A few questions....

Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

leanneandbill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions....

Hi guys and gals

Hope everyone is keeping well

My partner and I are intending on moving to the Netherlands in approx a year's time, Enschede or Apeldoorn. He has lived in Enschede before and worked as a slaughterman and could walk into a job tomo. He loves the country and the people and cant wait to get back there from the UK. I am a little more reserved on the idea as i have only visited the country twice, both when i was quite young. However i am on board with the idea what with life in the UK becoming more and more difficult. My partner is currently a very very skilled labourer and would prefer to get work doing something more in that industry such as welding or steelwork, both of which he has experience and would get qualifications before we move if they are transferable. Any idea on the availability of this type of work? And the average wage?

As we have the long time frame we would like to do everything properly and intend on learning the language and saving up a chunk of money as i wont necessarily be able to find work straight away. I dont really have any measurable skills but i am an avid dog lover and quite knowledgable ont eh subject! So i am hoping to just pick up some regular dog walking/sitting work with a view to opening a kennels/daycare. I can get references from a dog charity that i have been volunteering for in the UK. Does this sound like an idea that may appeal to people in these areas? Also, what sort of insurance, permits etc would i need?

Also what is the situation with cannabis in the country? Is it something that everyone smokes on the street corner or is it still frowned upon even though its legal?

I have read somewhere that it is very difficult for expats to make friends with the Dutch and tend to mix among other expats. How accurate is this? I have always found the Dutch to be a generally friendly, warm, open and honest people but many forums ive read say the complete opposite (apart from the honest bit!)

How is it for living costs? The Uk is very expensive at the moment and although i have found the property rental very reasonable there its difficult to gauge what a weekly shop would be! Is there a lot of difference within diet compared to the UK?

And one last strange question, how easy is it to buy plus size clothes?

I know ive asked a lot and i will continue to research for myself but theres nothing like a first hand experience so thank you in advance for any replies

Peace, Love and Laughter to all

Leanne xx
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions....

I can answer some of your questions. Cost of living here is quite high (although lower in the areas you're looking at compared to Amsterdam/the Hague etc). Remember tax is much, much higher here and you have to have health insurance by law, which will set you back a minimum of 100 Euros a month (more depending on the kind of coverage you want). I don't know if you have small kids, but the cost of childcare is horrific (so my friends tell me).

In regard to food, the Dutch eat a lot of similar stuff to the English... lots of meat and potatoes and cheese and ham sandwiches. I find the largest chain of supermarkets, Albert Hein, is more expensive than Sainsbury's/Tesco. But you'll be able to get almost everything here that you can get at home (although bring a supply of tea with you if you can't live without your PG tips).

Only teenagers and foreigners smoke cannabis on street corners.

Care for dogs is in huge demand in the cities - I suggest you target expats (you can charge more and in general, Dutch people get their families to help with dog care). No one really cares about qualifications (as a dog owner, I've never asked for them; I go on feeling and how the dog reacts to the person).

As for learning Dutch, don't bother until you get here. You'll never, ever be able to learn enough at a distance to hold a conversation. And, it will take you a good few years when you're here to get a good basis.

I'm sure plus size clothes are very easy to find. Dutch women are on average tall and generously proportioned (all those dairy products ).
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Aww thanks so much for your reply

No children and no plans for any either so no worries about the childcare!

I didnt literally mean on the street corners, more like is it easily available and commonplace?

Great news on the dog front Id still like to get some qualifications such as canine first aid and basic obedience and behaviour. It can only help. Be interested to find out what sort and cost of any insurances that i would need are.

Re learning dutch, my partner has lots of dutch friends so was hoping to have some more conversational lessons with them through skype once i had the basics down.

Glad to know i wont have a problem finding plus size clothes. I modelled for a dutch designer in a fashion show in london in febuary so i will have to look her up

Thanks again for your reply

Peace, Love and Laughter xx
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, cannabis is very easy to get hold of. Walk into coffeeshop, buy it, smoke it or take it home and smoke it. Easypeasy.

Do you mean insurances for being a dog walker? Not sure there are any...this is not a libelous culture. But most Dutch people have 'personal liability insurance' which means if you cause an accident, break someone's antique vase, spill paint on someone's expensive shoes etc your insurance will pay. You'd probably want to have something like that.

