Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:41 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Originally Posted by nightrider
Haha nice1! and fair comment about mushy peas,I can see why some people would`nt like them,though I like them best with pie+gravy.
Now if somebody that's a UK national will just explain to me why on that island nobody seems to be able to cook peas? What I've had dumped on a plate, it reminded me of a Woody Allen movie. So I sat there and just waited until the green mass would crawl off my plate. But it didn't, took me twenty minutes to build up the courage to try them but my brain kept on refusing to see it as something that looks like food. The fish? Awesome... The chips? Okay... You guys nicked the idea from the Belgium's, who niched the idea from us Dutchies. I'll forgive you...
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:01 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by barnowl
Hi Dutchie.
as i type i am cooking peas with a casserole, but it is a prefferance as to if u want soft or semi soft veg, i like mine cooked or raw. peas from the pod are amazing. carrots raw are great, its just taste and texture, tonight i made casserole with mash aardapple (potatoe) thats carrots onion mushroom (champion) is mushroom salt pepper and 3 oxo.
its an english meal but i know my family will eat it with vigour. (with love) a fat belly is a happy belly lol.
I was born just after ww2, i was one of 9 kinder (kids) my dad worked at the docks and mum was a housewife, his pay was small (klien) but we all survived i think i am very lucky, we all ate good enough, supermarkets never existed, but every meal was 4 existence not for what we have today,but thats fine, i look at my wifes son and get mad somedays, he wastes sooooo much. it is strange when one can shop and argue, I WANT DOHNUTS ? for gods sake i want 2 be a millionaire. truth is when in moved 2 holland ,,, my life changed. it is wonderful and i lost nothing,i gained a wife and will die here, food well thats a prob lol no pies or pasties.
selfish being i am, lots huggs owl.
Well I was born a few years after you, spent nearly 18 years working all over this planet. Even in the UK!!! Had this awesome Grandmother like lady where I rented a room. Her cooking was a dream to see and taste. The only thing she never understood? Why we Dutchies eat all the gravy. Her hubby loved our Jenever, drank it like water. And yes... I could hear myself thinking "You're going to wake up with Big Ben standing next to your bed..." Which did happen.

And now? About to leave Holland again soon. This will be the third time I watch my furniture being bought and hauled of to an auction. Well a bed, a few chairs, a dinner table I converted into my office, a cooker and the most important thing, my coffee machine is all that is left. Sounds hollow in here.

For me home was always where I would hang my hat. And life is what you make out of it I always say. My parents weren't rich either, my father worked his butt off and we always had three meals a day. I used to love growing my own vegetables and herbs. Always tasted better, and it really did hurt when I had to sell off that little plot of land. The price an expat pays right? Wouldn't mind some of that food you where cooking yesterday, but looking at a plate of Chinese food as I type. Love oriental foods. Loved "Suchi Street" in Tokyo.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

barnowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again dutchie,
Well i hope you have a smooth move though, you dont say where you are going, ? jeneva i have tried but to be honest i prefer a vodka, anyway my wife likes a couple a year and i will take a glass lol, some beers for xmas with a roast dinner and good company, my son bought a stacaravan and we have it in the garden here, he comes over about 4 times a year and brings along some food stuff for me, there is NO problem on the food front here as i said before, one can buy or make anything, anyway lady you have a nice smooth move and a great xmas and new year, keep in touch and let us know how you get on please.
and chinese is possibly the best food in the world, i love it and make my own regular, including a chinese curry sauce which i get from the uk, if anyone can get it, it is called mayflower curry sauce mix, and you just add water to it, wonderful, now i am hungry and will run off and get my roast kip dinner with sprouts, aardapples, roast aardapples , peas. and oxo gravy. yummy.
take care and talk soon, Ralph.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:26 pm

Hi again dutchie,
Well i hope you have a smooth move though, you dont say where you are going, ? jeneva i have tried but to be honest i prefer a vodka, anyway my wife likes a couple a year and i will take a glass lol, some beers for xmas with a roast dinner and good company, my son bought a stacaravan and we have it in the garden here, he comes over about 4 times a year and brings along some food stuff for me, there is NO problem on the food front here as i said before, one can buy or make anything, anyway lady you have a nice smooth move and a great xmas and new year, keep in touch and let us know how you get on please.
and chinese is possibly the best food in the world, i love it and make my own regular, including a chinese curry sauce which i get from the uk, if anyone can get it, it is called mayflower curry sauce mix, and you just add water to it, wonderful, now i am hungry and will run off and get my roast kip dinner with sprouts, aardapples, roast aardapples , peas. and oxo gravy. yummy.
take care and talk soon, Ralph.
Hiya Barnowl !!!

As for the job? Well I have an offer for Dubai, but with all the warnings I'm getting from various people, I'm seriously doubting on moving out there. Also have one lined up possibly in South America early next year. It's in Brazil and I'd give an instant party if the guy called me and told me to step on a plane tomorrow. But I have a small one man company, so I can afford to sit back and wait it out.

Sushi is my absolute favorite, Indonesian food at second place . I love making it for good friends and family. Raw, really fresh materials used. Hmmm... I used to spend two hours a day in those little Sushi places in Tokyo. It's not quantity, but quality food. Just watching those little wooden bowls float by on ice cold water. Piece by piece a little art work. That's the only thing I miss about Japan, their food!!!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:26 am
Just Joined

nightrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Ever tried it lately? It's nearly all import and tastes like fried rubber....

