Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Old Dec 8th 2012, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Tylerjet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Im very fluent in Dutch but I worked for 8 months on a project in drachten (Friesland) and there language is very annoying.

Also anybody looking for work who as a driving license I could put in a good word in with the company I work for.

You have 12 weeks to learn the basics and then you have to do a small exam 20 multi choice questions.

I passed it 4 years ago and my Dutch was rubbish then.

I can pass ur details to the owner but can't promise you will get a job and I'm not sexiest but its more of a mans job unless the ladies like showering end of the day with lots of naked men lol.

Kind Regards
Andrew

Last edited by Tylerjet; Dec 8th 2012 at 10:48 am. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tylerjet
t its more of a mans job unless the ladies like showering end of the day with lots of naked men lol.
I guess you're going to get loads of applications from the North East then....

By the way in the last episode of kanniewaarzijn:
http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/progr...ringen/1311264

there's a funny fragment of a man from Sneek who was robbed 1200 euros by Vodafone, starts at min 12. Very funny.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 8:05 am
Just Joined

hahahaha gioppino i never had any help so i know how hard it can be finding a decent paying job so of i can help anyone i will do so.

Last edited by Tylerjet; Dec 9th 2012 at 8:07 am. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

alliekat is an unknown quantity at this point

Im very fluent in Dutch but I worked for 8 months on a project in drachten (Friesland) and there language is very annoying.

Also anybody looking for work who as a driving license I could put in a good word in with the company I work for.

You have 12 weeks to learn the basics and then you have to do a small exam 20 multi choice questions.

I can pass ur details to the owner but can't promise you will get a job and I'm not sexiest but its more of a mans job unless the ladies like showering end of the day with lots of naked men lol.

Kind Regards
Andrew
Andrew:

My husband and I are considering moving to the Netherlands. He's a UK Citizen and I'm American. I'm sure he'd like to know more about the job you are talking about. Is it a Dutch driving license that is required? Is a UK one alright?

Thanks!

Allie
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure about the laws here and how long you can use a uk one but I think after a certain amount of time you have to exchange it for a Dutch one
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

DanielD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again,

I previously posted on this forum as i was planning on moving to Leeuwarden an am now posting as i have actually moved to Leeuwarden!

However i have found work hard to come by so i was wondering if anybody knew of the best places to look for people who are not yet fluent in Dutch.

I have qualifications including a BA Hons degree however would do pretty much anything if it means me earning some money whilst i am still mastering the language.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DanielD
Hello again,

I previously posted on this forum as i was planning on moving to Leeuwarden an am now posting as i have actually moved to Leeuwarden!

However i have found work hard to come by so i was wondering if anybody knew of the best places to look for people who are not yet fluent in Dutch.

I have qualifications including a BA Hons degree however would do pretty much anything if it means me earning some money whilst i am still mastering the language.

Thanks,
Daniel
Hey Daniel,

I found it pretty hard to find work here, and was in fact unemployed for 8 months before getting something.Though I wasn't looking for all that time. I found it useful to search indeed.nl for things like English and Native. Try popping into the job agencies and talking with them, they might just have the perfect opportunity that they haven't advertised yet. Its all about getting out there, making sure you're active in looking and looking in all the odd places - bars, restaurants, hotels, anything.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

lymohmania is an unknown quantity at this point

Kind Regards
Andrew
Hey Andrew,

Is it still possible to take you up on that offer? I've got an English licence, up to C+E, im an ex-military mechanic.

Kind regards,

Fortune
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:46 am
Just Joined

DanielD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again everyone,

I have posted a couple of times about finding a job in Leeuwarden. I unfortunately was not able to find one the first time I came to the city, however it was not a big problem as my girlfriend (who is Dutch and studies at Stenden University) had to undertake a work placement which I was able to secure for her in the UK so we moved back to my home where I was able to work for the last year. This placement has now ended and I am back in Leeuwarden and once again looking for work so I wondered if anybody had any hints or tips that could help me?

I have been looking hard and have been to the job agencies such as Randstad and Tempo Team of which none have been able to help me so far due to the fact my Dutch is basic and still only at level A1. I would obviously willing to travel for work and have also been looking at the closest big cities such as Groningen but have still not had any luck.

Thanks in advance to anybody who is able to help
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

The problem with the travelling thing is that even though you are willing to do so, Dutch employers tend to take people on who live closer mainly because its normal for employers to pay up to 100% of the travel costs - so needless to say, they want to spend as little as possible. Also, anything over 30 minutes is a day trip to Dutch people as they treasure their leisure time and don't want to spend more than necessary commuting - I've found all this out while looking for jobs as well.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DanielD
Hi again everyone,

I have posted a couple of times about finding a job in Leeuwarden. I unfortunately was not able to find one the first time I came to the city, however it was not a big problem as my girlfriend (who is Dutch and studies at Stenden University) had to undertake a work placement which I was able to secure for her in the UK so we moved back to my home where I was able to work for the last year. This placement has now ended and I am back in Leeuwarden and once again looking for work so I wondered if anybody had any hints or tips that could help me?

I have been looking hard and have been to the job agencies such as Randstad and Tempo Team of which none have been able to help me so far due to the fact my Dutch is basic and still only at level A1. I would obviously willing to travel for work and have also been looking at the closest big cities such as Groningen but have still not had any luck.

Thanks in advance to anybody who is able to help
Hey Daniel,

End of November last year I was more or less in a similar situation. I quickly found out if you don't speak much Dutch most job agencies don't want to know about it. My suggestion is do whatever you can to learn enough Dutch to carry out a basic phone conversation at the very least just so you can get your foot into the door. When it comes to the interview just try to blag it somehow. Last year November I went to Randstad and soon as they found out I couldn't speak a single word of Dutch they kindly showed me the door. Fast forward 6 months I went back armed with a few more Dutch phrases and I managed to get my self heard and landed a job with Scania in Zwolle. Ofcourse It also depends on what skills and quals you have at the moment and if there is a demand at the time. Job hunting here has been the single most frustrating and stressing thing ever, and learning a bit of Dutch will save you a lot of trouble. And you can do that for free at Friesland College; however it was doing my head in and I eventually quit but not before I was confident enough to face the uitzendbureau peeps.

Sorry to give you the "learn Dutch" speech, im sure you have heard it a few times already. I have heard it so many times it only makes me want to do the opposite but I have to reluctantly agree that its probably best to do so, and I will eventually get round to doing that at some point

Before my current job this uitzendbureau (benrflexwerk.nl) did give me a chance at a cleaning job but even then I had to at least understand some Dutch. Their facebook page is more up to date.

Goodluck mate!
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

Oh, you live in Zwolle too??
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

No I actually live in Leeuwarden and I drive to work.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, ok