Netherlands

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Riccardo.Tenaglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Netherlands

Having just returned from living in The Netherlands for three years and with many pleasant memories I would be happy to share these experiences and the intricate details of settling a large family in The Netherlands with expats who intend to move to this lovely country. Plus I still have my house there which I rent out.

Last edited by Sue; Apr 23rd 2006 at 2:23 pm. Reason: Rental details removed. See Classifieds for rental info
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

slyspy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Netherlands

Originally Posted by Riccardo.Tenaglia
Having just returned from living in The Netherlands for three years and with many pleasant memories I would be happy to share these experiences and the intricate details of settling a large family in The Netherlands with expats who intend to move to this lovely country. Plus I still have my house there which I rent out.
Hi Riccardo,

I see that you are now in Australia and lived in the Netherlands.
I am busy with my permanent residency permit for Australia, but while waiting for it, I got a possible opportunity to work and live in Eindhoven, Netherlands.
I am a South African so I will pickup Dutch very easily, and always wanted to work for a while in Europe.
I am currently in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, and I hate the cold, when it rains to much or it under freeze point for 3-4 months of the year.
I am cold when it is 20 degrees cent. outside, but I also don't like the extreme heat waves of 36-50 degrees I grew up with.
I don't have children or a wife, so it is really only me, my mom and my brother I have to consider and obviously the future of having my own family.

If you had to pick between the 2 countries(Netherlands or Australia) or compare them, which one would you pick and for what reasons.

I would have more liked the South of France since it is warmer than the north of Europe, but I can't get a job there, and I only understand very limited French.
I am sure I will absolutely love Australia and fit in easily too.

To me, Australia is the logical choice.
It has warmer weather I am used to, cheapter housing and cost of living compared to Europe. Better salaries, better food, less traffic, children friendly and lost to do outdoors.
I am in IT and tend to hop jobs frequently, so the PR for Australia is also a benefit, instead of relying on a company sponsored visa.
Easier for me to get my brother and other extended family members to live and work in Australia, whereas for Europe this is not going to be an option.
I also am more used to driving on the left of the road, and still have problems driving on the right.
I would like to live and work in a more relaxed atmosphere, than in the hussle and bussle.

There is just something that draws me to Europe, but I can't really tell you what, because I don't know myself.
Maybe it is the ancient building and heretage.
Maybe it is because I am white and feel at home in Europe.
Maybe I want to live and explore France, Holland, Germany and England where my roots came from.
But this is silly, since they immigrated almost 400 years ago.

Anyway, your input and views are appreciated as well as anybody else who would have input to such a difficult choice.

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:12 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slyspy
Hi Riccardo,

I see that you are now in Australia and lived in the Netherlands.
I am busy with my permanent residency permit for Australia, but while waiting for it, I got a possible opportunity to work and live in Eindhoven, Netherlands.
I am a South African so I will pickup Dutch very easily, and always wanted to work for a while in Europe.
I am currently in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, and I hate the cold, when it rains to much or it under freeze point for 3-4 months of the year.
I am cold when it is 20 degrees cent. outside, but I also don't like the extreme heat waves of 36-50 degrees I grew up with.
I don't have children or a wife, so it is really only me, my mom and my brother I have to consider and obviously the future of having my own family.

If you had to pick between the 2 countries(Netherlands or Australia) or compare them, which one would you pick and for what reasons.

I would have more liked the South of France since it is warmer than the north of Europe, but I can't get a job there, and I only understand very limited French.
I am sure I will absolutely love Australia and fit in easily too.

To me, Australia is the logical choice.
It has warmer weather I am used to, cheapter housing and cost of living compared to Europe. Better salaries, better food, less traffic, children friendly and lost to do outdoors.
I am in IT and tend to hop jobs frequently, so the PR for Australia is also a benefit, instead of relying on a company sponsored visa.
Easier for me to get my brother and other extended family members to live and work in Australia, whereas for Europe this is not going to be an option.
I also am more used to driving on the left of the road, and still have problems driving on the right.
I would like to live and work in a more relaxed atmosphere, than in the hussle and bussle.

There is just something that draws me to Europe, but I can't really tell you what, because I don't know myself.
Maybe it is the ancient building and heretage.
Maybe it is because I am white and feel at home in Europe.
Maybe I want to live and explore France, Holland, Germany and England where my roots came from.
But this is silly, since they immigrated almost 400 years ago.

Anyway, your input and views are appreciated as well as anybody else who would have input to such a difficult choice.

Thanks
Hi there Slyspy,

I've been out here now for 19 years, and we are actually in ther process of emigrating to Oz early next year.

my wife does not like the cold like yourself, and Holland can be very cold sometimes, and this is one of the reasons we would like to leave.

Holland is becoming quite crowded compared to when I first came over, and I would like more space (that I can afford !!) so thats another reason.

Reading your post, I would bear a few things in mind when making your decision.

Although Holland can get quite cold in the winter (sometimes below -10c) and being a very flat country has a low chill factor due to the wind, it can actually be very nice in the winter.

Because you are single, you will have a different outlook than myself with wife & kids. There is a fantastic night life in Holland, and all during the summer the beaches are full and the beach clubs are always full of life (weather permitting)

Holland is very central for visiting other European countries. You can be in Belgium, France, Germany all within a couple of hours or less, and within 10 hours drive Poland, Czech republic, Switzerland, Denmark, and plenty more.

The Dutch live a good life, and are very advanced in their technology and are one of the most "computer minded" countries in the world.

Its pretty safe to go out at night, and although there is violence like everywhere else, it is not excessive, and usually drug related or youth gangs.

If you are looking at a short term spell in Holland, I would say definitely give it a try !! Its a really nice country with lots to see and do, the people are very friendly, and all speak very good English, so language problems will be minimumal in the beginning.

You can travel all over Europe quite cheaply, and discover all the different lifestyles in Europe without costing to much.

Its not that cheap over here any more since the € but being in the IT, I would imagine you can still have a good life over here.

Good luck in your decision

Paul
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

I just wanted to reiterate the point about how cold it is here in winter, it also rains for a good part of the year, it rained every single day in August this year! If rainy grey days get you down then Holland might not be for you...
Old Sep 29th 2006, 12:20 am
Just Joined

slyspy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thank you so much for your replies.
Yes the cold will make me miserable as anything under 21 degrees C make my bones pain and I don't like long gloomy winters with rain or drizzle for months.
Give me lots of sunshine and thunderstorms.

The more I think about this, the more I am sure Oz will be for me.
Things especially housing will be a lot cheaper in Oz and the salary too and other benefits too.
The weather in Oz will be just fine and visas are easier to get for my other family members.

Hope things work out for you in Oz and I want also to be there in early next year.
I can't stand the thought of another depressing winter with snow starting in early Dec and only really starts to warm up in late April. It is like living half my life in a freezer.

Thanks again for all your replies.