Student moving to amsterdam

Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

halesvd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student moving to amsterdam

Hi there
I am a student moving to work as an intern in amsterdam for 5 months. The first five months I won't be paid but the second 5 months I will be paid.
Does anyone know if I would have to pay some sort of tax for living and working here.
Kind Regards
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student moving to amsterdam

Tax, no. But internship = working, which means you will require health insurance. On the plus side, the Dutch tax authority will help you to pay it while you're unwaged, even if you haven't paid into the system. Quick calculation = 100 per month insurance, 80 back from the taxman = cost to you 20 euros.

Your other commitment is to register legally as a resident with your local town hall, but you need to do this anyway to access your BSN (for health insurance) and DigiD (for accessing the tax or any other official website). Oh, and to legally deregister on leaving.

Your main focus should therefore be on securing affordable accommodation which in Amsterdam is a total nightmare. Best of luck!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

halesvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!!!
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.duwo.nl/en/home/ - but I have no idea if they count internships!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My son has just moved into his Duwo apartment, he is a student at AUC. They are heavily oversubscribed but the staff are very kind and helpful so you could go and see them. You might also ask at your place of study which management company they use for accommodation.

I have a question about BSN, son went to townhall and they are sending a note to his address then he can take this note to be given his bsn. However ING bank told him he has to wait for the bsn before opening an account for him. This will mean waiting about 2 weeks forbsn. So.is it true he must have bsn to open a bank account?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

It really does vary by bank, and even by branch. I find them to be very good at passing off as knowledge that which is their opinion, because it saves them time actually having to look up the rules. Some banks will open an account on the promise you give them the BSN asap - I have heard via the grapevine that ASN is one of these.

I'm surprised though - I thought the BSN was automatically issued upon registration? It is perhaps something Amsterdam specifically do, to prevent registration fraud?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:30 am
Just Joined

WelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
It really does vary by bank, and even by branch. I find them to be very good at passing off as knowledge that which is their opinion, because it saves them time actually having to look up the rules. Some banks will open an account on the promise you give them the BSN asap - I have heard via the grapevine that ASN is one of these.

I'm surprised though - I thought the BSN was automatically issued upon registration? It is perhaps something Amsterdam specifically do, to prevent registration fraud?
Your kidding me,right? An opinionated Dutchman? Who would have thought it?