Freeview TV does it work in NL

Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:42 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future
Default Freeview TV does it work in NL

Just moved back to Amsterdam after 5 years in Australia.

Last time was here, I used to have a sky dish on the roof, a decoder and a 'free channels' card that my father got for me. It was set up for me by a guy based down in Den Haag.

Now we're back, would like to have it again, but currently living in rented accommodation, so even if I could track the guy down again, not my place to install a dish.

Was looking at the Freeview set top boxes, and the indoor ariels for sale in the Argos catalogue, would they work to get the UK tele in Amsterdam?..
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

LexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really nice
Default Re: Freeview TV does it work in NL

Hi Adrian,

You can get Sky in Holland without problems on your set-top box but the only drawback is that the card gets locked to the box when you/they set it up for you so you'll have to do that in the UK (as you need to call in to activate the card) and then bring them both out here with you.

There are other set-top boxes available like the Freeview you mention but haven't set these up myself so I suggest you contact the makers themselves and ask about the set-up for use abroad.

If all else fails I can help you with a programme that will get you the BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc, and all the other UK tv stations on your pc.
I'm an affiliate for the company but don't want to spam here so please send pm for info if you wish.

Lexy.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:04 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Some cable packages have BBC1 & 2 included.
Most TV in NL is via cables.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:23 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies, but just to be clear, the entire purpose to look at the Freeview option is because I want more than just the BBC1 and BBC2 options offered by the NL cable suppliers.

As I mentioned, used to have a Sky sat dish, decoder and so forth when I lived here before, and that enabled me to get all the free channels such as ITV, C4 and so on.

As I'm in rented accommodation, looking for something less permanent that a sat dish, but ideally a set top box kind of solution if one exists..
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

LexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really nice

Hi Adrian,

I agree that a set-top box would be best but you need a satellite signal to feed it. I have a Sky box but this gives no access to the BBC iPlayer or any of the other on-demand tv sites.

The programme I mentioned will give you access to all the Brits channels plus France, Canada, Usa, Germany, Ireland and a whole host of others. You will have to watch on a pc screen but they are pretty good nowadays and for $6 per month you can view what you like.

Lexy.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:01 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few free programmes to watch UK TV on your PC.
Read or ask in this section. of expats.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

The Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really nice

I have an old sky box pointed at Astra 2.
Paid peanuts for a second hand dish from Marktplaats.
Put it up myself and am a happy bunny.
Get lots of UK channels and the BBC red button - which is great for watching the Motorbikes!!!!
I dont have a card in it and just watch the free to view channels (about 30 or so of them i think )
Give me a shout if u want any info.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

mytek57 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am interested in how you got freeview to work in the netherlands.
I have a couple of options for my aprtment.

I seem to get a least KPN analogue from a coax plug in the wall.
However I thought I may also be able to get some free digital channels as well with a suitable decoder. I wondered if a cheap standard freeview box from the likes of asda uk would do? I may get an lcd tv with a built in tuner - would it not be able to show the free digital channels.

I also have a chance of getting a old sky hd box which would I could hook up to a satellite dish and get freeview channels

So option 1 is cheap freewview decoder which I need to try by plugging into my existing coax and see what I get.

Option 1 is the sky hd box + sat dish

thoughts?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I use a programmable box called VUduo. When coupled to a satellite dish aimed at Astra 2, I receive all the free to air British channels. You don't need a card at all unless you want the pay-for channels. That can be done, but not legally if you're outside the UK.
I think the box was E179 or so. The Duo is meant to be connected with 2 cables to a double reviver head [duo or quad LNB]; this allows you to record one channel while watching another. You can also stop and rewind live TV [time shift].
If you buy the box in NL, it usually comes loaded with Dutch language software. You can buy from the UK, they cost about 20% more, but will work out of the box for you.
I downloaded new software over the internet; it's all open source, legally free and unix based.
The box also works as an HD media player for downloaded files. Mine came with a 750gb hard disk in it.
The box has a lan connection so you can connect it to the internet; then you can get indb movie ratings straight from the program guide at the push of a button, which is cool, and also download updates and plug-ins. I can watch TV on my laptop through the box and my in house LAN network.
Whatever box you buy, make sure it's HD ready. there's a lot of old stock that won't handle HD channels, and they sell those cheap.
There are also a lot of fakes sold through ebay and even Amazon, they usually work, but better to buy through a reputable shop.
Of course, all of this only works if you can mount a dish with line of sight to the satellite.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

maraudermaher is an unknown quantity at this point

you can watch free UK tv in Holland and its called freesat because you have to have a satellite to be able to get the channels. I have a sky tv subscription for my living room and freesat tv in two separate bedrooms all running from the same dish! I found a good company called skysat-digital to provide the equipment and installaion.
I could never get by with just watching Dutch tv..
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Lesley Gunn is an unknown quantity at this point

There's some useful info on English TV at http://dutchcommunity.com/...it's a blog for Dutch emigrants and expats living in the Netherlands. Has some great Dutch recipes too, if you fancy trying some real Dutch cooking.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have freeview, but I do have a package from Canaldigitaal(.nl) who offer ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 (does anyone watch that?), filmfour, the +1 channels, and more (but no 'Dave' or 'devaju' or the likes which appear in UK TV guides but which came out after we moved here).

It involved having a small'ish - removable (should we move house, it's ours!) - satelite dish fitted which cost around €199 as a one-off. Now we pay around €19.99 per month: not free-view, but similar to the costs we paid back in the UK (or am I out of date?)

Note: avoid expat shield as hubby got a virus after he installed this!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

maraudermaher is an unknown quantity at this point

red_wine_fairy..

I have more than 150 free to air British tv and radio channels and I don't pay a penny in monthly costs! I had the dish and cables installed for €340 and I own everything I was given in the installation.

I can also upgrade to a Sky subscription using the same satellite set up at a later date if I choose to. I also have the option of running another 3 boxes from the satellite in seperate rooms for the kids if i want to.. all for free! no monthly costs. I wouldn't pay a company €20 a month to provide me with tv channels that are free to watch.

Next month I'm gonna buy a freesat recorder so I can tape stuff when i'm out. I bought mine with skysat-digital