NS Season Tickets

Old Dec 5th 2017, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

neurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to behold
Default NS Season Tickets

So I know it is specific for a route between two stations, I'm just wondering, is it also valid on in-between stations? Say, the ticket is e.g. between Haarlem and Amsterdam Centraal, is it still part of the "unlimited number of journeys on your route"-deal, if you occasionally decide to go from Sloterdijk instead?

I can't find this info on the website, does any of you know by any chance?
Old Dec 12th 2017, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

neurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NS Season Tickets

More importantly why can't I pay online with a Visa cars to purchase one?

And why should I even pay after last night's performance ffs, how is that even normal that there's a little snow and suddenly everything stops, and nobody helps and they're offended that you ask them something!

And why aren't roads and pavements shovelled and where are the grit boxes?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

You are making a newbie expat mistake: do not project your norms/values/customs from your home country on the country you are visiting. It may backfire on you.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SushiFan
You are making a newbie expat mistake: do not project your norms/values/customs from your home country on the country you are visiting. It may backfire on you.
I'm not a newbie expat, I've done this before in another country. I'm not projecting my customs, I just want to be able to use my money and get to work without breaking a bone. Not being able to buy a season ticket is costing me a lot and I already fell over twice on the pavement because of the ice. These are real problems, not just failed expectations.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with the rail questions, but I don't find NL that different to the UK in its inability to cope with a sudden heavy snowfall. It just shuts down early. I agree with you about the gritters; they do the roads and even have snazzy mini-ploughs for the bike path, but pedestrians can go whistle. You can buy snow shovels and strooizout (bags of grit/salt), but it's not provided.

I have spent the last two days walking on roads and bikepaths, middle fingers prepared should anyone decide to complain at me taking their safe-spot, but so far everyone has been pretty understanding.

It's pretty much gone now - let's hope it doesn't return too soon. And watch out for Elfstedentocht fever among the Dutch if it does.... that's something quite unique.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neurotic
More importantly why can't I pay online with a Visa cars to purchase one?

And why should I even pay after last night's performance ffs, how is that even normal that there's a little snow and suddenly everything stops, and nobody helps and they're offended that you ask them something!

And why aren't roads and pavements shovelled and where are the grit boxes?
Really glad you're getting on in Holland.

Generally, occupants are responsible for clearing snow/ice around their property.

Credit cards are a bit strange in Holland, they have them, but they have their own unique internal banking card system (I forget the name) for buying things like train tickets, or other stuff on line. That said, I just checked the NS website and they say they do accept credit cards - weird, must have changed since last summer (or a senior moment).
Old Dec 15th 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
they have their own unique internal banking card system (I forget the name)
iDeal
Old Dec 16th 2017, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Why don't they do things the way they do them back in Brum ?" the English way is always the best ! LOL
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
"Why don't they do things the way they do them back in Brum ?" the English way is always the best ! LOL
I'm not English ffs! I don't expect another country to be run like others, I just want to stop losing money and sleep at home. Look I was stranded for 6 hours at a bloody train station in a country I don't speak the language of or don't know anyone to turn to, with no information available to me on what was going to happen, or where I can ask for help. I'm also paying a lot more for this service than I calculated because I don't yet have access to the discounted option, it's just not available to me because I can't pay for it with Visa.

This on top of spending more on everything else, including an extra month's deposit just because. On a flat that still had mice droppings in the cupboards and the limescale in the toilet took three whole bottles of acid. I came here with a decent amount of savings and I lost all of it. All. Of. It. And I might not be able to open a bank account this year. But I realise now that I have to clap and smile for all this and not voice any dissatisfaction or else I risk being labelled a naive one with expectations too high, or worse, an arrogant Englishman who thinks things should be run the British way.

Well no. By the way I'm a bloody immigrant to Britain, believe me that was a bigger culture shock than moving back to continental Europe. I had an unreliable zero-hours job and I couldn't open a bank account for years. Scotrail was also run like a really expensive joke, and you guys don't use winter tires either. Except that there, I understood the announcers, I could read the screen and I knew who to call. I wasn't alone and I actually moved because I wanted to be there and I had years to prepare for it.

This time I was recruited for a job which just happens to be here so I had to make the move on my own within my month's notice. Yes I did my research, I came to this forum, I talked to some very helpful people, I'm trying to be prepared, but sometimes, bad experiences still happen and I'm bloody well allowed to be upset at them! It doesn't make me arrogant, or naive and I still believe it will be worth it. I got what I wanted: I don't have to share my living space with strangers and I already feel more trusted and valued at my new job than I've ever been treated in Scotland. But let me just discuss that I'm shocked at the price I have to pay for this, please.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
I can't help with the rail questions, but I don't find NL that different to the UK in its inability to cope with a sudden heavy snowfall. It just shuts down early. I agree with you about the gritters; they do the roads and even have snazzy mini-ploughs for the bike path, but pedestrians can go whistle. You can buy snow shovels and strooizout (bags of grit/salt), but it's not provided.

I have spent the last two days walking on roads and bikepaths, middle fingers prepared should anyone decide to complain at me taking their safe-spot, but so far everyone has been pretty understanding.

It's pretty much gone now - let's hope it doesn't return too soon. And watch out for Elfstedentocht fever among the Dutch if it does.... that's something quite unique.
It's true that the British rail service also breaks down at the first sight of snow but I found the people a lot less service-minded here, who seemed genuinely pissed off by questions asked to them. I don't mind rudeness but it has to be honest, don't just make up any answer to make me go away.

