Insect Bites in Amsterdam

Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

gogs_kaz is on a distinguished road
Default Insect Bites in Amsterdam

Hi All,

Is there a big problem with mosquitos in Amsterdam ??
We've been here 5 months now and over the last month my family and I have been waking up each morning with nasty looking bites.
Coming from scotland, these look very much like midge bites to me.
We've never seen any of the blighters yet and are never aware of being bitten yet every day there are more red swollen bite marks.

Any thoughts\comments\suggestions would be welcome.

Other than that, Amsterdam is great !!

Cheers
Gogs
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insect Bites in Amsterdam

Yep, every night is mozzie night around here in summer. Lots of standing water everywhere for them to breed in.
You either need to close your windows before it gets dark or get a mozzie net to sleep in.
I've never seen such monster mozzies before as some of the ones I've managed to splat against the bedroom wall at 2am in the morning.
Some nights they drive us nuts. You can hear 'em zipping about your head. When the light goes on they seem to be able to disappear and then instantly reappear when the light goes off.
Have been wondering if De Appie sells insect spray....
Old Aug 18th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived on a houseboat, we had trouble with the small open boats left tied up around us. people would only bail them out when they wanted to use them, and went away for the summer just leaving them to fill with rainwater.
I used to pour a little oil into them, that did the trick. The mosi's couldn't penetrate the surface film.
Mostly it was ok, and we slept with open windows; it's different in different areas, some friends had big problems with them.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies.
Think I may have to invest in a net, with the heat wave at the moment and no A\C in the house I cant close the windows

Thanks
Gogs
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

irismom is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont mean to hijack this thread but I saw in another thread that you have moved to Amsterdam and your children are attending the British School. We are moving to Amsterdam this January 2013 and our two children will be attending. Could you please let me know your thoughts on the school... also where did you settle in Amsterdam? We are looking in the canal section and Oud Zuid near Vondelpark...can you give any thoughts on where to live as I am concerned about how the kids will get to school...by bike, tram...walk?

THANK YOU!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi Irismom,

I'll start a new thread with replies to your questions.

Gogs