Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

USA blocks sale by Philips of it's Lumileds division

USA blocks sale by Philips of it's Lumileds division

Old Jan 24th 2016, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default USA blocks sale by Philips of it's Lumileds division

My my. Whatever happened to 'Market Forces'? and the great 'American Way.' Only applies to the USA then. Anyone in NL a tad upset about this big brother bullying?
Old Jan 24th 2016, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA blocks sale by Philips of it's Lumileds division

Probably down to the fact that the buyer was Chinese and some perceived security interests.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
Probably down to the fact that the buyer was Chinese and some perceived security interests.

I believe so- and we think that Brussels is the one who tells us what to do
Old Jan 24th 2016, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
(Apologies for a political rant here). Wait till the EU signs up to TTIP if you want to see how much of a threat the US can be to European business/structures.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 7:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

(Apologies for a political rant here). Wait till the EU signs up to TTIP if you want to see how much of a threat the US can be to European business/structures.
You only have to look at the treaty the EU agreed with the US on international airline services to realise that the EU couldn't negotiate it's way out of a paper bag! Flights by British and European carriers cannot pick up passengers in the US on an inward flight that makes multiple stops, whereas American airlines can fly to London, or Paris (or wherever) drop off some passengers, then take on more passengers before flying to another airport in Europe.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmm *****just a minute. Amend that reply.Just read that the USA has JUST sold it's General Electric 'white goods business to China's Haier company for 5.4 billion dollars.Excuse me for not following this too well.How is their case different from the Dutch case?..

In fact while we are on the subject. Should we not (Brits that is,in the first instance) turn our attention away from the perceived ills of Brussels and an Angela Merkel lead Eurozone.towards the USA's interventions and actions of late.

We have just had an 'urgent' reminder from the Rabo Bank about a form we should have filled in from them concerning our 'activities '? in the USA (we have none) The first form was sent just over a week ago.Aparantly this information has been demanded by the USA. We are Brits.Our company is registered in the Netherlands.We traded exclusively in Europe. WTF has it to do with the USA?.( I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of retaliation for the fact that huge companies like Google have been found out,skulking in Europe, not paying anything like the amount of tax they should?)
However it still doesn't answer the question of why when the USA says jump,we all have to jump.If they go after our companies (like BP) we all lie down and do nothing.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm *****just a minute. Amend that reply.Just read that the USA has JUST sold it's General Electric 'white goods business to China's Haier company for 5.4 billion dollars.Excuse me for not following this too well.How is their case different from the Dutch case?..

In fact while we are on the subject. Should we not (Brits that is,in the first instance) turn our attention away from the perceived ills of Brussels and an Angela Merkel lead Eurozone.towards the USA's interventions and actions of late.

We have just had an 'urgent' reminder from the Rabo Bank about a form we should have filled in from them concerning our 'activities '? in the USA (we have none) The first form was sent just over a week ago.Aparantly this information has been demanded by the USA. We are Brits.Our company is registered in the Netherlands.We traded exclusively in Europe. WTF has it to do with the USA?.( I can't help but wonder if this is some sort of retaliation for the fact that huge companies like Google have been found out,skulking in Europe, not paying anything like the amount of tax they should?)
However it still doesn't answer the question of why when the USA says jump,we all have to jump.If they go after our companies (like BP) we all lie down and do nothing.
I'm not sure about the document you got from your Bank, we haven't had one over here. The current elephant trying to force its way into the room is TTIP; this link gives you some perspective from the UK pov. As far as the EU are concerned, they are in favour of TTIP and it will probably get waved though without any national debate. If the UK does vote to leave the EU, then it will not apply in the UK; it's probably the single biggest reason why I would vote for the UK to leave the EU in the forthcoming vote over here.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about the document you got from your Bank, we haven't had one over here. .....
Maybe your bank doesn't have branches in the US?

BTW that guff about TTIP is mostly scaremongering. I don't agree with everything in it, but mostly it will just accelerate the inevitable, hopefully in time for the US and Europe to get their act together before China buys up everything.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 27th 2016 at 1:45 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not sure about the document you got from your Bank, we haven't had one over here. The current elephant trying to force its way into the room is TTIP; this link gives you some perspective from the UK pov. As far as the EU are concerned, they are in favour of TTIP and it will probably get waved though without any national debate. If the UK does vote to leave the EU, then it will not apply in the UK; it's probably the single biggest reason why I would vote for the UK to leave the EU in the forthcoming vote over here.
Yes is this the Transatlantic Treaty thing? It is slipping under the wire while our heads are turned by whats going on with the immigrants/ Refugees. I can't help thinking it is similar to the bringing down of the Berlin wall. There was zero publicity about that at the time (and I lived on the German border) It totally halted Germany in her tracks for 10 yrs. I'm not sure that was a very desirable thing for a country that was forging ahead at the time and causing serious concern in the USA.business world .Funny how it put a stop to all that quite effectively. Couldn't really complain .Having 800,000 refugees storm your borders just while your trying to hold the EU together is having a similar effect...and who caused both events to happen? either directly or indirectly?.
I love crime series on TV.I always guess who the perp is by looking at who has the most to gain from the crime. Don't have to look far on this one.