Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Amsterdam.. but confused!

Possible move to Amsterdam.. but confused!

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

adec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move to Amsterdam.. but confused!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the useful information in this forum, but I'm confusing myself now about how best to go forward..

Apart from the last year in the UK (I'm British), I've spent the previous 6 years in the US. I am registered here in the UK through the Gov't Gateway.. but not convinced I'm registered to vote.. that's a Q that I have for later..

Current situation :

About to start working remotely for a small/startup US Company. Only a small number of employees, and everyone works on a Consultancy contract. So my UK Ltd company is the entity that has signed the consultancy contract, and I work for the UK Ltd company.

If I was staying here in the UK, then my company would pay me approx £11k a year, plus Qtrly dividends.

I've worked in Amsterdam a lot before, and like the place, so as I am working remotely, I thought I'd look at renting an apartment there.

If I live in Amsterdam, then I'll need to rework the salary / dividend aspect - I read somewhere that when applying to rent, my current plan would be a terrible one to present to a rental Agency ?

Also the Consultancy contract (even those it's long term) doesn't seem to be a favorable method for the rental Agency ?

..and on top of that, I read something about proving your past years residency by proving your on the electoral role etc.. so I'm going to fail at that too

So all in all, am I reading the stories of people trying to lease an apartment wrong, or is it going to be difficult.. the US Company will pay my Company about just over 4k euros / mth ..so we need to deduct tax from that too ..

Any advice welcome! Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Amsterdam.. but confused!

When my daughter went through this aspect of moving back to Holland, she got a letter from our local council in the UK that she had been living there for X amount of years, but they were only willing to do it because she had been listed on the electoral roll for our address. The landlord was pretty flexible in what he would accept as evidence, we just chose that one as it was the easiest for us to achieve (she had already moved back), so perhaps speak to a couple of letting agencies and see what they will accept?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

adec is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah am gonna head out there for a week, and basically find some agencies to talk to.. get local advice..
Old Mar 29th 2018, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd look at renting an apartment there.

I think you (and most others thinking the same) need to know this is a sellers/landlords market. We are back to pre-downturn levels and a studio can cost upwards of 1200 if you insist on being anywhere near the city centre.

Those on an average wage have almost no chance. Those who have the cash to pay several months in advance (plus a months deposit, plus a month's agent fee) might fare better.

In Amsterdam, you've always got friends if you're a short-term tourist or a rich expat. The rest have to deal with reality. Relieving (perceived) rich foreigners of their cash is a national sport at every level from the street to the gov't. Populist anti-immigrant sentiment is as destructive here as it is in parts of the UK.

If you're happy to houseshare (in the city) or are happy to live in a commuter city, then you might fare better. If you can persuade a serviced apartment complex to take you on with your listed salary that might be your best option short term until you're here on the ground.