Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Visas issues...UK citizen moving with US spouse to Netherlands

Visas issues...UK citizen moving with US spouse to Netherlands

Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:27 am
Just Joined

321.adam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visas issues...UK citizen moving with US spouse to Netherlands

Sorry about the overlong title...don't know how to phrase all this any better.

I'm a UK national currently in California, but planning on moving to Amsterdam with my US citizen spouse. She wants to study, and I'll be looking for work.

We are not yet married, but planning to get married soon in the US. The plan was to apply for a visa for her to come to the UK as my spouse, then move to the Netherlands. However, I'm not sure how and if this process will work.

Should we apply for the UK spouse visa, spend a few months there and then move to the Netherlands? Would this give her legal residency in the Netherlands?

or...is there something more efficient we should do? Can she enter the Netherlands on a different visa, one issued by the Dutch authorities?

We are pretty confused about all this. The Dutch websites are pretty good, but it'd be great to have a real-life human opinion on this. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:08 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visas issues...UK citizen moving with US spouse to Netherlands

Originally Posted by 321.adam
Sorry about the overlong title...don't know how to phrase all this any better.

I'm a UK national currently in California, but planning on moving to Amsterdam with my US citizen spouse. She wants to study, and I'll be looking for work.

We are not yet married, but planning to get married soon in the US. The plan was to apply for a visa for her to come to the UK as my spouse, then move to the Netherlands. However, I'm not sure how and if this process will work.

Should we apply for the UK spouse visa, spend a few months there and then move to the Netherlands? Would this give her legal residency in the Netherlands?

or...is there something more efficient we should do? Can she enter the Netherlands on a different visa, one issued by the Dutch authorities?

We are pretty confused about all this. The Dutch websites are pretty good, but it'd be great to have a real-life human opinion on this. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
If she's biologically your daughter? Apply for a duo nationality in the USA, get her a UK passport then she can come into Holland on her UK passport, no visa needed then. Only if she travels back to the USA, she needs to travel on her USA passport.

Dutchie
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dutchie
If she's biologically your daughter? Apply for a duo nationality in the USA, get her a UK passport then she can come into Holland on her UK passport, no visa needed then. Only if she travels back to the USA, she needs to travel on her USA passport.

Dutchie
She's definitely not my daughter...she's going to be my wife soon.

Hope that clears up the confusion. Any ideas about what we could do based on this?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:18 am
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 321.adam
She's definitely not my daughter...she's going to be my wife soon.

Hope that clears up the confusion. Any ideas about what we could do based on this?

Well if you marry her in the USA, file the marriage papers at the UK Embassy in the USA doesn't the UK then recognize her as a UK national? I know some European countries do. In that case the problem would be solved as a UK national is allowed to work and live freely in Holland as per EU agreement.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Well if you marry her in the USA, file the marriage papers at the UK Embassy in the USA doesn't the UK then recognize her as a UK national? I know some European countries do. In that case the problem would be solved as a UK national is allowed to work and live freely in Holland as per EU agreement.
That sounds about right - it's a little difficult to tell exactly how it's going to work out, but I think she'll get all the rights she needs...

Thanks for the advice on this,
Ad