Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Nightrider, sorry read that you have after 12 years of living in the country failed to found your way around the Dutch kitchen.
In what way are the Dutch supermarkets inferior to the ones found in the U.K.?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

nightrider is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Casa Santo Estevo;6985035]Nightrider, sorry read that you have after 12 years of living in the country failed to found your way around the Dutch kitchen.

You don`t know me so don`t make presumptions about me or my eating habits,I`ve adapted fine to the Dutch kitchen thanks.Look,I have my opinion,you have yours they can be different........peace.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:50 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love a broodje kroket and patatje met pindasaus now...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
I'd love a broodje kroket and patatje met pindasaus now...
Hmmmm pinda saus (drools on pc)
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:58 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry did not mean to hassle you and I don’t understand why you have personally confront me, I am not the only on here that has questioned your rational.

You are the one affirming your preferences in that you find U.K. food and that the shops are better. I have only asked for you to develop your debate a bit better, so that we all have a better understanding of what you are stating. There is nothing wrong with that!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:00 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightrider
Hmmmm pinda saus (drools on pc)
I am seriously thinking of making some from scratch right now...it's not that hard...licking my lips at the thought...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Sorry did not mean to hassle you and I don’t understand why you have personally confront me, I am not the only on here that has questioned your rational.

You are the one affirming your preferences in that you find U.K. food and that the shops are better. I have only asked for you to develop your debate a bit better, so that we all have a better understanding of what you are stating. There is nothing wrong with that!
Yeah whatever mate,see I`m not really looking for a debate and orrigionally just wanted to answer the OPs question and didnt think it was open for interrogation.I`m not into argueing with random strangers online so sorry I`m done here.Bye.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
I am seriously thinking of making some from scratch right now...it's not that hard...licking my lips at the thought...
I`ve got some kant en klaar in the fridge right now
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:09 pm
hmmmm...nice

I`ve got some kant en klaar in the fridge right now
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Yeah whatever mate,see I`m not really looking for a debate and orrigionally just wanted to answer the OPs question and didnt think it was open for interrogation.I`m not into argueing with random strangers online so sorry I`m done here.Bye.
Having travelled extensively in many European countries and having lived in 3, I can honestly say the Dutch supermarkets are the worst in the whole western world....in every respect except maybe price.....some examples....cashiers who deliberately squash your shopping by throwing it down the conveyor too fast, fruit which is going rotten left on sale, no bread left on the shelves by 3pm, lines never change, ready meals/convenience food way too salty...I could go on.
The OP has my sympathy - supermarket shopping will not be a pleasure in NL although if in Den Haag you could try AH at Leidsenhage at one point it was the biggest in NL but the new mega AH stores are a waste of space in that the number of lines are much the same, it's just that they have bigger quantities of the same on the shelves.
It is sobering to learn that the owner of AH lives in the ....UK lol!

Whilst not wishing to get personal anyone who rates Krokkets (based on the versions I encountered) is seriously culinarily (?) challenged .
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:56 am
Just Joined

joanne77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Sorry I didnt mean to start such a big debate!!! Each to their own though, im sure everyone has different thoughts, that are all just as justified!!!

I dont really want to go to Holland to live, however my husband has a very good opportunity for work and career, and I dont want to be apart from him for three years. I hate change!!! Hopefully though, Ill be pleasently suprised, and find myself enjoying the new experience, who knows....

I asked about shopping because, I want our lives (for me and the kids), to be as normal as possible initally,to ease settling in. Thanks for your replys.

Nightrider, if you still want to PM that would be fine, and very much appreciated xx
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:11 pm

May be you should not go after all because when you read all of this you will seemly stave like the rest of the Dutch.
But if the food quality is that bad then ask yourself why do the Dutch live longer on average then the Brits?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/34...in-Europe.html
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Having travelled extensively in many European countries and having lived in 3, I can honestly say the Dutch supermarkets are the worst in the whole western world....in every respect except maybe price.....some examples....cashiers who deliberately squash your shopping by throwing it down the conveyor too fast, fruit which is going rotten left on sale, no bread left on the shelves by 3pm, lines never change, ready meals/convenience food way too salty...I could go on.
The OP has my sympathy - supermarket shopping will not be a pleasure in NL although if in Den Haag you could try AH at Leidsenhage at one point it was the biggest in NL but the new mega AH stores are a waste of space in that the number of lines are much the same, it's just that they have bigger quantities of the same on the shelves.
It is sobering to learn that the owner of AH lives in the ....UK lol!

Whilst not wishing to get personal anyone who rates Krokkets (based on the versions I encountered) is seriously culinarily (?) challenged .
haha well said mate......all of it.You know,in our local AH they let the sushi go 2days over the date before removing it,that would be unacceptable in uk.They Dutch are way more advanced on some things but completly left way behind on others........and casa,before you start,I`m not replying to any more of your posts so don`t bother.

Last edited by nightrider; Nov 19th 2008 at 8:21 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joanne77
Sorry I didnt mean to start such a big debate!!! Each to their own though, im sure everyone has different thoughts, that are all just as justified!!!

I dont really want to go to Holland to live, however my husband has a very good opportunity for work and career, and I dont want to be apart from him for three years. I hate change!!! Hopefully though, Ill be pleasently suprised, and find myself enjoying the new experience, who knows....

I asked about shopping because, I want our lives (for me and the kids), to be as normal as possible initally,to ease settling in. Thanks for your replys.

Nightrider, if you still want to PM that would be fine, and very much appreciated xx
For sure I`ll do that but just not now coz I`m kinda pushed for time right now but will pm soon.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanne77

I asked about shopping because, I want our lives (for me and the kids), to be as normal as possible initally,to ease settling in.
Dutch supermarkets are one of the worst aspects of Holland from an expat non-working spouses' point of view and the Dutch probably live longer (if they do) because of all the cycling they do...it's certainly got nothing to do with the healthy food available.
At least the Hague has some decent mainstream/designer shops and lots of expats you can easily make friends with especially if you are putting your kids in the international school sector. It also has the major plus point of being geographically close to the UK.

I don't think you need fret about understanding food labels...they do have pictures on as well usually lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.