No Skills, No Dutch

Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Skills, No Dutch

This post should be stickied right at the top of the forum
Old Sep 28th 2015, 12:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
This post should be stickied right at the top of the forum
..... and not just the Netherlands forum!!
with Dutch replaced by the language of each country concerned, and "children in tow" added, as a lot of apparently single parents wish to move to Continental Europe with dependent children, but without skills nor the language to ensure employment. A single person with no ties could go for it, but not a parent responsible for the welfare of their child(ren).
Old Sep 28th 2015, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought I was just a grumpy old man complaining about the younger generation. Can I give MYSELF karma ?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

SuperNova is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
..... and not just the Netherlands forum!!
with Dutch replaced by the language of each country concerned, and "children in tow" added, as a lot of apparently single parents wish to move to Continental Europe with dependent children, but without skills nor the language to ensure employment. A single person with no ties could go for it, but not a parent responsible for the welfare of their child(ren).
What I find interesting about you folk on the forum, is that some of you, rather than imparting advice and yes, realistic expectations, you come with judgement and hostility and often times condemnation.

life doesn't end because you are a single parent. You still need to educate, clothe and feed your children wherever you happen to be. You do not know all the in's and outs of an individuals situation.

People are seeking a better life and some are not afraid to take CALCULATED risks to enhance theirs and their children's lives and futures.

No the grass is not always greener, however who says that we should be content with our lot and not seek to find what works better for us.

I own a property, I have a good job and the opportunity to move to another country with a company I have worked with for years. I want my children to live in a clean, relaxed (maybe bureaucratic) yet reasonable safe environment - and am willing to have a short term inconvenience for long term gains. - What is wrong with that?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperNova
..... I own a property, I have a good job and the opportunity to move to another country with a company I have worked with for years. I want my children to live in a clean, relaxed (maybe bureaucratic) yet reasonable safe environment - and am willing to have a short term inconvenience for long term gains. - What is wrong with that?
Nothing. You are moving with a job, and appear to be taking a carefully thought out decision. The thrust of this thread is against the naive and foolish who think they can up-sticks and move to a country where they don't have a job to go to, don't speak the language and have few if any marketable skills to earn a living, given that they don't speak the language. And "naive and foolish" doesn't begin to describe those who envisage making such a move with children in tow.

Oh, and the "advice" which you seem to have overlooked, is "go somewhere where you have a cat-in-hell's chance of finding work and supporting yourself". That advice is not "judgemental" and "hostile", it is honest and realistic.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 28th 2015 at 10:42 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nothing. You are moving with a job, and appear to be taking a carefully thought out decision. The thrust of this thread is against the naive and foolish who think they can up-sticks and move to a country where they don't have a job to go to, don't speak the language and have few if any marketable skills to earn a living, given that they don't speak the language. And "naive and foolish" doesn't begin to describe those who envisage making such a move with children in tow.

Oh, and the "advice" which you seem to have overlooked, is "go somewhere where you have a cat-in-hell's chance of finding work and supporting yourself". That advice is not "judgemental" and "hostile", it is honest and realistic.
I have read a few posts and there are a lot of comments that come across as quite hostile to a certain type of poster. Honest and realistic comments can be made without being dismissive and rude.
And the comment about single parents has been dropped into the discourse as though single parents are somehow irresponsible for considering such a move.