"Elfstedentocht fever" what is that?
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cynic
Really glad you're getting on in Holland.

Generally, occupants are responsible for clearing snow/ice around their property.

Credit cards are a bit strange in Holland, they have them, but they have their own unique internal banking card system (I forget the name) for buying things like train tickets, or other stuff on line. That said, I just checked the NS website and they say they do accept credit cards - weird, must have changed since last summer (or a senior moment).
I heard that it's because they refuse Visa and Mastercard to make money on their transactions, so they made up their own, which is a logical explanation at least, but I'm still annoyed at how many things it excludes me from.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 11:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neurotic

"Elfstedentocht fever" what is that?
Google is your friend!
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm concerned, why can you not get a Dutch bank account?

You registered, but forgive me I don't know the modern procedure, did you get your BSN there and then or do you still need to wait? Is this what's holding you back?

All I can offer is to try every branch in Haarlem, and if they turn you down, try a different bank near your workplace in your lunchhours next week. The 'rules' really do depend on who you see that day! I've heard of some expats getting an account without a BSN or without an employment contract, and I've heard of others who get denied even with both.

Or perhaps try every bank that you can navigate online with the help of google translate? At least the AI behind an online transaction has only two options as to whether you met the criteria or not Every Dutch account will give you access to PIN card facilities and to iDeal for online shopping.

You have absolutely every right to complain about your experiences here - every right - and screw anyone who tells you otherwise. My savings went, most people's do. Eventually you will start to recoup them but separating expats from their money is a Dutch sport. It started with your landlord but it won't end there (he will try to not return your deposit, count on it) but you knew what you were getting into there. In addition to the taxman, it will happen in bars when they don't hear a Dutch accent, and you'll possibly find your health insurer dipping into your account to take out you 'own risk' contributions with little prior notice because, unlike other countries, they probably had it written in the small print they could do so. It's a country that in some ways is like the UK and in others is definitely not. I'm sad that your honeymoon period didn't last longer: by summer when the weather is ... less horrible .... and the terraces are full, you will find a different Holland that you might learn to like better

Expats complain, not because they're trying to expand the Empire again with their standards, but because every darn human on earth complains when things outside their control inconvenience them (or in this case, increase your risk of having an accident).

Elfstedentocht fever is something that overtakes the Dutch when it looks like we're in for a long freeze: it's in the newspapers, it's on their TV. They don their lycra onesies and ice skates and practice for the 11-cities skating event. It's funny because it's a national obsession/frenzy and it hasn't happened for around 30 years now, and it's rather sly yet satisfying to see their disappointment as the media stokes their hopes only to see it dashed as the thaw sets in. Yes, I'm a horrible person, but it's payback for not gritting pedestrian areas, even around old folks homes or on train platforms.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, the reason for the lack of an account is because I didn't get the BSN right away, I was told that I would receive it by post. I was told by my colleagues that you can't open a bank account without an appointment, so I phoned for one and I have one next week but I might not receive a BSN by then (I thought I would get it immediately) and so the bank might reject me without one. I still don't want to cancel the appointment because it's worth a shot but I don't know what to do if I get rejected because it's Christmas soon and I will have to borrow money from my boyfriend again to pay for the second month's rent. I asked my employer and they said that they would be able to pay me temporarily onto my UK account if I still don't get a Dutch one though so that's another option.

I was prepared for this and unfortunately I do expect having to fight for my deposit back but I got so angry about it that I swore that I would get it back at any price I think my employer has a discount with one health insurer so hopefully I get a better deal on that one though.

The money situation annoys me so much because it took me such a long time to build up those savings. I feel that I worked so hard for this feeling of not having to worry and it lasted such a little while and now I'm back to square one again. The prospects and my hopes for the future are much much better than it was in the UK but the immediate situation feels a lot worse so it's a tough time and naturally I'm having a lot of doubts.

There are also new people and colleagues so sometimes you need to be the generous one and buy people drinks and Christmas is coming and I want to buy gifts too and I'm already using money I borrowed and it really upsets me because I took this job so I can finally be able to build up a career and make a living. I knew it would require an initial investment but being completely skint just sucks, even if it's temporary. I already lost a lot of my confidence by losing the understanding the language and the mobility of our car, and having to count your last pennies just takes the rest of it away.

I know I'm lucky because I came for a good job, and I'm not a refugee fleeing famine and war, and it's not that I'm experiencing huge traumas, but these little things add up and it doesn't take a lot to start crying at the next inconvenience, doubting all your decision making abilities and your entire life in general.

"every darn human on earth complains when things outside their control inconvenience them" - Exactly! I'm not very easy outside my comfort zone in general, and it's particularly hard to do it alone. So I thank you your replies because this forum provides this place to share them!

I do wonder whether the weather affects my mood about it all, although winter has its charms, the festive lights are also pretty and mulled wine smells lovely. Also, Elfstedentocht fever sounds like something I hope to catch too, I actually nearly packed my ice skates just in case so I might find something homely here afterall
Old Dec 19th 2017, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you also not able to use your Visa Card to buy a season ticket at the desk in Amsterdam Centraal?

It says on this website that they take mastercard and visa at the terminals also:
https://www.ns.nl/en/travel-informat...e-station.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.