Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

is there demand for plasterers in holland????

is there demand for plasterers in holland????

Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

kendookae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is there demand for plasterers in holland????

hi everybody....i am a skilled plasterer who has served a 4 year apprenticheship and have 6 years experience and would like to work in holland. to all the people living and working there is there a demand for plasterers??? whats working life like in holland ??? would i be able to work direct for dutch employers ? are they willing to take british people or do you need to be a dutch national will i have to go through an agency any advice would be appreaciated thanks
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

swfc77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is there demand for plasterers in holland????

i am in the same boat mate, i have an agency looking for work for me out there. i would imagine you stay as a subby.

they dont use the same gear though mate, its knauf mp75 i think 2 coat stuff backing plaster and finishing plaster all in 1, i think.
they also use something else but if you can spread skim and rule backing you should be ok, im going onmy own are you taking a gang with you.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:39 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

kendookae
Welcome to the forum.
Yes you can work for Dutch employers. And no you do not need to be a Dutch national. If you are citizen of the EU then you are free to move around the EU to find work. There is a lot of information in the WIKI at the top of the Dutch area of this forum.
Whilst The Netherlands is surviving the financial crisis well compared with other counties there is still a problem with the housing market as it is effected by the banks not having money to lend for mortgages, just like the rest of the world. So you may find that working in the building trade is going to be difficult.
Having language skills is going to be a big bonus too. If you do not understand the language then it is going to cost your employer more to have you trained in health and safety matters etc etc. That cost maybe too muck for an employer when he can choose between you and a Dutch speaker.
Personally I have heard a lot of bull coming out of mouths of agencies. I have learnt to take what they say with a pinch of slat. The best way to obtain any work is to be in the area knock on doors and find out for yourself if the situation is good or not.

Whatever you choose I wish you luck.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

no mate im just trying to find out as much as possible goin to save some money n go next year when things hopefully pick up again...i have no problems ruling n that...i used the foreign materials at college there not as good as ours no bad but.....im just going to go myself..when you planning to go over ?? go on to the eures website the site for all european nations type in stukadoor in the jobs bit i done it the other day 62 matches came up its all in dutch but then go on google n type in translator n you can copy n paste the txt in it n get info mostly renovations jobs like general plastering up to date posts aswell.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Casa Santo Estevo;9008340]kendookae
Welcome to the forum.
Yes you can work for Dutch employers. And no you do not need to be a Dutch national. If you are citizen of the EU then you are free to move around the EU to find work. There is a lot of information in the WIKI at the top of the Dutch area of this forum.
Whilst The Netherlands is surviving the financial crisis well compared with other counties there is still a problem with the housing market as it is effected by the banks not having money to lend for mortgages, just like the rest of the world. So you may find that working in the building trade is going to be difficult.
Having language skills is going to be a big bonus too. If you do not understand the language then it is going to cost your employer more to have you trained in health and safety matters etc etc. That cost maybe too muck for an employer when he can choose between you and a Dutch speaker.
Personally I have heard a lot of bull coming out of mouths of agencies. I have learnt to take what they say with a pinch of slat. The best way to obtain any work is to be in the area knock on doors and find out for yourself if the situation is good or not.

Whatever you choose I wish you luck.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

thanks for the advice was really useful. im going to save some money learn the language get my dutch VCA you can sit the test in english its a bit of a bonus i guess. Are you working there at the moment ? or have you worked there previously ?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

swfc77 is an unknown quantity at this point

im going in jan, i know some1 who is out there at the minute but i haven't heard from him until today hence why i posted here.

he's doing 810 euros a week after tax and insurance, im not going over to get rich or anything but the trade has died in this country way too many plasterers around yorkshire which is where im based. £70.00 a day no thank you thats not for me.

my e-mail is (SNIP) so drop me a message and i'll keep in touch let you know what its like when i get there.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 28th 2010 at 10:15 pm. Reason: Not a good idea to put your email on a public forum
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:40 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

No I moved from NL a few years ago to start a new business adventure in Spain. But I still keep up to date with all things Dutch