Healthinsurance

Old May 23rd 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Chris10218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthinsurance

Goodmorning.
I am moving to the Netherlands next week. Room sorted, appointment gemeentehuis to register and obtain BSN nr sorted. In process of making appointment to open bank account.
That leaves the dreaded zorgverzekering. Do I need to obtain this before I move?
If not, what happens if I need urgent medical care?
Can you register with a GP without insurance?
And how do you go about claiming some of it back through benefits if at all?
Many thanks.
Chris
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthinsurance

Hi Chris,

Welcome (soon) to the Netherlands. where are you moving to and where are you coming from?

Just sign up with an insurance provider once you're here and have your BSN etc.

you can assess providers of health insurance here: https://www.zorgkiezer.nl/
if eligible you can claim back some health insurance costs the government with Zorgtoeslag - see more info here: https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/w...ag/zorgtoeslag

If you are in urgent need of health care and you didn't get your health insurance yet then your european health card from your country should provide access (if you are european).

Stevie
Old May 24th 2017, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Chris10218 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, that's useful. I will do that.
Appointment at gemeentehuis has been booked for BsN nr.
My mum is Dutch but has been in the uk a long time!
I'm moving to Zaandam. Got a room through kamernet.nl. Hoping to take some courses to improve my Dutch, work, be happy.
My Oma has bought me a folding bike so I can take it on the train.
Ns discount card has been sorted.
Old May 24th 2017, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris10218
Thank you, that's useful. I will do that.
Appointment at gemeentehuis has been booked for BsN nr.
My mum is Dutch but has been in the uk a long time!
I'm moving to Zaandam. Got a room through kamernet.nl. Hoping to take some courses to improve my Dutch, work, be happy.
My Oma has bought me a folding bike so I can take it on the train.
Ns discount card has been sorted.

sounds like you're quite prepared and have done some good research already. Having your Oma here will be nice to have someone to rely on incase needed, and we're always here to answer any questions you have!

good luck with the move
Old May 25th 2017, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

You can move here without it. But when you register with an insurer, it's likely that they will backdate it to the date you registered here. It's common sense to do it as soon as possible.

You can register with and attend a GP (huisarts) without insurance, but expect to pay for the consultation: it cost us around 25 euros, 10 years ago, for a consultation just to get a repeat prescription. As GP visits are covered under health insurance though, just keep the receipt and claim it back once you have your policy documents.

There are comparison websites for health insurance, such as independer.nl. Be careful about very cheap policies unless you are incredibly fit and don't expect to need medical treatment, but could afford a larger excess in the case you had an emergency.

If you're no- or low-paid, you might qualify for a monthly rebate from the taxman for your insurance (zorgtoeslag), which can cover upto 75% of your monthly installment. Information, in Dutch. You will need to be legally registered first with BSN, and you will also need to register for your online DigiD, a personal ID/password which is gives you access to all government websites in order to register for any benefits. Info in English