Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Searching for someone, please help

Searching for someone, please help

Old Oct 7th 2015, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Daria.Cro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Searching for someone, please help

A big hello to all of the English expat community in the Netherlands. I have a request to make and I didn't know who to turn to. I am looking for a person I met in Panama couple of weeks ago but I have just the basic information and unfortunatelly not his name (I think it starts with D but I'm not sure). He is 48, he moved to the Netherlands years ago from England and he is a chef who likes to paint in his spare time. He visited Costa Rica and Panama in September. This might be a bit strange but it is the only information I have and I thought maybe this site could help me locate the person.

If you have any information, you can post it here or send me a private message, or if you have any ideas where I could look for this person, let me know.

Very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Daria

Last edited by Daria.Cro; Oct 7th 2015 at 3:29 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Searching for someone, please help

Hi Daria,

That's a big ask; I'm not sure how many people browse these forums, so you might be better off asking on Facebook (there are some "ex-pat" groups on there) as well, and ask people to share it.

Good luck with your search.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 4:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Christopher Naylor is a British chef at Restaurant Vermeer, but is only 45-46 (born in 1970).

Spoiler:
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be comfortable giving out that information even if I knew who it was. You could be anyone, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, but your motives might not be honourable - or he might simply not have given his information because he doesn't want to be found.

I believe the correct etiquette in this situation is to make a notice/post your information (where you met, how he knows you, how to reach you) so that if he wants or needs to find you, he has your contact details. It would be easy enough to make a new gmail or yahoo account and post it around. Try the Facebook group Expats in Amsterdam as I believe there are several thousand members.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I know a chef called David who's lived here for many years and was the brother of one of my school friends back in the UK. Again, I think he's roughly 46. I would be happy to pass on your details to him, but not the other way around.

And no, I won't post his photograph without his knowledge/consent....
Old Oct 8th 2015, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
I know a chef called David who's lived here for many years and was the brother of one of my school friends back in the UK. Again, I think he's roughly 46. I would be happy to pass on your details to him, but not the other way around.

And no, I won't post his photograph without his knowledge/consent....
Anything posted on a public website is fair game, like having your name in the phone book, people can access that information.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, I just find it poor etiquette to give out someone's personal info like that.

At the extreme, you could be putting someone in danger by providing info like that (think about people fleeing abusive relationships, or people on a witness protection programme) - social media is a gift to people 'searching', it's not all as innocent as finding old school friends and long lost relatives.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all, I see I was completely oblivious, I didn't realise my post could be interpreted in a negative manner because I had no bad intentions, I feel really embarrassed now.

So I will rephrase my request and say:

Hello, we met in Panama around the 24th of September on a trip to San Blas islands. We had lunch with the older Polish couple who lives in Sweden and after lunch we visited the "piscina" to see the starfish, we were on a separate boats. I am from Croatia, we talked about prisons and how you miss the English landscape (this sounds weird ) I am leaving you my e-mail here so you can contact me if you want to: < snip >
I will try with facebook groups.

Thank you.

If you feel this message is inapropriate, feel free to remove it, I can see now where it all went wrong.

Kind regards

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 8th 2015 at 9:24 pm. Reason: Snip out personal email addy . There are spambots and oddballs out there.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Sorry, I just find it poor etiquette to give out someone's personal info like that.

At the extreme, you could be putting someone in danger by providing info like that (think about people fleeing abusive relationships, or people on a witness protection programme) - social media is a gift to people 'searching', it's not all as innocent as finding old school friends and long lost relatives.
My only tool is Google. If I can find them using Google, so can anyone else, including the OP. I am "giving nothing out", and if they are in danger they have brought that, perhaps inadvertently, upon themselves. ..... Not that it matters because I can't find a British chef "David" in the Netherlands, at least not yet.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2015 at 8:35 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

I tried to send a private message to Red Wine Fairy but this is what it says: The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with more than 3 posts. Then again, I can't leave my personal data here because the administrator removes it.

I would very much appreciate the person behind the nick Red Wine Fairy to write me a message so I can give him/her my hone number and my e-mail so the person I'm looking for can contact me if he wants. Thank you.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2015 at 8:53 pm. Reason: I do that to protect you from spambots and oddballs out there who would deluge you with all sorts of nasties.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Dear red wine fairy, please send me a private message so I can give you my contact information so the person can contact me if he wants to. I am not allowed to leave my info here nor can I send messages. Thank you very much.

Kind regards
Old Oct 12th 2015, 8:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Daria.Cro.

you may contact RedWineFairy via BE email or via PM. Click her username and a drop down menu will appear. Chose which option suits.