people move all the time...the fact they have come to a forum to ask questions is a good thing. Rather than ranting about naivete how about making some suggestions and pointing out the pitfalls.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I have read a few posts and there are a lot of comments that come across as quite hostile to a certain type of poster. Honest and realistic comments can be made without being dismissive and rude. And the comment about single parents has been dropped into the discourse as though single parents are somehow irresponsible for considering such a move. people move all the time...the fact they have come to a forum to ask questions is a good thing. Rather than ranting about naivete how about making some suggestions and pointing out the pitfalls.
I mentioned apparently single parents, as this implies that there isn't any income coming in from the other parent, and no emotional and material support for the upheaval of moving children to another country. The pitfalls have already been clearly stated above: No work lined up and no knowledge of the local language = living on savings for a long time, paying private healthcare coverage, frustrations due to lack of communication ... OK if you're single without dependents, but irresponsible where children are concerned. As for suggestions, I advised learning the language of the country concerned and acquiring marketable qualifications, before taking the plunge.You yourself seem to have had a good job to go to, with additional income from the UK, so you were financially confident to launch into your venture with your children. The OPs in the other threads were asking about job possibilities, with young children and even teenagers in tow. Interestingly, none of them replied to the advice given.No one is being hostile here, just realistic.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
I mentioned apparently single parents, as this implies that there isn't any income coming in from the other parent, and no emotional and material support for the upheaval of moving children to another country. The pitfalls have already been clearly stated above: No work lined up and no knowledge of the local language = living on savings for a long time, paying private healthcare coverage, frustrations due to lack of communication ... OK if you're single without dependents, but irresponsible where children are concerned. As for suggestions, I advised learning the language of the country concerned and acquiring marketable qualifications, before taking the plunge.You yourself seem to have had a good job to go to, with additional income from the UK, so you were financially confident to launch into your venture with your children. The OPs in the other threads were asking about job possibilities, with young children and even teenagers in tow. Interestingly, none of them replied to the advice given.No one is being hostile here, just realistic.
Fair enough!
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Dreams are fine but at some time we all have to cope with reality.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I saw some tragedies involved when I lived and worked in Bulgaria. There was a wave of British "colonisation" starting in the 1990s. Many of the new arrivals did well at adjusting to life in the Balkans. Those who came hoping to work or set up in business did not fare so well. Those with children with them almost invariably had real problems.Dreams are not enough.
So, the problem it seems, is not restricted to the Netherlands.

Last edited by scot47; Oct 4th 2015 at 11:34 am.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
I saw some tragedies involved when I lived and worked in Bulgaria. There was a wave of British "colonisation" starting in the 1990s. Many of the new arrivals did well at adjusting to life in the Balkans. Those who came hoping to work or set up in business did not fare so well. Those with children with them almost invariably had real problems.Dreams are not enough.
So, the problem it seems, is not restricted to the Netherlands.
Which ones made a successful transistion?
I know it will be challenging and I must admit I am in 2 minds. I just realise that if i dont make the move whilst my children are young enough to integrate completely it will never happen, and i dont want to get to their teens and realise that I should have been brave.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Easier for pensioners and others who had an income from outside Bulgaria. Also easier for those with experience of living in "foreign parts". Previous learning and use of foreign languages seemed to be a reliable indicator of ability to adapt. Those obsessed with English football and the need for a "Costa Brava lifestyle" did not last.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Which ones made a successful transistion?
I know it will be challenging and I must admit I am in 2 minds. I just realise that if i dont make the move whilst my children are young enough to integrate completely it will never happen, and i dont want to get to their teens and realise that I should have been brave.
If you have a job lined up, a secure job with rare skills/qualifications like IT or Pharma as opposed to a zero hour contract at a call centre), and the cash in the bank for the initial expenses such as the deposit and rent on a new home and childcare for those annoying Wednesday afternoons when the schools all shut, do it while your children are still young. In their teens it will be too late, you are right (personally, I'd say 9 is the cut off age to successful integration).
Old Oct 6th 2015, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
If you have a job lined up, a secure job with rare skills/qualifications like IT or Pharma as opposed to a zero hour contract at a call centre), and the cash in the bank for the initial expenses such as the deposit and rent on a new home and childcare for those annoying Wednesday afternoons when the schools all shut, do it while your children are still young. In their teens it will be too late, you are right (personally, I'd say 9 is the cut off age to successful integration).
Thanks, it all seems to be doable for me - just need to get the language!
Old Oct 31st 2015, 2:24 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Watched this TV show last night.
Praat Nederlands met me
All about several immigrates to The Netherlands (some are refugees) and their languages skills.
One woman who has live in the country for 8 years seem to be overcome by the whole experience whilst at the other end of the scale two have been in the country for a very short time and talking quite fluidly and with confidence.

Draw you own conclusions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.