Potential Move to Nijmegen

Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:43 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice
Default Potential Move to Nijmegen

I'm wondering if there are any helpful websites out there that anyone knows about, I am in negociation with a potential employer in Nijmegen and would like to look into cost of living and appropriate salary scales so I can work out a better deal.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2007, 6:07 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move to Nijmegen

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
I'm wondering if there are any helpful websites out there that anyone knows about, I am in negociation with a potential employer in Nijmegen and would like to look into cost of living and appropriate salary scales so I can work out a better deal.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris.

I just replied to your other thread, but heres a bit of additional help (hopefully)

This is a link to a housing site for renting in Nijmegen. It looks like for 750/900 euro's will get you an appartment, and 1000/1200 euro's will rent you a house with 2/3 bedrooms.

If you have some equity, I would recommend buying for the 2 years you are planning on being over. House prices are good, and constantly rising. Rental choice can be a bit limited, and not cheap, and if you have a mortgage, you can declare a large amount back from the taxman. Interest rate is pretty low still (about 3.8%)

I declare about 1/3rd of my mortgage interest payments back per month. (350.00 euro's)

General standard of living is good IMO. Food and drink is definitely not dearer than the UK. Petrol is a little more expensive.

I find furniture, clothing, and general items cheaper than the UK.

You will probably earn a bit less than the UK (depends on what work you do)

Let me know what sort of job you are applying for, and maybe I can find out the normal salary for the job.

Paul
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

radicalbyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential Move to Nijmegen

Nijmegen's nice, and it's improving.

Be careful with buying: you'll incur costs totalling 10% of the purchase price when buying an existing house. Most of that is tax. Only with a new build do you avoid that cost.

House prices are inflating, last year Nijmegen was over 5%.

Do the math, taking into account that cost, the wasted rent, the tax you can avoid (it's significant) and all.

Driving costs are LESS then UK if you do 20,000km+/year and drive a diesel.

Cost of living is similar to living in the Midlands in England. You must make use of the tax breaks, though.

Wages are a bit less. Though in my case it was the same. Does depend on what you do and the current currency rate. It also doesn't compare to London (I was offered three times my wage to work there, but the cost of living is significant and that job had way more responsibility).