If you are talking about health insurance, you'll need at least basic coverage by law which will involve a high own risk (you pay the first xx amount...I think 850 or something).
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

In the UK i would need to take out to protect myself and the dog/owners in case something were to happen while the dog was in my care ie if the dog got hurt or damaged someones property/hurt someone. I wondered if it may be the same there.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:26 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
sherbert came up with VG points,
I lived in central holland 30 years ago my son was born there
Food international ,but also excellent indonesian restaurants, and shops.

Language...known as the chinese of europe...I speak German,I got through but when anybody Goes to a country to live ..not immediate but start Asap to pick up words and
Short sentences...Its a help to watch dutch tele and kino.subtitles underneath.
You learn the language you learn the people...!!!

Hey !!!this is holland.....its not 40mles away from Uk. Visit different parts of the country
It aint big...take a bike, find out yourself how far you can go first with your english,
And first dutch words..while visiting go to markets and pubs.

Simple saying...
All people all over the world are friendly...if not "its you"

Mixing no problem, even with poor language skills,
Some people old and young whether in the big city or village when asked, "do you speak English, answer yes...then they hear your accent, sometimes ok sometimes
Strange looks, but they will laugh with you...not against you.

Dogs...dutch love their dogs, in some places they have dog pensions, maybe ask
For a PT/holiday job at one of these places, ask then their opinions, or try work
On farms..holiday jobs .no great money but you can learn...if the land can offer you your future.
Also look at different internet sites for work in holland,its not all skilled and qualified.
Dog walking or taking daycare and walking them may get you a 400-450euro job
To start, local papers are more than usefull, helps with the language when searching.
Like I said Holland aint far, so the risk and the jump is not so big.
Oh and clothes big cities you find large sizes, and C&A are still in business in holland
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

This is a country of no accountability and the onus is on the buyer/user of services rather than the provider (the professional dog walkers that I have employed required me to have personal liability insurance; if my dog damages something while under someone else's care, it's still my fault and my insurance covers it). If you're running your own business (officially, rather than cash in hand) you may need some sort of corporate liability insurance. In the beginning just make sure that your clients have personal liability insurance (most people have it).

Use the internet (who reads newspapers!??!!??!)

As for friendliness of the locals, I think it depends where you are. In the cities, it's hard to make friends. In smaller towns it's probably easier...
Old Nov 25th 2013, 12:55 pm

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A few questions....

Your first paragraph here Sherbert, I find positive over liability, not negative.
On mainland Europe..if you, your dog/pet, or your children have an accident causing other Peoples damage to them or property, its right for them to recover damages or not!!.
Its not a big deal in holland Germany and other countries, you take out a family
Persnal insurance, usually with your house insurance (rented or ownership).
Its a normal mind set.For example, a few years ago on a campsite in france,
My young son , then 7, slid off his cycle in the campsite and hit a parked car,
Small damage, but 200- 300 (then d.mark).We had no agro, mywife and I spoke and
Apologised to the owner, obviously my son was upset, but it was his fault, the owner
Of the car was coincidently dutch, in fact he was more than understanding, in fact over the rest of the holiday he and his family were friendly to us and especially our son
So having an Insurance is more than a responsible and accountable stand.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

So from the above what i am gathering is that the responsibility would of any insurances would be on the dog owners? Would i need to register with local authorities in order to pay tax, get licensed etc before i started working?

Also, after to speaking to one of my partners dutch friends, she advised that finding housing is very difficult in Holland and the waiting list for a flat/house with a garden is 4 years! Is this just among social type of housing as she said it wasnt which confused me!

Thank you for all replies
Old Nov 25th 2013, 1:30 pm

A little tip,
Sites like this are good for soundbites, but go to the dutch konsulate, and their
Small business information sites, dont be afraid of using the official way.

Housing, its tight , but there are housing companies, and some estate agencies
Rent direct.....an old adhege is still appropiate.....test the water with your own feet.!!

Take a week or a long weekend and go the area, that interests you and you spouse,
Use you feet in the day, and local pubs at night, and unlike other opinions,
Very local papers....may have offers.!!! Small jobs and business and housing.
Not all people use internet, but if you have a laptop or tablet take it with You