Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Dual nationality finally on the horizon for us?

Dual nationality finally on the horizon for us?

Old Oct 10th 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dual nationality finally on the horizon for us?

in English

in Dutch

This was part of today's press release on the formation (finally) of a coalition government.

For those us us who moved to the Netherlands many years ago (5jr+/ qualified for PR?), and have been faced with a Dutch govt who had previously been vehemently opposed to dual nationality, this might just be the lifeline we've been hoping for.

I will try to keep this topic up to date for those who are also concerned about their future here, but feel free to share updates as you find them (from reputable sites, please?)

Old Oct 10th 2017, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality finally on the horizon for us?

Weird - all 3 of my children have valid Dutch and British passports; they've never been asked to give up either (they did have to declare that they had a second nationality). Maybe it's different because their mother is Dutch.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not worry about this too much yet. Rutte changes his mind like the wind direction..besides the only reason behind this is to make sure they still have ways of making Dutch citizens pay taxes even when abroad..
Old Oct 12th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
For those us us who moved to the Netherlands many years ago (5jr+/ qualified for PR?), and have been faced with a Dutch govt who had previously been vehemently opposed to dual nationality, this might just be the lifeline we've been hoping for.
I scanned through the published document, but didn't read in detail. Where do you see your desired "lifeline" being mentioned?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I said 'might'. Until it's law, it's just a few lines in wish list and we all know how they can turn out. If I remember it's at the end of section 1.1
Old Oct 14th 2017, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
I said 'might'. Until it's law, it's just a few lines in wish list and we all know how they can turn out. If I remember it's at the end of section 1.1
Ah, now I see what you are referring to:
Het kabinet bereidt in samenhang voorstellen voor ter modernisering van het nationaliteitsrecht. Het betreft een verruiming van de mogelijkheid van het bezit van meerdere nationaliteiten voor aankomende eerste generatie emigranten en immigranten. Gelijktijdig komt er voor volgende generaties een verplicht keuzemoment dat daadwerkelijk leidt tot het behoud van niet meer dan één nationaliteit.
This means that a "first generation immigrant" could obtain Dutch citizenship and keep his/her original citizenship(s). However, the children of this immigrant will be forced to make a decision as they will only be allowed to have one citizenship. Interestingly, it also states that they want to create something similar for emigrants, so Dutch people who have left the Netherlands and would like to obtain citizenship of another country.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:11 am
Just Joined

WelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to behold

Frankly, I wouldn't hold my breath too long on this one.. Our politics have taken a turn to the right across the board in recent years. The new coalition cabinet is one of compromises. It's a sign to me the none of the major players (Rutte being the exception) are willing to take up cabinet positions and prefer to stay on as party leaders.

I hope I'm wrong, but this could become a cabinet of stalemates with an almost non-existent house majority...