Moving to Netherlands questions.

Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

PunkinHed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Netherlands questions.

I translated it using chrome, but just correct me if I'm wrong here.

My Birth Certificate and Divorce Certificate, which will both be issued in the UK, just need an apostille stamp to be legalized, then they are ready to be used in Netherlands, so no problems here?

However, my marriage certificate from Canada will need to be legalized in the Netherlands, which can be done upon arriving in the Netherlands, if it's requested.

This all correct?

I'm still unsure about legalizing a foreign marriage, I can still do this after I've been divorced, that correct too? (Such as obtaining marriage certificate after divorce)

Last edited by PunkinHed; Jan 20th 2014 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

KatieJoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PunkinHed

Katie, how are you getting it legalized, by getting an Apostille Stamp on it here in the UK?
I am getting my birth certificate legalized with an apostille stamp in the UK. They only accept a certified copy of your certificate if you're born before 1991. You have to buy £23, your own birth certificate. Then send it off to get it legalised with an application form. That's another £30 per document.

In my opinion it's a farce and a money making scheme but it has to be done.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised
Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

I'll have a few documents to do, luckily my planned move isn't until a good few months away, so gives me time to sort it.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

I translated it using chrome, but just correct me if I'm wrong here.

My Birth Certificate and Divorce Certificate, which will both be issued in the UK, just need an apostille stamp to be legalized, then they are ready to be used in Netherlands, so no problems here?
I though you had a Dutch partner!

I assume that once the divorce is registered and incorporated into your UK-issued documents, they are exempt from legalization or in other words should be automatically registered into the Gemeente acts. However my own Gemeente has given me very hard time even accepting a birth certificate from my country. I suggest you go with a Dutch speaking person the day you register to the council.

You can also web-chat with the Juridish Loket:
https://chat.juridischloket.nl/chat/

However in my experience they give better service when you speak Dutch (again, ask your partner to do the job).
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

I do have a dutch partner. We don't live together currently, she's home in Netherlands and I'm in the UK. Due to her studying and schedule, our talking time is reduced lately, hence why I translated using chrome.

When I eventually do move and go to register, my girlfriend will be joining.

Thanks for all your help though, I'll make sure to have all my important documents with me when I arrive anyway.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Hey again,

When getting the documents stamped with an apostille stamp, do they need to be less than 6 months old or so, or would I be fine to get that out the way now, even if my move won't be til November-ish (hopefully anyway)?

Thanks again
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Hey again,

When getting the documents stamped with an apostille stamp, do they need to be less than 6 months old or so, or would I be fine to get that out the way now, even if my move won't be til November-ish (hopefully anyway)?

Thanks again
Best thing is to ask the Gemeente in advance. Research on their website.

6 months should be enough but I've seen on my council's website that they accept documents not older than 3 months.

Remember, at the end of the day you'll be dealt with by some frustrated
bureaucrat who might want to make your life hard just for fun.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Hello. I am a Brit married to a Dutch citizen. There is a small chance we might move permanently to Holland later this year or early next. I am a pensioner. I have been reading the above and wonder how much of it, if any, I would need to have done because of my marriage status?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:00 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Are any of your docs in English or Spanish?
What docs are in Dutch?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Are any of your docs in English or Spanish?
What docs are in Dutch?
Mine are all in English. Our wedding certificate is in English. We have both been married before. Only my wife's birth certificate and passport are in Dutch. She has not lived in Holland for 32 years.

Last edited by rafikiphoto; Apr 11th 2014 at 11:26 am.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:15 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are going to have to get them stamped with an Apostille Stamp too.
I have my original birth certifacte, which is in nice handwriting, the one with a stamp was plain and with typed text. It was horrible!
I take it your trip to Madrid for the passport went well.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I take it your trip to Madrid for the passport went well.
Not yet. Later in the year. At least the next will be valid for 10 years.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have my original birth certifacte, which is in nice handwriting, the one with a stamp was plain and with typed text. It was horrible!
Me too. lovely script in indelible ink!
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:05 am

I thought the passport was due already.
Good luck with your plans.