Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

using a british car in neatherlands.

using a british car in neatherlands.

Old May 20th 2011, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

lancsplumber is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile using a british car in neatherlands.

Hi any help or links would be appreciated regarding using my british registered car in holland, insurance tax mot etc and how long would my british license be valid for?
Old May 20th 2011, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

danielwilliams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: using a british car in neatherlands.

Originally Posted by lancsplumber
Hi any help or links would be appreciated regarding using my british registered car in holland, insurance tax mot etc and how long would my british license be valid for?
is your plan to live out there or just a visit?

if its just a visit, all you need is insurance that covers you third party valid tax and mot, if your planning on moving out there, you need to export your car and register it in holland, therfor your insurance premium will be sky high due to the car being an import...

^^ that is everything i was told
Old May 20th 2011, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lancsplumber
also i do believe if you planning on moving there you need to exchange you brittish passport and your driving licence for the dutch equivelent. aswell as register as a dutch citizen for your working tax number, i was told to book my appointment to register over there whilst in britain as they generally tell you to come back in 3 weeks, and thats 3 weeks without work sometimes
Old May 20th 2011, 4:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danielwilliams
also i do believe if you planning on moving there you need to exchange you brittish passport and your driving licence for the dutch equivelent. aswell as register as a dutch citizen for your working tax number, i was told to book my appointment to register over there whilst in britain as they generally tell you to come back in 3 weeks, and thats 3 weeks without work sometimes
Err ... I dont know who told you that Daniel, but I think I'd get another adviser

You dont have to become a Dutch citizen and give up your UK citizenshipto live in Holland, or indeed anywhere else in the EU if you are a EU citizen
Old May 20th 2011, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Err ... I dont know who told you that Daniel, but I think I'd get another adviser

You dont have to become a Dutch citizen and give up your UK citizenshipto live in Holland, or indeed anywhere else in the EU if you are a EU citizen
i enquiered about quiet a few jobs whilst i was there last week, i was told i need to register as a dutch citizen and gain a tax number before they would consider employing me, also the guy in barneys told me the same
Old May 20th 2011, 4:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

i enquiered about quiet a few jobs whilst i was there last week, i was told i need to register as a dutch citizen and gain a tax number before they would consider employing me, also the guy in barneys told me the same
Well as an EU citizen you are able to travel anywhere in Europe for work. You dont have to renounce your UK citizenship, but in many countries you have to register as a resident. That's not the same as changing your citizenship/nationality. You get a tax number, and you get a resident certificate.

In Spain for instance it can take 10 years to get Spanish citizenship

Unless there is some outlandish law in Holland that breaks EU law, I think you may be getting residency and citizenship mixed up
Old May 20th 2011, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Well as an EU citizen you are able to travel anywhere in Europe for work. You dont have to renounce your UK citizenship, but in many countries you have to register as a resident. That's not the same as changing your citizenship/nationality. You get a tax number, and you get a resident certificate.

In Spain for instance it can take 10 years to get Spanish citizenship

Unless there is some outlandish law in Holland that breaks EU law, I think you may be getting residency and citizenship mixed up
yeah maybee i am, so its dutch residency you need to apply for for your tax number?
Old May 20th 2011, 5:02 pm
Senior Moment

yeah maybee i am, so its dutch residency you need to apply for for your tax number?
I think so, yes ... and you dont need to do anything about your passport. Thats yours for life

If you are working there you need to get residency and your tax sorted, for it probably also means that you will be able to access the health system

Others will know more about the local system there .... I'm in Spain so know how it works here. Here you have to go to the Social Security offices to get registered
Old May 20th 2011, 5:54 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

First of all will you guys stop talking about Holland. It is a small part of The Netherlands. Some one might get confused about what you are talking about.

Importing a car. Read the Wiki.
RE Driving Licence: Read the Wiki.
Car insurance, read the Wiki.
How to get your Burgerservicenummer (this is maybe what you think is your tax number) http://www.burgerservicenummer.nl/
You may hear the term SOFInummer. This is the old term for Burgerservicenummer.
BTW guess what, this is also in the Wiki!

Hope that clears the confusion up.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; May 20th 2011 at 5:58 pm.
Old May 20th 2011, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
First of all will you guys stop talking about Holland. It is a small part of The Netherlands. Some one might get confused about what you are talking about.

How to get your Burgerservicenummer (this is maybe what you think is your tax number) http://www.burgerservicenummer.nl/

Thanks, looking to move there to live and work. And i think with agency work i could still work and pay into the british tax and ni system while in the eu.
Old May 20th 2011, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Had a look on wiki and cant seem to find anything to match my searches . Just struggling mainly to find a english speaking dutch insurer.
Old May 20th 2011, 7:21 pm
Senior Moment

I used to do a lot of business with people in Zwindrecht and Rotterdam and was over there a lot .... they always referred to the country as Holland
Old May 20th 2011, 8:51 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do a lot of business with people in Zwindrecht and Rotterdam and was over there a lot .... they always referred to the country as Holland
When I lived in the country is was usually called Nederland
The official county name is Koninkrijk der Nederlanden

The language is called Nederlands.
There 2 parts of The Netherlands called Holland North Holland
and South Holland
The country is broken into 12 provinces of which there are just two.
When you talk about Holland as a country it is like saying someone from any part of the UK is English.
The term Hollander is used in some parts of the country when talking about the supposed arrogance of people from the Randstad.
There are only 2 times the word Holland is officially used. One for the football team and the other for the tourism website.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:35 pm
Senior Moment

There are only 2 times the word Holland is officially used. One for the football team and the other for the tourism website.
And of course by those that I met and worked with in Rotterdam and Zwindrecht
Old May 21st 2011, 2:19 pm

And of course by those that I met and worked with in Rotterdam and Zwindrecht

LOL------- me I was classed as a country bumking living in Enidhoven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.