Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Which Metro Stop to Live Near in Amsterdam

Which Metro Stop to Live Near in Amsterdam

Old Jul 15th 2014, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold
Default Which Metro Stop to Live Near in Amsterdam

Hi Everyone,

I will be moving to Amsterdam next month and need to take the subway (M54) to Arena station every day. I'm wondering where to stay that makes my commute easy but is also a nice neighborhood to live in.

The stops on the M54 route are:
Centraal Station
Nieuwmarkt
Waterlooplein
Weesperplein
Wibautstraat
Amstel
Spaklerweg
Van der Madeweg
Duivendrecht
Strandvliet

I'm thinking either Nieuwmarkt, Waterlooplein or Weesperplein since they're close enough to the center. I'd like there to be some restaurants, a gym, bars, typical neighborhood things nearby, I'm alone so no concerns about family stuff.

Nieuwmarkt looks good but is it too close to the red light district? I'm not prudish but would prefer to be in a slightly more... wholesome environment. Please let me know any thoughts, many thanks,

AR
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Metro Stop to Live Near in Amsterdam

Waterlooplein has a great market, lots of diverse shops (if that's your thing). But generally, the nearer to 'the ring' you are, the most €€€ you will pay. Amstel is a nicer compromise.

Incidently, you don't *need* to take the metro: ArenA is a big terminal for busses from all over the area. For example, Amstelveen (highly skilled knowledge expat town of choice) might meet your needs (bars, gyms, shopping malls, theatre, etc) and benefits from the ZuidTangent (Express Bus 300) which will get you to either ArenA or Schiphol Airport in a very fast time. (16 and 14 mins respectively, according to 9292ov.nl)

Depending on how you like your fun, Bijlmer is walking distance. It's a massive multi-culti area with hundreds of inexpensive ethnic shops and normal Dutch department stores, and even has street festivals (think NottingHill) but it does have a reputation for being a little more *cough* dangerous.