Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Old May 9th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Originally Posted by furkew
My BIL have a very big bike shop in Delft.

He has shipped bikes all over Europe before now. You could drop him a line.

He only sells the better brands like Gazelle, Koga, Sparta etc. so no cheap rubbish.

www.pietvonk.nl
Thank you so much! I'll drop him a line and hopefully he's send some bikes my way.....
Old May 9th 2007, 7:33 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje
Thank you so much! I'll drop him a line and hopefully he's send some bikes my way.....
Where are you in the UK ?

I might be able to organize shipping (I work in the cut flower export, and we have trucks go to the UK every day)
Old May 9th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
Where are you in the UK ?

I might be able to organize shipping (I work in the cut flower export, and we have trucks go to the UK every day)
Live in Portsmouth. Spoke to my dad in Almere just a few minutes ago and he's trying to bring me a "omafiets" next time he comes over.
Thank you very much for your help anyway!!!!!
P.S. Every tuesday a dutch flower truck loads off his flowers just on the corner from where I live. We always having a chat and for me it's just nice to hear some dutch....
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:02 am
Just Joined

whiteadi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Hi,

I will move in Netherlands with my wife and 11 months son.
I'll work in Amsterdam but thinking to search for rent in some close
and with less noise area, I spoke a few with a HR person from my future company and suggested Almere, Zaandam or Diemen. I think of a house with 2 or 3 rooms. Going to have 3600 euros gross so not so much for the start.
The first reason to come to Holland is my boy, I want to take him in a civilized country and I think of Holland as one, also as a alien friendly place sort of speak.
In my country the problem is that people are not at all civilized and have no respect of/on others, on property or human being and stuff
anyway, I decided and in 1.5 month I will be there.
So if you have some important facts that I have to know please please tell me.
What I know is:
- rent can be for unfurnished house around 700-800;
- high tax, I will have just 2300 in hand, donno for sure after other expenses like power, internet+phone+tv, food and of course rent (that I say I think is like above) how much I will have left;

I would like to know if there are non-dutch people that meet for fun, not only without Dutch’s, like in clubs, to play football (I play at amateur level) or watch football or other sports or some activities.
Also if for kids is a good place.
If the movies at cinemas are spoken in Dutch or not

But seriously if you have any good advice I would appreciate.
Adrian
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiteadi
Hi,

I will move in Netherlands with my wife and 11 months son.
I'll work in Amsterdam but thinking to search for rent in some close
and with less noise area, I spoke a few with a HR person from my future company and suggested Almere, Zaandam or Diemen. I think of a house with 2 or 3 rooms. Going to have 3600 euros gross so not so much for the start.
The first reason to come to Holland is my boy, I want to take him in a civilized country and I think of Holland as one, also as a alien friendly place sort of speak.
In my country the problem is that people are not at all civilized and have no respect of/on others, on property or human being and stuff
anyway, I decided and in 1.5 month I will be there.
So if you have some important facts that I have to know please please tell me.
What I know is:
- rent can be for unfurnished house around 700-800;
- high tax, I will have just 2300 in hand, donno for sure after other expenses like power, internet+phone+tv, food and of course rent (that I say I think is like above) how much I will have left;

I would like to know if there are non-dutch people that meet for fun, not only without Dutch’s, like in clubs, to play football (I play at amateur level) or watch football or other sports or some activities.
Also if for kids is a good place.
If the movies at cinemas are spoken in Dutch or not

But seriously if you have any good advice I would appreciate.
Adrian
Movies are all subtitled!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by trutje
Movies are all subtitled!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:04 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clair
Well flor,

You got all those things right,I also live in Holland except for the food maybe,there are plenty of different restaurants.
About the people,it really depends on where you live.I've lived in different parts in Holland,for example,in the north(small village)people are nicer than in the big city.I live in Almere,near Amsterdam and I absolutely HATE the mentality here.
I also get the impression Dutch people are kind to visitors but foreigners actually living&working here(especially with dark skin color)are treated like sh*t.
You believe the Dutch are racist?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
You believe the Dutch are racist?
I'm definitely NOT!!!!
I haven't lived in Holland for many years but I've heard people being racist towards Turks and Morocans.
I can't say the Dutch are in general racist but it is around!

I know my brother in law, who I haven't spoken to for many years, would NOT buy anything out of a newspaper from a Turk or Morocan! Always slagging them of
And when I told him he's racist, he just couldn't believe I'd said that because he wasn't.......

When I was over last year for two weeks holiday I also noticed a hostile attitude towards the black Caribbean community. I got really annoyed because at that time I was living in the Caribbean myself and absolutely love them.
I have never understood racism and never will. I can only think it's for narrow minded people!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

tacotejas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You don't say if you'd be working in one of the large cities or not, which makes a difference as to the answer.

1) In cities, no problem. Even in the countryside there are some good restaurants.

2) High taxes yes, but don't know how they compare to the UK's.

3) True, though don't know what you mean about "worse summers" -- maybe slightly cooler.

4) Yes, if you travel at peak times, there are traffic jams (called a "file") that are tens of kms long. However, it isn't any worse than US traffic. If you live close to your work, then it's not as much an issue. City parking is extremely expensive, so commuting to work on bicycle or public transport is attractive.

5) Yes, from what I have seen.

6) In the cities or university towns? No. In the countryside? Yes. Read up on "pillarization." If you were to live in the countryside you would really need to speak Dutch fairly well.

7) Read the book "The Undutchables."
Can anyone tell me about Copenhagan, Language, Schools, Driving, Locals, etc,
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tacotejas
Can anyone tell me about Copenhagan, Language, Schools, Driving, Locals, etc,
Erm if you mean Copenhagen aka Kobenhavn, you'll be needing to look in Denmark, I believe.....
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 5:57 am
Just Joined

lol snowbunny

some info for me, my questions above? or a link, 10x