Dutch employer, British resident

Old May 30th 2018, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

DannyBomBom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dutch employer, British resident

I'm going to be employed by a Dutch company about 2 months before I move to the Netherlands. During this 2 month period, I will be living and working remotely in the UK and will be spending a week per month in the Netherlands.

The arrangement that the company is suggesting is as follows.
1. I apply for a BSN as a temporary Dutch resident.
2. The company pays me via the Dutch system.
3. I work remotely most of the time, but spend a week each month in the Netherlands.
4. After the initial 2 months, I will move to the Netherlands and they will apply for the 30% ruling then.

In this scenario, I'm assuming that I will pay full Dutch tax as I will not have the 30% ruling yet. Will I also pay social security contributions as I am not yet employed in the Netherlands? I've read something about the A1 exemption that I hope applies?

Also I'm digging through some lengthy documents about Dutch/UK tax treaties, and I am hoping this means that I will not be taxed by both the Dutch and the British while I'm living in the UK?

Any advice/information gratefully received.
Old May 30th 2018, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dutch employer, British resident

Get yourself proper financial advice for this one. I'm assuming you negotiated some things with your contract such as representation to apply for the 30% ruling (which has just been slashed again btw) and to sort your taxes out for the first year? You have four months to claim the 30% tax ruling retrospectively, having been ''recruited from abroad'' and assuming you earn enough, so you really are up against the clock to find somewhere legal to live and register. The company is trying not to create red flags for the tax man by paying a salary into a foreign bank account, so don't expect easy answers, but I think you already worked that out. Even getting a bank account without proof of residence (GBA uitreksel) might prove problematic - be prepared to shop around different branches to find someone sympathetic to your plight.
Old May 31st 2018, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with RWF on this one. The Dutch tax system uses a "183 days per calendar year rule". Depending on when this job contract is supposed to start you might be required to pay tax in the Netherlands. Or not if you don't reach the 183 days in 2018. Get yourself professional advice.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Until you are actually resident in NL you will fall under UK legislation. You won't pay double tax as UK/NL have a dual taxation agreement.
Your BSN wont be valid or available until you have officially left UK and have a Dutch residency address.
You don't say what your current status is, however it would probably be advisable to work as a freelancer/self employed for those first 2 months and then you can just invoice your future employer for your work, and sort tax/social security payments yourself under UK rules.