Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Possible to sponsor girlfriend for visa in NL?

Possible to sponsor girlfriend for visa in NL?

Old Jul 12th 2016, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

JimAmsterdam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible to sponsor girlfriend for visa in NL?

I have a non-EU girlfriend in NL who is due to leave at the end of August due to the expiry of her au-pair visa. She has lived in NL for a little less than 2 years (first year on a student visa). We have been together for 2 months. I am British and have lived/worked in NL in a highly skilled job for 15 months. Is it possible for me to sponsor her to remain in the country without getting married? She is not currently living with me though could at a moment's notice.

I have searched and could only find some basic information about bringing unmarried partners to NL with mvv - the rules on cohabiting (etc) were unclear to me. I have scheduled an appointment with an immigration lawyer next week, but would be grateful for any help members of this forum could provide.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JimAmsterdam; Jul 12th 2016 at 8:00 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible to sponsor girlfriend for visa in NL?

If you have an EU passport, forget the mvv. That is for immigrant brides/partners for Dutch nationals. Immigrant brides/partners of EU nationals living here under EU law are not subject to Dutch law but to EU law.

IANAL: So long as you can prove cohabitation for 6 months *somewhere* (joint bills, gemeentee basisadministratie uitreksel?) you will be ok; a samenleving contract will suffice (they changed the rules on that recently but your lawyer will advise you further, I think) but be aware that this is virtually a marriage with tax and financial support implications, and after a two month relationship, is that really the level you want to take it to? It's none of my business, but eight weeks and you're about to take on what will be a jobless partner - for how long? (I shouldn't ask, but I have sons and I'd be going crazy if they proposed such a scheme after 8 weeks, knowing it was lust rather than love, and telling them that if it was true love, it would survive with time and space.... knowing full well my own son's relationship with his ex didn't). But if you insist this is the real deal and you'd rather live in a squat than be without her, you need to be able to prove six months of living together to qualify for family (re)formation.

The good thing about the Netherlands is that they don't leave too many grey areas: you qualify or you don't. If you don't, you then choose whether to do it legally or risk her being illegal (and even Americans get deported for overstaying). You should be able to do your research on the IND residence wizard, to prepare you for your upcoming lawyer appointment.

https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/reside...ntry-nationals

Last edited by Red_Wine_Fairy; Jul 13th 2016 at 6:20 pm. Reason: Added link