IJburg

Old Mar 7th 2015, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Wittepeet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IJburg

Hi,
We are moving from the centre of Amsterdam and thinking of buying an appartment in IJburg, does anyone have any advise or experience in IJburg, we get conflicting stories, both positive and negative
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:44 am
Just Joined

EdwardWII is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IJburg

I am moving to Singel area. I have been in Amsterdam many times and never in Singel area and just added a question about it to the forum too.

But to your question. Yes I have been in IJburg. It is very convenient place to live. My friend lived there before. You have a small shopping center with Albert Heijn, another very cheap grocery store, good tasty bakery, blokker - mostly small electronics and household items.

IJburg is also a great place if you like to run. Lots of good streets to run by the water, trolley to the centrum takes like 15 mins, most apartments have a cheap parking space and storage options. There is also one outside place where you can do chin ups and other work outs ( I am a work-out-a-holic ).

Only big minus is that there are lots of new immigrants from middle eastern countries and lots of them are involved in crimes. So after 20:00 I would not go to the shopping street or let my daughter out. There are many worst places in Amsterdam. But if you have no children then I definitely recommend IJburg. If kids under 15, then NO.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Wittepeet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your comments I have been to visit Ijburg and although I only spent an hour walking round, I agree there is lots of open spaces and nice walks along the water, I didn't see any issues around the shop areas, but then again it was only mid day.

I will consider your kind input and thanks again for your help.

I will look for your thread about TH Single, best wishes

Peter
Old Mar 12th 2015, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

EdwardWII is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wittepeet
Hi Edward,

Thanks for your comments I have been to visit Ijburg and although I only spent an hour walking round, I agree there is lots of open spaces and nice walks along the water, I didn't see any issues around the shop areas, but then again it was only mid day.

I will consider your kind input and thanks again for your help.

I will look for your thread about TH Single, best wishes

Peter
Yes. Check out the Albert Heijn "Gang" on weekends and sometimes on other days when it gets dark. There are some kids hanging out and smoking sigarettes in the age of 12. Not good role models for younger kids.