Car insurance during move

Old May 15th 2018, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

DannyBomBom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance during move

I'm moving to the Netherlands and was going to bring a car along as part of the move.

From what I understand, I have 6 - 8 weeks from the move before I need to register the car. My question is what happens to insurance during this transition period when the car still has UK plates, but I am now living in the Netherlands. I know I will have to update my current UK insurer about the address change, and I assume that they're going to cancel the policy? Dutch insurers seem to require a Dutch number plate before giving me an insurance quote. This seems like a catch 22 to me.

Any ideas about staying insured during this transition?
Old May 16th 2018, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance during move

You get an Insurance green card from your UK Insurer to cover the period up until the UK plates are removed.

You can possibly ask your Dutch insurer to give you temporary cover based on the VIN details and then provide them with the Dutch registration once your car has been inspected and passed.
Old May 16th 2018, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your insurer how long they will insure your car for driving in Europe - I think it's 60-90 days (it used to be). That will tie in with your deadline of getting it registered here. It's not a massive deal so save your stresses for other logistical problems

I would advise anyone though: unless you have a really deep, emotional attachment to your (right hand drive) car, fully knowing that it will have zero value when you sell as you will never be able to trade it in here where everyone drives LHD cars, sell it in the UK and buy one over here. And only buy one over here if you have the land to park it on (eg. don't even dream about car ownership if you're moving to a city centre where you have to join a list and wait for a permit to park in your own neighbourhood zone.
Old May 17th 2018, 7:43 am
Just Joined

DannyBomBom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. My current insurance comes with 180 days cover for driving in the EU so in that sense I will be covered.

I suppose I just keep quiet about the change to my residential address and hope for the best? We should be moving to a place with parking provided, and the car is necessary for us as we won't be living in the middle of a nice city centre that has good transport links.