Yeah I got some kibbling a while back and some of it was ok and other peices were like snot inside,I`ve never bought it since then.Going back to the subject of peas,have you ever tried peas pudding?That`s peas blended to a yellow paste.My parents used to eat it when I was growing up and I`ve tried it a few times but find it dry and not at all paletable,steer clear or that one Dutchie.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:46 am
Just Joined

And yes... I could hear myself thinking "You're going to wake up with Big Ben standing next to your bed..." Which did happen.

Interesting. . . is that a double entendre? . .can you explain it for me please?

Last edited by nightrider; Dec 11th 2008 at 8:15 am.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:53 am

Interesting,is that a double entendre?can you explain?
Hi Nightrider,

It's a typical Dutch expression for a hangover. To hear "Dong.... Dong.... Dong..." with every move you make or every sound you hear around you. Jenever is famous for that side effect in the mornings. And the hangovers it generates are the worst possible.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:58 am

Yeah I got some kibbling a while back and some of it was ok and other peices were like snot inside,I`ve never bought it since then.Going back to the subject of peas,have you ever tried peas pudding?That`s peas blended to a yellow paste.My parents used to eat it when I was growing up and I`ve tried it a few times but find it dry and not at all paletable,steer clear or that one Dutchie.
It's because of the "quota fishing" in the north sea. Most kibbling nowadays isn't actually kibbling anymore, but imported fish from the far east. It's either like you say "snot" or tastes like fried rubber. Peas with yellow paste!?!? God I'm glad I didn't have my breakfast yet. You'd have to put a serious amount of cash money on the table to make me try one spoon full of that. Sounds more like recycled puke to me. No way... It sounds even more horrible then the stuff they try to sell you in the fish and chips shops.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Hi Nightrider,

It's a typical Dutch expression for a hangover. To hear "Dong.... Dong.... Dong..." with every move you make or every sound you hear around you. Jenever is famous for that side effect in the mornings. And the hangovers it generates are the worst possible.
Oh right I see thank you.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dutchie.
as i type i am cooking peas with a casserole, but it is a prefferance as to if u want soft or semi soft veg, i like mine cooked or raw. peas from the pod are amazing. carrots raw are great, its just taste and texture, tonight i made casserole with mash aardapple (potatoe) thats carrots onion mushroom (champion) is mushroom salt pepper and 3 oxo.
its an english meal but i know my family will eat it with vigour. (with love) a fat belly is a happy belly lol.
I was born just after ww2, i was one of 9 kinder (kids) my dad worked at the docks and mum was a housewife, his pay was small (klien) but we all survived i think i am very lucky, we all ate good enough, supermarkets never existed, but every meal was 4 existence not for what we have today,but thats fine, i look at my wifes son and get mad somedays, he wastes sooooo much. it is strange when one can shop and argue, I WANT DOHNUTS ? for gods sake i want 2 be a millionaire. truth is when in moved 2 holland ,,, my life changed. it is wonderful and i lost nothing,i gained a wife and will die here, food well thats a prob lol no pies or pasties.
selfish being i am, lots huggs owl.
By the sound of it Barnowl, you must be about the same age as me. I am in complete agreement with you. I also found a Dutch wife, now have a Dutch daughter and grandson and will not be returning to the U.K. After 38 years in Holland, I sometimes feel more Dutch than British. When I'm writing something in English I have to have a dictionary at hand or ask my wife, who speaks 6 languages.
As far as finding British food products I can recommend Thomas Green's in The Hague. They stock a big variety of British produce, such as pork scratchings!!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

barnowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Canzoet,
Happy new year to you and your family, as it happens my son popped over from wales and so my wife had her pork scratchings hehe. yes there was a thomas greens in groningham but sadly it closed, still thats not the end of life just another page turned over in the book of life.
In fact he was very impressed with the cooking here and we ate like likkle piggies, all home made and fresh first night indian curry as you will prob know not really indian but what we call indian in britain, then next night roast beef dinner then xmas day we had chinese, next was a casserole then stew then corned beef hash lol it was a marathon of food and, anyone being a little worried about dutch food can relax, there is soo much we can make ourselves, my wife also cooked dutch which always goes down a treat, gosh i am sorry it sounds like i live for my belly haha. Well ok i do like to eat.
canzoet you dont say where you live but you certainly have been here a while, nice to meet you sir and thankyou for the reply, best regards. Ralph.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

Well Ralph, there is as you say nothing like the love of good food. Holland has plenty to offer, certainly seeing the selection of restaurants that are now spread throughout the country. I must say my wife would not think of trying some pork scatchings!! I suppose it is an acquired taste
As to where I live well its the next town to Den Haag, Zoetermeer.

Best regards George
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Barbara C is an unknown quantity at this point

I am amazed at the way this thread has gone. I am a brit living in Kuala Lumpur and I can understand the need for familiar things including foods aorund when you move away from home. It has nothing to do with embracing a new life in a new country it is about having a few home comforts. It dosen't matter if you move to Holland or Malaysia! I have been here nealry three years now and I still buy british goods that are horrendously overpriced because that is what we like it hasn't stopped us trying or buying local food so do not take it personal when someone wants a little bit of home even if (following your husbands job) you are having an adventure in a new country. Joanne77 just to let you know I was not to keen on coming to Malaysia and still have bad days but overall it is an amazing opportunity and the kids will adapt so much better than you could ever of imagined. You also have the advantage of being so close to UK! Give it a go keep an open mind and enjoy. Best advise is get out and about and meet people whether they are locals or ex-pats. Good Luck