considered as 'normal' as it is in the UK- I have never been in a country which such an unattractive relationship with money, the Dutch are obsessed with being tight there's even a device here that can scrap out the last drips of a Mayonnaise jar...and as for going into a supermarket and expecting to purchase your shopping with an American Express card and getting double air miles- forget it. Back to supermarkets, they play a big role in UK society- here the supermarkets aren't as 'American'. I have actually answered your question at all, I'm just going on typing a load of crap! Anyway lovely country...can't wait to get out of it though. All the best! Jan
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

CityLife is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and after work- I've noticed that many of the Dutch guys will quite happily sit down, talk over a pathetic 200ml beer which is half full of foam, whereas the British from work (me included) are asking for a 'large Heinkein mate' trying to pay with a credit card that isn't accepted even though I've been told by hotel staff that isn't accepted..and talking about how crap the company we work for its. One final note- customer service in the UK is okay, not up there with the states but OK...in the Netherlands it is truly DIRE. There! Jan
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:07 pm
Undutchable

Stephka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa, I'm Dutch and I'm a bit sad reading these rather sceptical posts. I hope you've had some more positive replies for your school project too? I will be happy to answer your questions from a Dutch point of view, if this will help you!
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CityLife
Oh and after work- I've noticed that many of the Dutch guys will quite happily sit down, talk over a pathetic 200ml beer which is half full of foam, whereas the British from work (me included) are asking for a 'large Heinkein mate' trying to pay with a credit card that isn't accepted even though I've been told by hotel staff that isn't accepted..and talking about how crap the company we work for its. One final note- customer service in the UK is okay, not up there with the states but OK...in the Netherlands it is truly DIRE. There! Jan
Whoa You can tell that is a Brit male talking here Jan even with a Dutch name lol

I don't know how long you have lived in NL ? but it does sound like it's been a very short time.I lived in NL for 30 yrs.brought up two daughters.went through all the gamut of 'heemweg',learning the language etc. It was a love/ hate relationship. However looking back I can say it was one of perhaps the last privileged experiences a mother and children could wish to have in western Europe.My daughters are true citizens of the world now thanks to their childhood in NL..Happy to answer more questions if you pm me
Old Aug 27th 2015, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Netpon is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here for a year now and whilst I agree with some of the above, I am very happy here and we are planning to stay long-term rather than the original 2 year we had planned. There are differences and it is frustrating sometimes, but on the whole I think it is a great country to live in and I would much rather raise my children here than in England
Old Aug 27th 2015, 10:41 am
Just Joined

old wanderer is on a distinguished road

City Life-You sound like many of the short term ex-pats I've met over the years. Here for six months and know the country plus its citizens in every aspect. Do you speak fluent Dutch? No, ofcourse not.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I smell a big dose of culture shock, nothing to worry about. It does get better!, CityLife, or rather, you find your place in the scheme; 6 months is no time at all

I'm 100% with Netpon!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Not hearing anything from the OP so maybe LD Vandenberg's school project is done?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I think so. May is soooo last term